.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Where are people getting loaded ammo from? Anything in AK? I’ll be headed to L48 in a couple weeks so I can ship to where I’m going and fly home with it too if anywhere has it ready to ship.

Headed out west wolf hunting in April on snow machine. Talked to my hunting buddy last night and he already saw bear tracks while flying this weekend. Don’t want to carry two rifles and plan to bring an AR w/ a 16” 1:8 for our primary target. If I can find some pills, I’ll test this theory on Brown Bears inside 300 yds if the opportunity arises. But I do not load and will be too busy to learn to load my own in the given time, so does anyone have an easy button?
Welp, we gave it a shot. Ordered ammo based off some recommendations here (thanks) and picked it up in L48 few weeks ago. Got all sighted in and went west last Sunday. It was -10F when I landed. Wind blew for two days and air temp hit -13 Tuesday morning. We spent all Tuesday morning digging and thawing out the plane and building a runway to go see if we could locate any bears or wolves. Five hours of flying and not a single bear or bear track spotted. Weather must’ve scared em back in. Fine line of needing it nice enough to get animals out and cold enough to maintain snow. Found a pack of 10 wolves and had plans to chase them, but the next 3 days brought ground blizzards with gusts up to 50 mph. We will give the 77TMK brown bear run another shot next year!

Attachments

• IMG_8260.jpeg
    IMG_8260.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 146

ShaneMo

FNG
Very informative thread (obviously). I started from the beginning and got to page 64 or so before joining Rokslide. .223 bolt gun in my near future. At the moment what ammo would you guys recommend for deer out of 1:9 twist 16” AR. Shout out to all contributors for the education.

ianpadron

WKR
The new Howa Mini is a shooter. The micro action plus factory threaded barrel, coupled with the fact I could put a barreled action into a Stockys stock for the same price as a factory Tikka, made it a pretty easy decision.

First shot to get on paper was about 5 mils low and 1.5 left, made an adjustment...

Resulted in top hole. Quick windage adjustment and shot the far right...felt pretty sure about my adjustment so shot again, still right.

One more tweak, center punch, then 4 more as fast as I could cycle the bolt just because I was having so much fun. First time shooting a suppressed .223....what a trip.

Really appreciate the fellas who have provided insight and advice on this and related threads. I've seen my shooting improve 10 fold in the last year and a half, and am sure the .223 will help keep the skills sharp.

Ammo was AAC 77 grain OTMs in 5.56, can't beat that for $10.99 a box.

Attachments

• 20240408_140725.jpg
    20240408_140725.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20240403_210054.jpg
    20240403_210054.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 88

ShaneMo

FNG
The new Howa Mini is a shooter. The micro action plus factory threaded barrel, coupled with the fact I could put a barreled action into a Stockys stock for the same price as a factory Tikka, made it a pretty easy decision.

First shot to get on paper was about 5 mils low and 1.5 left, made an adjustment...

Resulted in top hole. Quick windage adjustment and shot the far right...felt pretty sure about my adjustment so shot again, still right.

One more tweak, center punch, then 4 more as fast as I could cycle the bolt just because I was having so much fun. First time shooting a suppressed .223....what a trip.

Really appreciate the fellas who have provided insight and advice on this and related threads. I've seen my shooting improve 10 fold in the last year and a half, and am sure the .223 will help keep the skills sharp.

The Howa 1500 is top of my list so far. I can’t seem to find any tmk ammo available other than in a box of 500.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Got a really good deal on this Rem 700 in 223. I've got a Pork Sword folding chassis coming for it and 1000 77TMK's to load for it. It's got a Timney trigger, 2.5-15 Trijicon Credo HX scope, Area 419 scope base, Seekins rings, and a Griffin Armament suppressor. She's a sweet shooter. I've only ran factory ammo through it so far but the Sig MK262 clone ammo printed sub moa groups through ten strings of fire. Should be a solid rifle. I've got Varget and StaBall 6.5 to use with it. Anyone used either of those for loading 223? I've never loaded 223 before. Only 224 cal I've loaded is 22CM.
Rem 223.jpg

kkp005

WKR
Got a really good deal on this Rem 700 in 223. I've got a Pork Sword folding chassis coming for it and 1000 77TMK's to load for it. It's got a Timney trigger, 2.5-15 Trijicon Credo HX scope, Area 419 scope base, Seekins rings, and a Griffin Armament suppressor. She's a sweet shooter. I've only ran factory ammo through it so far but the Sig MK262 clone ammo printed sub moa groups through ten strings of fire. Should be a solid rifle. I've got Varget and StaBall 6.5 to use with it. Anyone used either of those for loading 223? I've never loaded 223 before. Only 224 cal I've loaded is 22CM.
View attachment 698805
I use Varget / 77 tmk’s in a tikka and have excellent accuracy

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 698805

I’ve been loading staball 6.5 behind 75 ELDs it shoots as well as other powders ive used but you’ll probably run out of case capacity before you run into over pressure signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider

This has me really excited for mine. Colorado requires a minimum of 6mm for big game. I ordered a howa mini 6mm ARC in kryptek camo. Should have it in hand by next week. I’m hoping it shoots as good as yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Please reconsider and start at the start.

Your ‘good deal’ isn’t.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
What do you mean by this comment?
Are you saying that a remington 700 isn't worth having?
That’d certainly simplify things.

Bullets matter.

The delivery system matters.

Barrel. Twist. Throat geometry. COAL. Action. Trigger. Stock. Rings. Scope. Etc.

Please read this thread in it‘s entirety from post #1.

A Remington 700 topped with a Leupold in MOA shooting a hammer wasn’t chosen...