.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

eric1115

WKR
Thanks. When you do have an opportunity to chronograph it, please let us know.

Average ended up being 2765 (77SMK, 24.0 TAC, mostly LC brass, T3x Compact) on the magnetospeed.

Poor SD (33 for 10 rounds) but I expected it with bulk thrown charges.

A couple more 10 round groups, 0.9 and 1.1 MOA. 100% happy with this for practice ammo.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
It’s always bitter sweet opening a new box
8998c945bb4748160724c1a5ff7286aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahr

FNG
Post #1 asked for experience with "similar bullets" to the 77TMK. Ive tried a variety and the TMK is at the top of the heap but hard to get and expensive.
One line of bullets that have performed very well for me are custom made using Berger jackets. 74 and 80 grn. The secret is the composition of their core.

Ive shot dozens of deer with them. Here's an example vid. Shot a couple of evenings ago an hour after shooting light. This is culling. 230 yds (ive posted vids previously using the 77TMK).

Standard 1:8 twist Tikka. Extended Waters mag. Suppressor.

Grundy53

WKR
Been rolling this over in my mind too. If you hunt in grizz territory, wonder how this 77tmk holds up. Im all in at reasonable distances on deer/elk/antelope/bears. The scenario in my mind is what about the unwanted grizz surprise at closer range? If youre charged (assuming you have time to fire anything) do you want 77gr between you and a rough day? Kinda brings back the 9mm vs 10mm handgun for bears debate, but I can also see the idea that if you are gonna stop a bear in a charge you better hit CNS. Opinions on how a TMK might do with a bear skull? Again, I know Im assuming a lot and that planets would have to align in order for me to appropriately deploy the system and hit a charging bear head/spine, but if I am gonna do it I want it to work.
If you had a 30 round magazine. It would be 2,310 grains between you and the grizz.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Finally have my own .223 on its way.

1) anyone shooting 5.56 through a Howa Mini in 223?

2) I've got a few boxes of AAC TMKs squirreled away for hunting, any thoughts on which of the recommended practice ammo (77 OTMs, Hornady Frontier 75s, 73 ELDMs etc) is the best analogue for training?

Last edited:

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider

2) I've got a few boxes of AAC TMKs squirreled away for hunting, any thoughts on which of the recommended practice ammo (77 OTMs, Hornady Frontier 75s, 73 ELDMs etc) is the best analogue for training?
Any of those three are good buy what’s most available.

Old Dog

FNG

I've been shooting IMI 77gr Razor Core which is a SMK projectile. Usually can find it for around $1.00 a round.

Wapiti151

WKR
Hornady 73 gr ELD-M factory ammo back in stock if anyone is looking. Just got notification from Midway and also back in stock at the below. De Leon is GTG, great people and some of the best prices I find online. Takes them a while to ship, but worth it at the price if you don't need it rushed. I've successfully ordered from them multiple time and their customer service is great.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider

Yes, I've been shooting factory 5.56 loads in my Howa, no problem.

Those perform pretty poorly on game. I’ve shot a ton of groundhogs with them, some coyotes, and hogs and one small deer and they usually don’t expand or fragment at all, usually they just pencil through. I lost the deer and several yotes. Groundhogs usually required multiple shots too. I’d say maybe 20% of the groundhogs shot with them they fragmented.

I’ll still use them for groundhogs and pests in a pinch but I still prefer them to not suffer and no way would I use them on the animals that people in this thread are shooting with TMK’s.
I shot 130 deer doing depredation with the 69gr match king and the furthest one went about 50 yards.

JJ3

FNG
Here is some velocity data I gathered the other day with the AAC Sabre Black Tip 75gr.

10.5“ suppressed AR. I plan to hunt with this gun as an alternative to my Howa mini depending on terrain, expected range, etc. Figured I‘d run TMKs with the bolt gun, and try the Sabre stuff with the AR.

One shot didn’t register because I shot too quickly. Pretty decent ES and SD for such cheap ammo. Also seems pretty accurate with a red dot at 36 yards.

If this projectile is in any way similar to the 77TMK regarding velocity threshold, this is a 250 yard gun with Sabre ammo. TMK at same MV would be a 300 yard gun.

I also plan to chrono BH 77 TMK vs AAC 77 TMK vs Federal LE 77 TMK at some point.

I personally took a 180lb mature buck is GA hill country with a suppressed 10.5 using 73eld over a2520. 40yd… It died fast.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Any opinions on a 308 projectile with an effective range to 600 on elk? Thanks
Appreciate the question and I’m certain there is an answer.

Would you mind starting an independent thread with this question?

I‘m certainly interested in the answer and have ideas, but no first hand experience. Yet…

Thinking about killing everything with a .308.

Simplicity.

Last edited: