Custom Rifle Journey/Review *Pic Heavy*

@huntnfool, really enjoyed that write up as I too am contemplating my first custom build, and I have a question for you: Are carbon stocks worth the cost?

Price is a concern for me, I'm focused on building a 280ai on either a Tikka T3x Lite or Savage 110 Lightweight Storm platform, 7mm-08 action and steel blank rebarrel cut to 18" (because according to my smith, the stock 1-9.5 twist won't stabilize 160/162gr factory ammo). For my express purpose of backpack hunting with a suppressor, I just wondered what you think about the value added with a carbon stock?

Carbon itself isn't worth it or not worth it. The question is does the stock weigh and function like you want. There are good stocks of lots of different materials. Lot of carbon stocks out there that suck functionally. Being made of carbon doesn't change that.

CBar

FNG
That's fair, I'll probably stick with the OEM Tikka stock, it's served me well on a 300winmag and my .243 for a long time, and put that $$$ towards better optics.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
That's fair, I'll probably stick with the OEM Tikka stock, it's served me well on a 300winmag and my .243 for a long time, and put that $$$ towards better optics.
A reliable scope and reliable rings should absolutely come before a stock upgrade IMO.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Switched the gun over to a thinner profile #5 contour barrel. 23” finish length. Still in 7-300 NMI. Scoped weight in this configuration is 9.7lbs.

Shot pretty good out at distance in this configuration.
IMG_2131.jpeg
Killed a pig with it also.
IMG_2168.jpeg

Probably switch it over to a slightly heavier barrel and 24” finish length before season at some point. Help with recoil a little bit more. But as you can see in the video, it doesn’t kick too too much.

Try and 18” because you know we are all wondering what kind of horsepower a stubby barrel would have! Chop down your first barrel you’re using for fireforming.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I can barely afford to even look at this thread holy rip.
Hahaha understandable 😅. But this is where like 75% of my extra income goes. I have a 15 year old car and 15 year old truck, and only a mortgage for a bill. I don’t have big expensive toys. Just rifles and scopes 🤣🤣.

Hell, for one brand new truck these days, you can get 10 customs rifles and scopes for all of them hahaha.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I would agree with @huntnful on the optic and rings being primary concern, and that you'll be fine with a factory stock in the mean time. I put vertical grips on my Tikka stocks and they shoot great. But if you get to a point where upgrading is an option for a hunting rifle, there is something warm and fuzzy about a well designed carbon stock.

Reactions: NSI
He Does a great job of explaining both sides of the argument. I’ve had both carbon and steel barrels and most of the time it comes down to what I can find in stock. But if I had to put my paycheck on a rifle that’s going to shoot I would bank on a steel barrel 10/10 times.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
One of the rifles for the 2024 season is done. 7-300 Norma Mag Improved. Decided to go with a 26” Brux 1-9 twist #6 contour. As the gun sits, without bipod, it’s 10.93lbs. It’ll eventually going into a stock that’s 10oz lighter putting it in the low 10’s. Should be just right as far as weight and recoil management. Build done by High Voltage Armory
IMG_2477.jpeg

Harvey_NW

WKR
One of the rifles for the 2024 season is done. 7-300 Norma Mag Improved. Decided to go with a 26” Brux 1-9 twist #6 contour. As the gun sits, without bipod, it’s 10.93lbs. It’ll eventually going into a stock that’s 10oz lighter putting it in the low 10’s. Should be just right as far as weight and recoil management. Build done by High Voltage Armory
Thing looks sick. So High Voltage Armory is your super secret gunsmith?