.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

I probably missed slight cratering at 25.6gr. At 25gr it doesn't catch my nail but it's hard to tell.

Based on that I'd probably back off to 24.5gr which would put me in the 2650fps range. At my elevation that's 1800fps around 400-425 yards.

L to R
24.3 N140 w/ 75 ELD-M -- 22gr Match 77TMK - 25gr Match 77TMK -- 25.6 gr Match 77 TMK
7GuHBZ9.jpg

TrSCOCN.jpg
What primer?

Wouldn’t that still be too much pressure but just hiding the signs of it? Or the 400s show signs at safe pressures?

Not always. I've got a m77 that pierce a CCI way before you are getting into the "sporty" loads. Stuff something like a Rem 7-1/2 in there and you are good to go

What does everyone like for barrel length? Will be shooting factory ammo. 16,18,20?
I have mine cut at 16.5” and love how handy it is. If it were me I would figure out how far you plan on hunting and determine your barrel length based on the velocity you need to reach that distance. My .223 is for practice and my kids to hunt with so I don’t plan on letting them take shots over 300 yds.

I have mine cut at 16.5” and love how handy it is. If it were me I would figure out how far you plan on hunting and determine your barrel length based on the velocity you need to reach that distance. My .223 is for practice and my kids to hunt with so I don’t plan on letting them take shots over 300 yds.
Should have mentioned, this will be mainly for practice. Will definitely be 300 and in hunting (WT). Will also have a muffler on it. 16 would be so handy. Being as I don't reload, would be losing around 200 fps. Still doable for sub 300 hunting. Pole vaulting over mouse turds!

What velocity/elevation are you starting at? Not too high up around here 8-900 ft.
I’m starting at 2750 with factory Black Hills. But I live at 3300’ and hunt generally between 4500-9500’. If I plug in 800’ in Shooter with 50 degrees and 29 mm hg, it hits 1800 fps at just over 450 yards. That’s outside of my dope though.

Picking up my barrel tomorrow from the smith. Cut to 16.5”
Raptor came out of jail a couple weeks back…
Oh Boy oh boy, should be some fun this weekend.

Picking up my barrel tomorrow from the smith. Cut to 16.5”
Raptor came out of jail a couple weeks back…
Oh Boy oh boy, should be some fun this weekend.
That with a raptor will be a sweet combo. My 223 is 18” and my 6.5 is 16”. I use a raptor 8-stack on both. Don’t know why I waited so long to get a suppressor.

That with a raptor will be a sweet combo. My 223 is 18” and my 6.5 is 16”. I use a raptor 8-stack on both. Don’t know why I waited so long to get a suppressor.
Mine’s an 8 as well, 4” reflex. Went with the 30 cal version, and an extra 5.56 end cap for the 223.

Actually eager to run the 06 with it as well. We’ll see how much recoil reduction it gives.

I have an a 223 remington 700 from 2012-ish. It doesn't give the twist rate. What do you think it would be? 1:10? What bullet would you recommend for bear and deer? I want my son to use the gun when he starts out.

I have an a 223 remington 700 from 2012-ish. It doesn't give the twist rate. What do you think it would be? 1:10? What bullet would you recommend for bear and deer? I want my son to use the gun when he starts out.
I have a similar era 700 and it's a 1:12 twist. It likes 40gr vmax but not 53 gr vmax.
Haven't tried anything else as it's used for varmints. The 40's usually don't exit so there's less damage if going after fur.

Back