243 - 1:8 twist bullet recommendation

satchamo

WKR
So I just got a tikka roughtech 243 and was fortunate to get one with a 1:8 twist. I’ve been shooting precision hunter through it and it’s holding right at MOA so no huge complaints but I’m just seeing what I can get out of it….

I’m not looking to reload at the moment so I’m looking at coppercreeks offerings and considering trying some 100-110 grain bullets to try and take advantage of the faster twist. This is going to be my antelope gun next month but also my long range play gun so keep that in mind….

I’m thinking of grabbing a box of the Berger vld hunting 105s and some 103 eldx. I’ve shot plenty of eldx in the past but never any bergers or nosler. Are there any other bullets I should consider trying that would be a good offering for both long range/antelope?

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good info in the thread linked below. I’ve been following that thread closely as I also hope to buy or build a fast twist 6mm Tikka in the near future.

In addition to those you mentioned, the 108 ELDM and 115 DTAC also get high praise and should shoot well in the 1:8 twist.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
There is also some additional info on 6mm projectiles for long range hunting in this thread as well, though the velocity of the 6UM is significantly more than the 243.

Copper creek ammo is dogshit, just do a google search and read complaints to your hearts content. I have direct experience with their 243 105gr Berger ammo just blowing primers out of most of the cases and terrible accuracy.

Berger and Federal both have loads featuring Berger 95gr Hybrid bullets although not the 105+ to my knowledge and they're excellent. If you want to shoot 105's you're going to need to reload for best results or rebarrel to 6mm Creedmoor to shoot factory 105gr+ ammo. Tikka and some other companies may be offering 8 twist 243's but I doubt the ammunition market is going to be swayed towards heavier offerings because of the amount of 10 twist "standard" 243 twist rate rifles out there, not the mention the complaints ammo makers will get from people who don't know any better and have poor results with heavies out of those slow twists. It would just create a nightmare and I don't see it happening.

My experience with Federal match ammo has on average been better than Berger and I've shot thousands of rounds of both through various calibers. I've found it to me slightly more accurate and more consistent lot to lot. That's not to say the Berger ammo is bad, it's still really good. Berger ammo gets you Lapua brass but that's meaningless if you don't reload and federal is good brass too just a little softer.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Copper creek ammo is dogshit, just do a google search and read complaints to your hearts content. I have direct experience with their 243 105gr Berger ammo just blowing primers out of most of the cases and terrible accuracy.

Berger and Federal both have loads featuring Berger 95gr Hybrid bullets although not the 105+ to my knowledge and they're excellent. If you want to shoot 105's you're going to need to reload for best results or rebarrel to 6mm Creedmoor to shoot factory 105gr+ ammo. Tikka and some other companies may be offering 8 twist 243's but I doubt the ammunition market is going to be swayed towards heavier offerings because of the amount of 10 twist "standard" 243 twist rate rifles out there, not the mention the complaints ammo makers will get from people who don't know any better and have poor results with heavies out of those slow twists. It would just create a nightmare and I don't see it happening.

My experience with Federal match ammo has on average been better than Berger and I've shot thousands of rounds of both through various calibers. I've found it to me slightly more accurate and more consistent lot to lot. That's not to say the Berger ammo is bad, it's still really good. Berger ammo gets you Lapua brass but that's meaningless if you don't reload and federal is good brass too just a little softer.

Good info - I actually ordered from unknown munitions instead so we’ll see.

I also picked up some copper creek and a box of HSM with 95 bergers second hand here so we’ll also see haha

On another note - you mention federal match but federal doesn’t make a match load for the 243 unless I’m missing something?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Calling copper creek dog shit is a bit rough. Although I dont know if I would put him on my reccomend list.

I have 1000 rounds of 223 69 gr Sierra match kings that shoot great at normal speed. that I am halfway through.

I also have 200 rounds that I am finishing up of 6.5 prc that shot great accuracy. Albeit slow. Like creed slow. I would have perfered 29xx instead of 27xx. EDIT UPDATE: His ammo is fine. Hornady ammo was 200fps slow too. I guess its a slow short barrel.

I would say try a box and if it shoots well and chronos well then buy more.

Last edited:
Good info - I actually ordered from unknown munitions instead so we’ll see.

I also picked up some copper creek and a box of HSM with 95 bergers second hand here so we’ll also see haha

On another note - you mention federal match but federal doesn’t make a match load for the 243 unless I’m missing something?

Federal premium is loaded to the same tolerances as gold medal match and the hybrid hunters are a Berger match bullet essentially redesigned inside for terminal performance. So for all intents and purposes, it’s match grade ammo.

BjornF16

WKR
Calling copper creek dog shit is a bit rough. Although I dont know if I would put him on my reccomend list.

I used Copper Creek 140 ELD-M in my 6.5 CM as it was the most accurate in my gun compared to Hornady and Federal. I didn't have any issues shooting in hot weather. YMMV

I'll second the Federal or Berger loaded with 95gn Hybrid. I don't use them anymore but the 95gn Ballistic Tip worked well for me also

I don't have a 1:8 yet but did buy some Hornady factory 90gr eld-x which I had not previously noticed. I also inquired with Hornady whether they would start loading heavier options with faster twists available now. Their response was that they do not currently plan to but they would pass along my feedback.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I don't have a 1:8 yet but did buy some Hornady factory 90gr eld-x which I had not previously noticed. I also inquired with Hornady whether they would start loading heavier options with faster twists available now. Their response was that they do not currently plan to but they would pass along my feedback.

The 90 gr eldx shot so so. Def not impressed with it. I saw better groups with 95 gr SSTs. And I saw even better groups with 100 grain cheap ass federal soft pio it’s so riddle me that….

I did get out and shoot the 105 hybrid bergers from copper creek today and that will be my bullet (except now they’re out of stock). Very impressed. This is 6 shots below. All for the one, they were touching.

c08ea1235628b8b89092f67238369602.jpg

eric1115

WKR
Anyone measured the throat on one of these new Tikka 1-8" barrels? Can you seat a 108 eldm at the bottom of the case neck?
Not quite. I measured mine before sending it off for AI rechamber, and was about .050 shorter than boattail at neck shoulder junction, right at the lands. .070 if you wanted a .020 jump.