.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

For you guys that are buying the Tikka T3 in .223 are you doing anything to them after you get them? Stuff like trigger work, etc. Or you just mounting a scope, sighting in, patting yourself on the back? Please. Thanks.

this:

For you guys that are buying the Tikka T3 in .223 are you doing anything to them after you get them? Stuff like trigger work, etc. Or you just mounting a scope, sighting in, patting yourself on the back? Please. Thanks.

Degrease and torque with thread locker
Lighten trigger
Aggressively free float barrel channel
Add vertical grip
Cut and thread barrel

Optional (depending on personal fit):
LOP spacer
Comb riser
Pic rail (epoxied on)

How did you choose 18”? I’m curious because I asked for 16” but always wonder if the gunsmith will prefer longer due to threading/ barrel width.

16" is bare legal, so with 18" I still get a tiny gun but with plenty of barrel to cut in future if desired, plus 60 fps or so additional velocity. That gets me just a bit more shooting range for 1800 fps at impact. 16" would likely be just fine for anything I would ever use the rifle for. I almost did 17". :)

16" is bare legal, so with 18" I still get a tiny gun but with plenty of barrel to cut in future if desired, plus 60 fps or so additional velocity. That gets me just a bit more shooting range for 1800 fps at impact. 16" would likely be just fine for anything I would ever use the rifle for. I almost did 17". :)
Thanks. I might do something in between - like 16.55 - just to be different. I expect that will be fine for GA and SC whitetail needs, at least for me. And if I ever need something with more speed and distance, I of course need a 6.5 or 6 CM. :cool:

I bought a Tikka 20” Compact about a month ago. I did the usual, degreasd, opened the barrel channel, lightened the trigger, added a Titan cheek rest, installed EGW rail, Burris rings and Burris scope.

Not planning on threading but may keep the compact stock. After shooting it for a month I’ve got used to it and may work out good when cold weather gets here and wearing extra clothes.

Back