"Explosive" 6mm Bullet?

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have a a 26" Barreled 6mm BR that is my varmint rifle/daily driver that shoots Berger 105s and 107 SMKs in to tiny little groups way out there. The Bergers are right at 2900 and the 107s are right at 2880. I shot a coyote this fall in montana at 754 yards with the 105s and it zipped right through him, granted at that distance I realize that the bullet was getting below the velocity of them reliably expanding ( about 1750 if my memory serves me right) and it has me wondering if there is a bullet that is a bit softer and better suited for that type of shot. At that velocity i know it may be a crap shoot but i thought it was worth asking. The gun doesn't like 103 eld-xs and I can't seem to find 108s to try them. Any other suggestions/ first hand experiences?

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I think they only make a 90gr though for 6mm, I'll have to look in to them again.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Look for something poly tipped. 108s should come back in stock soon I would think. I have had decent luck at 700 yards on whitetails with 105 hornady bthp, but launch speed was around 3150fps. I have not shot a coyote much passed 300 yards with them, but they worked good at that distance.

B23

WKR
I shoot 75gr Vmax in my 6-284 and they make a big ass mess on coyotes but my 6-284 only has a 12tw barrel if I had something with a faster twist like the OP does and I wanted something that opened up well, even at lower velocities, I'd try the 87gr Vmax.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is they make a 80gr 6mm bullet with the shape of a 105gr and the BC to match. So you get the BC of a heavy bullet and the higher velocity of an 80gr. Win-win
I am anxiously awaiting them to become available. Their BC is still a good bit lower than a 105 class but much higher than the rest of the varmint style bullets. I want to say I saw somewhere in the realm of .425 G1, I can't remember the G7, somewhere around .2.

I called and talked to Hornady to see about availability and load data for the 6GT. They don't have any and they said midway is the best place to get them. The first shipment sold out in an hour.

Lawnboi

WKR
That eld vt bullet is going to be a big deal. I’d even say almost a game changer for a varminter. I can’t speak to the 6. But the 22 and 6.5 cal have been impressive as far as speed and accuracy go. Few weeks I’ll pop some prairie dogs hopefully with them.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That eld vt bullet is going to be a big deal. I’d even say almost a game changer for a varminter. I can’t speak to the 6. But the 22 and 6.5 cal have been impressive as far as speed and accuracy go. Few weeks I’ll pop some prairie dogs hopefully with them.

Factory ELD-VT match.

12.5” barrel 6.5cm. MV 2,680fps-
IMG_7548.jpeg

20” barrel Sauer 100 6.5 cm-
IMG_7424.jpeg

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
We are doing a varmint shoot in a little over a week and I was hoping to find some to load up before going, or if i could get ahold of some that creedmoor ammo. I'm sure they'll be everywhere in the not too distant future.

Lawnboi

WKR
We are doing a varmint shoot in a little over a week and I was hoping to find some to load up before going, or if i could get ahold of some that creedmoor ammo. I'm sure they'll be everywhere in the not too distant future.
Loaded ammo, both 6.5 and 6 creed is available at blue collar reloading.

Shooting the 6.5 in a 24” tikka; recoils like a 6 creed, 3150. Stuff should put a serious hurting on pdogs