3 day a week workout plan!!

cocky84

WKR
So i changed my diet and started running a couple months ago. Ended up getting a stress fracture in right leg. I ended up getting membership to community center so i can use the eliptical until i heal up and can hit the road again.

Since im paying for membership and am there already i might as well lift a little.
Anyone have a good workout routine they would want to share. I got 3 days a week. They have alot of machines, which i prefer since i go alone and dont have a spotter.

I do the p90x chest and back on day 1, the arms and shoulders on day 3, and then the legs/back on day 5. I also do the abs workout each of those days. If something is hurting or sore or just depending how I feel I throw in some runs or pack hikes or a Pilates session.

WoodBow

WKR
Just do one big lift a day for 5 sets of 5. By big lift i mean large compound movement. Back squat, front squat, dead lift, pullups, dips, bench, over head press. Set a goal for your last set and add 10 lbs each set to get there. As an example, of my last set goal was 225x5, i would do 185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 215x5, 225x5. I want my last set to be max effort.

No one wants to hear just do one big lift a day. Everyone wants some complicated regiment filled with frat boy curls. But it just plain works. I have lifted for 8 or 9 years and i have tried just about everything. I now spend less time than ever lifting and am stronger than i have ever been. Proof is in the pudding.

Poser

WKR
Bench press is the only barbell movement that requires a spotter. Like, mentioned above, stick to the basics:

Deadlift, backsquat, standing overhead press (barbell), pullups/chinups. Bench press if you can find a spotter.
Low rep, heavy weight, low volume. 3 sets of 5 should be perfect on all of these with the exception of deadlift which should be even lower volume since it wrecks your CNS and requires much more recovery.

Stay off the machines as they aren't going to do much for you outside the realm of aesthetics. A possible exception would be rehabbing an injury.

Do dumbbell bench instead of barbell. It's better for you anyway because it's activating a bazillion stabilizer muscles when you do it. Plus, you don't need a spotter.

I agree on the machines. Machines suck because you are usually isolating one or two muscles groups and only working them in a single plane. Do compound lifts that work a large number of muscle groups (i.e. back squats, deadlifts, straight legged deadlifts, dumbbell bench, etc.).

If you want a good cardio workout, pick four alternating lifts. Example, dumbbell bench, pull ups, overhead dumbbell press, back squats. Do 5 sets of 5, heavy. Start out light for a couple of weeks, but after a month you should be heavy enough you can't get your last set of 5. If you can move up in weight. Do all four lifts with no rest, then take a 30 second break. Repeat. After your 5th set, take a 60 second break. Do some kettlebell swings on a 20 second on/10 second rest cycle for 10 cycles.

Really focus on posterior chain lifts. Your biceps will get enough of a workout from pull ups, bent rows, etc.