300 win mag options

TaperPin

WKR
I definitely recommend against a brake. It’s one thing to shoot them at the range, but one shot without earplugs, even hunting, and it usually goes from an asset to a liability. I took a shot without a brake while hunting with a 300 and that was the last time. I have a few barrels threaded for brakes, and I keep one brake if someone wants to try it out, but not for hunting.

Just this week, a guy we had dinner with had an easy shot at an elk, but forgot his earplugs and knew it was going to hurt when the trigger was pulled and he jerked the shot and completely missed.

jwshunts

FNG
Hey all-

Excited to join a good group of hunters. I’m a mid west guy looking for a 300 win mag for some elk hunts out west.

I LOVE tikka t3’s but I’ve also heard it’s not fun to shoot in the 300 win mag.

In all seriousness, I’m not looking to break the bank here as I’ll Probably only get a half dozen ek hunts in…bamn lottos! Lol

I have a really nice scope already, so looking to drop “around” a grand on the rifle.

Looking for the obvious:
Light weight
Accurate to 500-600 yards
Threaded barrel as I WANT a muzzle brake

In your opinion, what’s a good 300 min mag that I could put or Gomes with a muzzle brake?

Thanks!
I shoot a Browning X-bolt Max Long Range with a Z5 Swarovski scope. I am confident out to 700 yards with it. My wife and kids (16 and 14 years old) shoot it and they never complain about recoil. The recoil hawg muzzle brake and the weight of the gun I think is what makes the difference!

WillS24

FNG
$1000 ish. It’s not like this is a yearly hunt so realistically, every 2-3 years maybe and I’m already over 40 so…

I have a 30-06 and 6.5 but honestly, I’d feel better with a 300. I practice and practice and practice out to 700 yards but as an upper Midwesterner, who typically tags out at less then 100 yards, I’d be lying if 500+ comes east for me.

I hunt respectfully for the animal and won’t take an unethical shot. For someone who doesn’t make these shots on a regular basis, and for the animals sake, a 300 would be a better choice.

Just thought I’d hit up people that hunt out west and get their opinions…
I’d go for a browning x bolt. If you’re fine with buying used I’d look at the older A bolts. Older a bolt won’t be threaded for a suppressor though

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka in 300 win mag. Idk imma big dude but I honestly don’t find it bad at all. I never shoot it and think it hurt or even inconvient. Just another rifle. No more than any other bigger cartridge. That being said, even if it was unpleasant. I’d MUCH rather go through a little thump to my shoulder once or twice for a couple seconds. Then carry around a five pound heavier rifle ALL DAY for multiple days. That’s just my cents though.

6.5 Creedmoor will kill elk all day long out to 700 yds with factory ammo that's more available, cheaper, consistent and easier to shoot accurately.
I have no doubt about that.

But how many hunters can reliably ( 90-95%) make first shot kills on an elk at 700 yards under hunting conditions? Or 600?

BTW: I agree with your 223/77TMK suggestion.

I have no doubt about that.

But how many hunters can reliably ( 90-95%) make first shot kills on an elk at 700 yards under hunting conditions? Or 600?

BTW: I agree with your 223/77TMK suggestion.
Not many, including maybe myself. For the sake of argument let's say 45% with a 6.5CM. With a similar weight 300WM I bet that number would go down to about 30%.

jimh406

WKR
Not many, including maybe myself. For the sake of argument let's say 45% with a 6.5CM. With a similar weight 300WM I bet that number would go down to about 30%.
That's not much of an accomplishment to have 55% miss instead of 70% miss. Seems like a better goal is not take the shot instead of getting something to miss with less kick/noise.

That's not much of an accomplishment to have 55% miss instead of 70% miss. Seems like a better goal is not take the shot instead of getting something to miss with less kick/noise.
I don't disagree with that, and I'm not advocating AVB style pot shots. My whole dust up in this thread was arguing against "margin" and for accurate shot placement with appropriate bullet selection, all else being equal.

So I own lots of rifles and I own a 300 wm and it's a nice rifle with a good stock and it doesn't recoil bad. A decent stock and good form nullifies most recoil and yes I can see bullet impacts. I have also been shooting my whole life and do on average shoot 1000 rounds a year out of at least 15 large caliber rifles. Yes I would rather shoot an elk with a 300 than a 6.5 because it does kill more efficiently. Yes I have killed a large bull elk with a 6.5 cm and it is a humane round when bullet placement is proper. There is nothing wrong with a caliber from 22 caliber all the way to 35 caliber with good shot placement within your capabilities. 300 win mag is a great round and if you buy one shoot it and get comfortable with it and go kill chit simple as that.

There is nothing wrong with a caliber from 22 caliber all the way to 35 caliber with good shot placement within your capabilities.
^^this^^.

How many of us actually know our capabilities (limitations) or will admit to them?

Much more important than the caliber of rifle in our hands.

FWIW, I have found that I shoot much better unbraked than braked with my 300wm. IDK, but the recoil seems much more controlled w/o. I was all over the place with the brake and it recoiled funny, pushing up and right (and yes it was clocked properly). OP, really if you can save up a bit, sell some stock, a kidney, a Seekins will be more than worth it. Mine shoots lights out and it absolutely anchored my CO buck this year. No elk with it yet, but willing to try :). Not that I won't ever try another brand but for the money it's a damn nice rifle and I'd be hard pressed to try something else. That said, my 40 year old Ruger M77 shoots pretty damn well too.
spartan.jpg

Choupique

WKR
Muzzle brakes have always been worse than recoil to me, at least up to .35 caliber stuff.

I'll take the shove over getting my sinuses blasted backwards into my brains. That's some really unpleasant stuff, especially when you get to big .30's and beyond.

TaperPin

WKR
Walking through a few gun stores yesterday, there are a lot of 300 mags on the shelves for Christmas - finding one shouldn’t be a problem. 🙂

Flyjunky

WKR
Grasping at straws here.

At long range in unpredictable field conditions at steep angles with varying wind and atmospherics, your dope chart is a good guess at best. Spotting your shots lets you correct for the unknown.

Nobody with two brain cells will argue that anyone shoots higher recoiling rifles better than lower recoiling rifles categorically.

Why would anyone NOT want to see their impacts (long range application here)? Just buy a 50 BMG, close your eyes and send it I guess! At least you'll have margin
In these long range unpredictable field conditions with varying winds which cartridge is going to give you more margin for error in wind calls? High bc’s make a difference in these conditions, correct?

I don’t know about other people but I can pretty much always spot my shot with my 300wm once I’m past 500 and almost always I have spotter with me. It’s his job to make sure the shot is spotted.

I’m not arguing that I can shoot my 300wm better than my 6.5-284, I can’t. But what I will tell you is that I can shoot my 300wm at MOA to 1000 yards. That 300wm is about to get its 3rd barrel this summer, it gets shot a lot.

So, do I shoot my smaller rifle better, yes, but I have NO problems killing animals with my 300wm either. YMMV.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzle brakes have always been worse than recoil to me, at least up to .35 caliber stuff.

I'll take the shove over getting my sinuses blasted backwards into my brains. That's some really unpleasant stuff, especially when you get to big .30's and beyond.
Shoot, I put a cheap upper together to give 3gun a try. The brake I put on my AR was very effective, but after shooting a stage, my teeth hurt. I always did everyone else a favor at normal ranges and screwed it off. Unless they didn't reciprocate.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk