Need help with a routine

I could use help developing a workout routine. I'm pretty good at sticking to a plan but I find myself not knowing what to do and then I just do something half assed.

What I have:
30 min a day for sure
A Bowflex Max Trainer
Row Machine
Treadmill
Bench
Bowflex adjustable dumbbells
Mountain bike and trails from my house
Mountain in my backyard

What I want:
General fitness
Maintain general strength

What I don't want:
To lift a set end weight
To "bulk up"

What I am:
47 Years old
Generally thin, 6' 1", hover around 180-190
Packing fat around mid section that I want to reduce

Can anyone help me come up with a weekly routine? PM me if you are willing to work with me.

TSAMP

WKR
Well shoot. That was to be my only real contribution. That's helped me make sure I'm meeting goals. That was the main thing I liked about crossfit, someone else choose the workout of the day.
Now I just do what I feel like, I was throwing a dummy for my dog doing water retrieves tonight and seeing how many push-ups I could do before he got back.

I'm sure that was a sight to see.

Not sure what your fitness level is today but I’d start with real simple stuff. Ie walking/hiking out your back door for 30 mins every day. You’d be surprised at the weight you can lose by just walking. And I’d stick to the big 3 or 4 main lifts. Squats, deadlifts, bench, push press. Maybe try walking M,W,F and then a 5x5 lift routine on Tuesday and Thursday?

If weight loss and general fitness is your primary goal, I would recommend taking a hard look at your diet to start.

As they say, abs are made in the kitchen. I think one of the biggest factors to success is making choices that you can stick with. For example, Intermittent fasting 8on/16off is a dietary choice that works for me long term. I have never been able to stick to highly restrictive diets like Keto.

For training, I like variety. It keeps me engaged and limits the likelihood that I will get bored and start dreading my workouts. Starting with some bodyweight calisthenics and variable cardio (perhaps alternating hiking and mountain biking) would be a great start.

If you want any specific advice on diet/exercise routines, feel free to dm me. It’s hard to give solid advice without knowing one’s current baseline and past experience with diet/exercise. Again, I think the most important component is figuring out a plan that you can stick to. Consistency is key.

Last edited:

mtmojo

FNG
Since my heart attack it's 20 minutes on a treadmill, then stepper then bike. At least 3 times a week minimum. Had a tag that took 18 years to draw and had my heart attack out in the woods with a bull coming in. Sad way to waste a tag of a lifetime.

I try to always hit 10,000 steps a day. That’s a real quick judge whether I’m being lazy because that’s a solid average for me.

Check out CrossFit website that shows WOD (workout of the day). Find some of those you like that don’t require extra equipment. Then you always have some go to workouts.

One example is the Murph workout. Run then do pull-ups push-ups and then air squats followed by another run. If ya got 10 mins or 30 mins, adjust how ya see fit.

Another helpful tip is to record times for whatever workout you do and then try to beat it or look back one year from now to see where ya are.

I go in spirts throughout the year. I’ll run for a few months. Then bike. Then weights and mix in CrossFit. I really never get burned out on same workouts because there is always something that breaks my routine (trip / hunt / weather) and then I start up something new for the next few months.

You have enough stuff to do lots of good workouts. Just need to start recording what ya do that ya like - then build off that. But record the ones that ya love so ya can go back to em

I’ve heard good things about Mtn Tough and received a free subscription but I’ve failed to use. But I’ve been tempted to check it out. Maybe check that out (I’ve seen threads on that). And I’ve seen people post daily workouts (WOD) on rokslide.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk