6x45

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason this cartridge has intrigued me lately. Those of you that have one or played with one could you post up your thoughts and experience with it? I'm most interested in performance with bullets on the heavier end (87-108gr). Actions,mags, barrels and barrel length, velocities attainable, usable powders and reloading data, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Oh... and bolt gun info would be preferred, I'm located in Canada so we aren't allowed those scary black rifles lol. Thanks!

Taudisio

WKR
Tagging in, I have a 6arc, it’s being really finicky with load development, with pressure signs at lower velocities than I have seen some getting in the 6x45. My 6x45 barrel has been ordered for a straight pull ar15

gbflyer

WKR
I shoot no heavier than 87gr Vmax, ~2800 - ish. I don’t think it would be a good cartridge for a larger bullet. .223 brass is plentiful, easy to neck them up. 8208 is “the” powder, I don’t have any so I use H322 and H335 because that’s what I have, somewhere around 25 grains, cheap to feed. I have 2 rifles, both Bighorn Origin actions. That particular action will not accept a BDL style magazine for .223 based case due to the feed lips, I use a HS Precision in one and AICS pattern in the other.

If you have anything more specific you’d like to know, I’d be happy to share. I really like the cartridge. Old and not flashy but gets the job done with no drama.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
The new 6mm MAX is also intriguing if you want to stay with the same bolt face. I really like the 6 ARC and will probably get a 22 ARC, but the 6mm MAX seems to also be a decent contender. However, I don't know what the logistics look like of getting any of that ammo or components up to Canada.

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious about why this might appeal to you over 6mm ARC which seems better to me by every measure of goodness over the 6x45 except case head size…
Some of it is because of case head size. I'm partial to tikkas and they don't make a bolt with that head size. A lot of the appeal for me is that .223 brass is cheap and powder consumption is minimal even compared to the ARC. I've always wanted to mess around with a wildcat cartridge at least once in my life. This one seems to one of the cheaper and easier ways to get there especially here in Canada where everything shooting related is expensive and only getting more expensive.

3sdad

FNG
I have a 6x45 and 6 arc. Both are in bolt guns with 22" barrels. Both are savages. The 6x45 has a bhw barrel and the arc is a factory savage. Bhw barrels have a reputation for speed. They're both pretty neat little rounds. The arc does get better velocity and can shoot the heavies. My 6x45 isnt throated for long projectiles. I shoot 85 grain speers at 2917fps with 26.3 grains of Benchmark and 65 grain vmax at 3242fps with 25 grains of aa2200. The arc with 103eldx is 2764 fps with 30.0 grains of aa2520.

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot no heavier than 87gr Vmax, ~2800 - ish. I don’t think it would be a good cartridge for a larger bullet. .223 brass is plentiful, easy to neck them up. 8208 is “the” powder, I don’t have any so I use H322 and H335 because that’s what I have, somewhere around 25 grains, cheap to feed. I have 2 rifles, both Bighorn Origin actions. That particular action will not accept a BDL style magazine for .223 based case due to the feed lips, I use a HS Precision in one and AICS pattern in the other.

If you have anything more specific you’d like to know, I’d be happy to share. I really like the cartridge. Old and not flashy but gets the job done with no drama.
How long of a barrel are you using? Also, how is terminal performance on game with the 87gr?

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I should also say that this is more of a long-term project idea for me. I'm currently trying to upgrade scopes on a few rifles before moving forward with this. I still have to decide the style of rifle I think I want before trying to find a donor action. At this point I'm leaning toward a trim lightweight walking around sporter for 0-350yd ranged, but that could change... any pics of your rigs past or present would be appreciated.

gbflyer

WKR
How long of a barrel are you using? Also, how is terminal performance on game with the 87gr?

One is 22” the other is 16.5”. There isn’t a lot of difference in velocity. The only body shot I’ve taken is on a coyote, it was impressive that it had a small entrance, massive internal damage and no exit. Probably less than 100 yards. The rest is blacktail deer shopping (not hunting) head and neck shots. Anything works for that.

Basically what you get is the same velocity you’d get out of a .223 but with the next step up in bullet weight. Example: if a 77TMK goes 2800 in your .223 a 87 Vmax will go 2800 in a 6x45 and so on and so forth.

fshaw

WKR
I built a 9 twist 6x45 on a Sako Vixen action using a Hart barrel. Barrel is same length and contour os original was, 23” I believe. I shoot 100gr bullets and hunt deer in the Adirondacks with it. Feeds flawlessly from original magazine. One built on a longer action would give greater COAL but wouldn’t be of Vixen (Bofors) quality. I’ve taken a few bucks with it inside of 100 yards. It’s one of my favorite rifles and would be one of the last I’d sell. I shoot once fired Lake City brass and bought 1,000 pieces for under $100. Brass forming is one pass on FL sizing die. Currently shooting 95 gr Partitions with Rl15 (extremely accurate), bucks were shot with 100gr Norma Oryx and H4895. For where I hunt the ARC would give me nothing additional. If I need more (never have) I’d step up to a .243 Win (I have two) or bigger. Great cartridge, lots of fun and cheap to shoot. Love it. Currently building a Mini Grendel. If you decide to build one you won’t be disappointed if you understand its capabilities going in. Have fun.

ridgeline

FNG
The 6x45 is simply a wicked little hammer ! I built mine with a 1:7" Pacnor SS super match 3 groove #3 profile finished at 18"... Powder appetite is stupid modest as you will make better than 100fps per grain of powder, with very forgiving manners and amazingly trite ES/SD values. Have dabbled the Horn' Moly 87 Vmax. Avg 2882fps with 26.4gr BM, however It's mainstay is Horn' Moly 105gr Amax @ 2600fps with 24.5gr H4895.

24.5gr 8208 Avg 2575fps... 24.5gr BM Avg 2587fps, All Moly 105's kissing lands.

Have been running the Athlon 2-12 for a while now with stellar results. The 6x Swiffer is waiting in the wings should it suffer a puke but hasn't been needed...

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 9 twist 6x45 on a Sako Vixen action using a Hart barrel. Barrel is same length and contour os original was, 23” I believe. I shoot 100gr bullets and hunt deer in the Adirondacks with it. Feeds flawlessly from original magazine. One built on a longer action would give greater COAL but wouldn’t be of Vixen (Bofors) quality. I’ve taken a few bucks with it inside of 100 yards. It’s one of my favorite rifles and would be one of the last I’d sell. I shoot once fired Lake City brass and bought 1,000 pieces for under $100. Brass forming is one pass on FL sizing die. Currently shooting 95 gr Partitions with Rl15 (extremely accurate), bucks were shot with 100gr Norma Oryx and H4895. For where I hunt the ARC would give me nothing additional. If I need more (never have) I’d step up to a .243 Win (I have two) or bigger. Great cartridge, lots of fun and cheap to shoot. Love it. Currently building a Mini Grendel. If you decide to build one you won’t be disappointed if you understand its capabilities going in. Have fun.

The 6x45 is simply a wicked little hammer ! I built mine with a 1:7" Pacnor SS super match 3 groove #3 profile finished at 18"... Powder appetite is stupid modest as you will make better than 100fps per grain of powder, with very forgiving manners and amazingly trite ES/SD values. Have dabbled the Horn' Moly 87 Vmax. Avg 2882fps with 26.4gr BM, however It's mainstay is Horn' Moly 105gr Amax @ 2600fps with 24.5gr H4895.

24.5gr 8208 Avg 2575fps... 24.5gr BM Avg 2587fps, All Moly 105's kissing lands.

Have been running the Athlon 2-12 for a while now with stellar results. The 6x Swiffer is waiting in the wings should it suffer a puke but hasn't been needed...

Nice rifles! Thanks for the ideas... both of these styles of rifles have high appeal for me.

I’m curious about why this might appeal to you over 6mm ARC which seems better to me by every measure of goodness over the 6x45 except case head size…
Just look at the cost of brass at the very least. I just got a 14.5” 6x45 barrel ordered. It’s probably going to replace my 14.5” 223 as a truck gun. I’ll stick with 70-85gr bullets. 300yds and in it should hammer a coyote dead

Thegman

WKR
Not to derail from the 6x45, but this seemed like it might be a good idea if your rifle was limited by mag length and you wanted to use heavier/longer bullets and were looking specifically at the 6x45.

That said, it currently has some big drawbacks, IMO, like lack of easily available dies and barrel options as far as getting it chambered. Maybe at some point if it catches on a little more, like the 277 Wolverine.

I
Not to derail from the 6x45, but this seemed like it might be a good idea if your rifle was limited by mag length and you wanted to use heavier/longer bullets and were looking specifically at the 6x45.

That said, it currently has some big drawbacks, IMO, like lack of easily available dies and barrel options as far as getting it chambered. Maybe at some point if it catches on a little more, like the 277 Wolverine.
got my rcbs small base dies off Amazon yesterday. They’ll be delivered tomorrow. There’s actually a lot that chamber the round. I got my barrel from ritchesprecision. It’s got an 8week lead time. But I’m ok with that. Rancor makes prefits. I’ve seen prefits on gunshack.com ershaw chambers for it. To me the best thing is brass. I don’t have to worry about loosing espensive brass out shooting. It’s easy to find decent brass other than lapua for it. You get plenty of speed and energy out of it and it runs all the same powders as 223. Throw in small rifle primers and it’s done for me. Large rifle primers are crazy to find for me. I just spent 175 bucks for a brick or cci34

TaperPin

WKR
It’s a lot like the 6mm TCU and that round has a great reputation for accuracy - honestly I thought he TCU and 6x45 were the same, but apparently not. What a great little cartridge.

Thegman

WKR
I

got my rcbs small base dies off Amazon yesterday. They’ll be delivered tomorrow. There’s actually a lot that chamber the round. I got my barrel from ritchesprecision. It’s got an 8week lead time. But I’m ok with that. Rancor makes prefits. I’ve seen prefits on gunshack.com ershaw chambers for it. To me the best thing is brass. I don’t have to worry about loosing espensive brass out shooting. It’s easy to find decent brass other than lapua for it. You get plenty of speed and energy out of it and it runs all the same powders as 223. Throw in small rifle primers and it’s done for me. Large rifle primers are crazy to find for me. I just spent 175 bucks for a brick or cci34

I may be incorrect, but I think you're referring to the regular 6x45. I was referring to the MDWS 6mm Mongoose. Seems like it could be a good cartridge as well, that -might- be a little more versatile than the regular 6x45, but I think at this time it has pretty much zero availability other than through MDWS.

The 6x45 has WAY more support/availability and at this time probably a better option in a 5.56 parent case. Maybe if the Mongoose catches on it could be another option, especially for the heavier/longer 6mm bullets.

Taudisio

WKR
I may be incorrect, but I think you're referring to the regular 6x45. I was referring to the MDWS 6mm Mongoose. Seems like it could be a good cartridge as well, that -might- be a little more versatile than the regular 6x45, but I think at this time it has pretty much zero availability other than through MDWS.

The 6x45 has WAY more support/availability and at this time probably a better option in a 5.56 parent case. Maybe if the Mongoose catches on it could be another option, especially for the heavier/longer 6mm bullets.
I don’t see how the mongoose could get the gas for the heavies. It’s a cool in between option for the 6arc, but I can’t imagine it would offer a whole lot more over the 6x45. A 5.56 case is only so big. Basically a 6-223ai with a shorter neck unless I missed something.

Loved mine for my little sister for a 300 yard deer and antelope rifle. The 87gr VMax at 2775 was an absolute pole axe. That gun taught me how little energy matters. It was a 20 inch benchmark barrel on a tikka t3x and was by far the most accurate rifle I’ve ever shot. 10 shot groups were consistently under or at an inch.

Last edited: