308: Is It Making a Comeback??

The .308 will never go away. I have hunted with .308 for a few many years now but decided to get a 6.5 CM this year and test it out before the next hunting season. I sifted through all the Hype and just reasearched the 6.5 CM for what it is. It is not some Magical caliber that will do everything better than everything else, not even close. It is still a good caliber to hunt medium sized game in N America but not the best. Somewhere in the middle I think. One thing that did steer me a little bit more to 6.5 CM is I found Norma 140GR SP Whitetail for $19.80 a box which was cheaper than I could find any .308 for hunting. I bought 200 rounds of 6.5 CM. It was not too much cheaper but cheaper. Still have an LR-308 if I need it.
By the way my new rifle is a Bergara B14 Squared Crest. I hope it does well for hunting next season.

I’ve been a long range .308 guy for a long time and bought a 6.5 CM a month ago. Working up some loads for the 6.5 now. Norma is great ammo. Make sure to save the brass and give it to someone that reloads.

I’ve been a long range .308 guy for a long time and bought a 6.5 CM a month ago. Working up some loads for the 6.5 now. Norma is great ammo. Make sure to save the brass and give it to someone that reloads.
I have a Hornady Progressive re-loader. Just have to get some 6.5 CM dies and start studying. I bought the re-loader awhile back but never really had time for it. I believe now is a good time to start.

OP
General RE LEE
I have noticed a 178 grain ELD-X going ~2500 FPS hits a steel plate at 500 yards with much more “authority” than a 147 grain ELD-M going 2600 FPS.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve recovered every deer I’ve shot with my 6.5 CMs, but the 308 puts them down quick.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed a 178 grain ELD-X going ~2500 FPS hits a steel plate at 500 yards with much more “authority” than a 147 grain ELD-M going 2600 FPS.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve recovered every deer I’ve shot with my 6.5 CMs, but the 308 puts them down quick.

That’s been my experience with both as well. At hunting distances, the .308 seems to put them down quicker.