26 Nosler... which model??

Clark33

WKR
I've narrowed down my search for a 26 Nosler to a few choices. I would like your guy's input on these rifles if you have one or have seen one shoot. Mainly looking for accuracy using the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo.

Models:
1) Nosler M48 Liberty - I like the price for what you appear to get.

2) Cooper Excalibur - a tad more expensive but they guarantee 1/2 moa

3) Fierce Fury - Don't know much about these but they also say 1/2 moa and look to be good quality

4) Christensen Arms Ridgeline - Never seen or shot a carbon wrapped barrel but have heard good things about CA. Also heard that the carbon wrapped barrel does not dissipate heat as well and can lead to shorter barrel life? Not sure if there is any validity to that.

All input is welcome, thanks

I was set on the Christensen without really checking one out. I looked at several and was not impressed. For the money I would look elsewhere. Thats just my opinion. Bought a Browning X bolt Hells Canyon

The CF aids heat dissipation, big time. Lots of keyboard warriors who can't tell CF from polymer will try to say otherwise, but I guess someone has to work at McDonald's. I've seen a few issues with Fierce rifles, but they do build an OK semi custom for the price. I don't feel like it has anything on the Nosler, except maybe the accuracy guarantee. Cooper definitely has better CS. Christensen builds a nice gun, but I wasn't impressed with the accuracy of mine. Have you considered having a gun built?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
Of the ones you listed I'd go with the Fierce or Christensen. I've had quite a few fierce now and the first production run was a little shakey on qc around the stock and inletting and most was purely cosmetic but the current ones are good. All have shot 1/2 moa or better, some in the .3's.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about heat dissipation as I wouldn't shoot strings longer than 2 shots with a 26 Nosler anyway.

WRO

WKR
I've got a couple Smith friends who have both said the nosler is not that great, my only experience with one was enough to take them off the potential purchase list.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kaboku68

WKR
I have a Nosler Patriot 48 in 26 Nosler and it is a very accurate rifle right out of the box. I also have a Fierce Edge in 28 Nosler. I haven't shot anything with it but I like it a bit better right now. It is extremely accurate with 160 grain accubond. I also have a cooper model 52 in 30/06. It is an extremely accurate rifle (165 grain sst or 185 VLD) but it has a very tight lock up. You have to throw that bolt. This could be a concern if a bad bad trip. I have looked at the Christensen's and I think that they are presently worlds better than what they were but I have heard that carbon wrapped barrels can chip on shale. That kind of spooks me. I guess I would suggest go with the Nosler if you have a tighter budget but its a bit heavy all up with a good scope.(IMHO worth it though). My fierce has a Z5 sheephunter on it and its light for a long distance rifle. I don't think that you are going to lose with any of those. I would also look at the LAW as they have their stuff in order with a decent rifle that balances really well. I have one in 300 Win Mag that is accurate and its not super heavy. Good luck and tell us which way you went.

OP
Clark33

Clark33

WKR
I've narrowed it down to either the Fierce Edge or a Cooper 52 Excalibur. My local Cooper dealer said it would be $2,320ish and the Fierce is around $2,500 at big box outdoors store where I live. This is a tough decision here boys

Crapshoot

WKR
I would find a 10% off like sportsmen where house has right now and go with the Fierce. This should bring the price down to the same price as the Cooper. I say this because I have 2 Fierce rifles and 3 Coopers. The Coopers like the Fierce are both great shooters, but the Magazines on the Coopers are the worst in the business. Confirm this for yourself if your local dealer has the Cooper in stock for you to try out. Their fit in the well is very week and I have lost mag's while hunting.

Also note, a Cooper in all Stainless Steel ( Action and Barrel ) cost $2699. The fierce will also come with a muzzle Break that's removable.

Last edited:
OP
Clark33

Clark33

WKR
I would find a 10% off like sportsmen where house has right now and go with the Fierce. This should bring the price down to the same price as the Cooper. I say this because I have 2 Fierce rifles and 3 Coopers. The Coopers like the Fierce are both great shooters, but the Magazines on the Coopers are the worst in the business. Confirm this for yourself if your local dealer has the Cooper in stock for you to try out. Their fit in the well is very week and I have lost mag's while hunting.

Also note, a Cooper in all Stainless Steel ( Action and Barrel ) cost $2699. The fierce will also come with a muzzle Break that's removable.

I think you may have convinced me

WRO

WKR
MOA Evolution 26 Nosler Rifle For sale! - EuroOptic.com

Its a no brainer, way more gun for the money than the fierce and cooper. If you buy it, call their shop and they'll get you complete load data etc. By the time you put a 20MOA base on the fierce, you'll be darned close to equal money.

I went down this path a while back, looked at all the same rifles, and ended up with the MOA. There isn't one person who doesn't smile when they squeeze the trigger on mine.

OP
Clark33

Clark33

WKR
I'm not entirely sure how the 20MOA bases work or what that entails. I understand that the front base is slightly lower than the rear but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

EDIT: Just watched a very informative video and I have seen the light on 20MOA bases

Last edited:

ontarget7

WKR
That Browning X Bolt Long Range Hunter in 26 nosler is quite the bang for the buck. Extremely accurate out of the box

It is one sweet shooting round and man is it a flat shooter out to 400 yards even

WRO

WKR
I'm not entirely sure how the 20MOA bases work or what that entails. I understand that the front base is slightly lower than the rear but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

EDIT: Just watched a very informative video and I have seen the light on 20MOA bases

The 20 moa base rail will open up a bunch of option to use the best rings out there such as the Hawkins precisions, night force, and other lr rings.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
Clark33

Clark33

WKR
The MOA Evolution is on its way! Thanks for the input all and WRO for showing me that awesome deal!

Dang that was a quick purchase. Hope it's a sweet rifle. I would have liked to read some more feedback on the MOA's.

WRO

WKR
Dang that was a quick purchase. Hope it's a sweet rifle. I would have liked to read some more feedback on the MOA's.
They shoot sub 1/2" guaranteed, most are .2 to .3 rifles. Awesome customer service, not cheap, but awesome shooters.

Tex68w

WKR
Great purchase WRO.

Bang for your buck at $1000 street price I would have taken a long hard look at the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 26 Nosler. Light at 6 lbs 5 oz, fluted barrel with a target crown. Adjustable trigger that's reported to be one of the best ever on a production rifle, ATACS camo on a Duratouch stock. It has a 60 degree bolt throw, easy to use tang safety, and all metal is cerakoted so it would be a great foul weather rifle.

WRO

WKR
Great purchase WRO.

Bang for your buck at $1000 street price I would have taken a long hard look at the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 26 Nosler. Light at 6 lbs 5 oz, fluted barrel with a target crown. Adjustable trigger that's reported to be one of the best ever on a production rifle, ATACS camo on a Duratouch stock. It has a 60 degree bolt throw, easy to use tang safety, and all metal is cerakoted so it would be a great foul weather rifle.
Browning don't get the love others do, but the ones I've been around shoot like awesome and don't feel like a red rider in your hands (tikka).