300 win mag options

TaperPin

WKR
MUCH LESS wounded animals than the same guy that can't shoot well that gets handed a lightweight magnum rifle.

Why do people think increased recoil increases killing efficacy? All things being equal, every hunter will shoot a lighter recoiling rifle better. Shot placement over caliber.
When I’ve brought up how hunters don’t think about, or even have a memory of recoil when shooting at game, the small gun crowd usually says, “Yeah, but. . . “ and goes to the argument that if a scope moves you can’t see where the bullet hits. Don’t forget that one. That whole philosophy that you have to see the bullet hit doesn’t sound very confident in the original shot.

Out of your listed price range but:
Proof Research Elevation in 300 win mag
Seekins Havak Element.
These are great rifles. You only live once, buy a nice gun. Hunt it and after if you don’t like it, sell it. Quality guns hold value.

When I’ve brought up how hunters don’t think about, or even have a memory of recoil when shooting at game, the small gun crowd usually says, “Yeah, but. . . “ and goes to the argument that if a scope moves you can’t see where the bullet hits. Don’t forget that one. That whole philosophy that you have to see the bullet hit doesn’t sound very confident in the original shot.

Grasping at straws here.

At long range in unpredictable field conditions at steep angles with varying wind and atmospherics, your dope chart is a good guess at best. Spotting your shots lets you correct for the unknown.

Nobody with two brain cells will argue that anyone shoots higher recoiling rifles better than lower recoiling rifles categorically.

Why would anyone NOT want to see their impacts (long range application here)? Just buy a 50 BMG, close your eyes and send it I guess! At least you'll have margin

eric1115

WKR
Ok. Awesome. You're obviously correct because you have statistics. I'm 55 years old and have shot the same 338 since I was 22. I truly don't notice it.
If someone slipped a .338 dummy round somewhere between round #10 and round #15 on your range session and we had video of that trigger press, what would we see?

eric1115

WKR
Or some of us can spot shots with something bigger than a .223.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I mean, I spot my shots with my 7mm RM (braked or suppressed).

Being able to manage recoil is a skill (important one). Claiming to not notice it, or that it has no effect, or insulting those who take it into account, is just foolish.

For the record I grew up on 12 gauge slugs. I've put many many pounds of lead downrange one ounce at a time. Spicy .45-70 in light lever guns, unbraked magnums, etc. I'm not recoil shy.

It's silly though to claim that it doesn't matter on hit rates, follow up shots, etc. and for the vast majority (myself included) something like a .300WM has more drawbacks than advantages. I'm (at best) at the very top end of where I think the advantage outweighs the drawbacks, and I think there is a good chance I'm already above it with 180's going 2850.

I think for most people a 6.5 PRC is a better balance, and a 6 or 6.5 CM better still. Especially if you don't want a suppressor. I've come to hate braked rifles, especially for hunting.

OP
P

Pulleye16

FNG
Seekins looks like a great gun (just googled it) but yeah…that’s about 3x what I’d like to spend.

My buddy has an x bolt so I may try and see if I can hit the range with him (he lives in another state). Otherwise, I’ll try to find the tikka with a threaded barrel as I didn’t think that existed…and still are having a tough time finding one.

I like tikkas and the reviews are some the best around. Again, I just didn’t know they had a threaded barre option.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka T3X Veil Widelands in .308, and I am very happy with it. I would not hesitate to buy one in 300 Win Mag. It comes with a threaded barrel and is ceracoated. The only mod I made was to add a couple of spacers to increase the LOP, as I am tall.

Link

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Seekins looks like a great gun (just googled it) but yeah…that’s about 3x what I’d like to spend.

My buddy has an x bolt so I may try and see if I can hit the range with him (he lives in another state). Otherwise, I’ll try to find the tikka with a threaded barrel as I didn’t think that existed…and still are having a tough time finding one.

I like tikkas and the reviews are some the best around. Again, I just didn’t know they had a threaded barre option.
Just as an FYI, EuroOptic seems to be having a sale. The Sako (parent of Tikka) S20 is on sale for $999 for the Hunter or Precision stock model in 300Win. The X-Bolt is another fine choice. If you're ready to buy now, I'd check out some online sales and ship to your FFL or start going to shops with used racks. The end of the year generally means inventory purge for tax purposes so deals are to be had.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Personally prefer the 338 win mag doesnt kick much at all to me a whole lot less than my 06 personally I would hit the pawn shops and gun shops for a used rifle.

gabenzeke

WKR
Women and children worry about recoil.
I shoot a .338. Never once in my life have I ever felt recoil.
I shoot a 300 rum currently and never once has it crossed my mind that the caliber and/or recoil somehow correlated to how manly I am. Here I've been working hard, being a good husband and father, and all sorts of other things people would point to as a sign of manliness when I could have just bought a bigger gun.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
If you can, look into a can. ;). Seriously, you might have time to buy a suppressor by next season if your state allows them. The difference in noise is pretty dramatic, and it helps with kick as well.

Go shoot a 300 mag of some sort if you haven't. There are other options besides 300 mags although that's what I usually carry.

Jtd0314

FNG
I have the Benelli Lupo in 300 WM and I am very impressed with it. Fairly light and handles quite well. The recoil is like a 30-06 and shoots factory ammo well under moa.

Maybe a 300 WSM instead? Make a Limbsaver pad replacement. Slightly less recoil in a light package that doesn't give up much performance. And it's threaded.

Only reason I mentioned it, thinking of the same idea for a general purpose MT rifle.

eric1115

WKR
Hey all-

Excited to join a good group of hunters. I’m a mid west guy looking for a 300 win mag for some elk hunts out west.

I LOVE tikka t3’s but I’ve also heard it’s not fun to shoot in the 300 win mag.

In all seriousness, I’m not looking to break the bank here as I’ll Probably only get a half dozen ek hunts in…bamn lottos! Lol

I have a really nice scope already, so looking to drop “around” a grand on the rifle.

Looking for the obvious:
Light weight
Accurate to 500-600 yards
Threaded barrel as I WANT a muzzle brake

In your opinion, what’s a good 300 min mag that I could put or Gomes with a muzzle brake?

Thanks!

Have you shot braked rifles before?

Have you shot a .300WM before?

After shooting and hunting (including elk) with a braked magnum for a few years (always bare muzzle rifles before that), I would 100% recommend a lighter recoiling rifle or a suppressor (or both) before a hunting rifle with brake. Ear pro in the field is a huge hassle that I hate dealing with and you will absolutely do damage to your hearing shooting without it. You'll likely damage your hearing shooting without double ear pro (plugs and muffs).

A suppressor makes my 7mm RM pretty enjoyable to shoot, but the step up to a .300WM may be more than a suppressor will adequately tame for lots of guys (including me. Spotting shots is very important to me and I think I'm at the top end of being able to do that).