325 WSM?

I know she’s getting older, but I’ve really had my eye on a 325WSM for a couple of years now. Do any of you guys still run one? I reload so no issues with ammo except for primers.

I primarily hunt in the foothills and mountains but also do hunting in the parklands. I hunt solo a lot, and in grizz country. Currently I’m running a 270wsm and enjoy the cartridge, but I wanna have a hammer for sticky situations.

Whats your experience with it? Anyone run monos (personal choice for me because I don’t like eating lead)? I’m interested in hearing about the cartridge

Cheers

t_carlson

WKR
I have one, but I really don't carry it much anymore. Not a lot of bullets available to begin with, and there's nothing worth loading over 200 grains.

I also have a 300 WSM and I shoot 200 grain bullets in that. Better BC and SD compared to the 325 with the same bullet weight, so there's not a lot of use for the 325 in my opinion.

gerry35

WKR
I had one and regret selling it. The 300 WSM is more popular but the 325 is a great cartridge. I ran 200's but these days I would look at the 160 gr TTSX at 3300 fps for everything. Hammer makes excellent mono's too.

TaperPin

WKR
I know she’s getting older, but I’ve really had my eye on a 325WSM for a couple of years now. Do any of you guys still run one? I reload so no issues with ammo except for primers.

I primarily hunt in the foothills and mountains but also do hunting in the parklands. I hunt solo a lot, and in grizz country. Currently I’m running a 270wsm and enjoy the cartridge, but I wanna have a hammer for sticky situations.

Whats your experience with it? Anyone run monos (personal choice for me because I don’t like eating lead)? I’m interested in hearing about the cartridge

Cheers
I don’t have one, but dang it looks good on paper since it throws bullets as fast as a 338.

t_carlson

WKR
I don’t have one, but dang it looks good on paper since it throws bullets as fast as a 338.

It won't really do that. A .338 will hit 2950 with a 210 gr. bullet. A .325 will hit about 2850-2900 with a 200 gr. bullets. The best use of a .338, in my opinion, is with 225 or 250 gr. bullets, which the .325 cannot match.

gerry35

WKR
The 325 WSM is a great choice for someone who reloads and wants something a bit different. Compares nicely with the smaller 300 and 338 magnums.

TaperPin

WKR
It won't really do that. A .338 will hit 2950 with a 210 gr. bullet. A .325 will hit about 2850-2900 with a 200 gr. bullets. The best use of a .338, in my opinion, is with 225 or 250 gr. bullets, which the .325 cannot match.
That seems awfully close, but that might just be me. My 338 never liked a heavier bullet, so all the elk it took were with 210, which worked just fine, but would elk be able to tell the difference between 210’s vs a 200 gr bullet even 100 fps slower? The slightly higher BC of the 8mm bullets helps it along - that’s probably closing the gap 50 fps or so at 400-500 yards.

As a strictly timber gun or in Alaska I can see the 250’s being a better choice, it does seem like a more natural fit to the 338 - heck, I had hoped my rifle would shoot a heavy bullet well. When building a rifle specifically for the 250’s, going to a slightly large case in the 340 Wby worked out really well. I‘m biased, but that is one of my all time favorite cartridges.

I still see the 325 and 338 as being used in the same way - moderate range all around general purpose elk gun. If someone needed a long range elk thumper a big 300 mag with 200’s or heavier carries distance better. If a 250 gr bullet is needed, the 340 or 33 Nosler do that better.

I have a good friend who I loaded for his 325 WSM for quite a few years. He still has it and really likes it. He's killed a lot of deer and some large bull elk with it also. It's pleasant to shoot too. His rifle is a Model 70.

If you want to shoot a mono bullet the 180 gr. Nosler E-tip with a 0.427 B.C. would be fantastic.
1711565584751.png

t_carlson

WKR
That seems awfully close, but that might just be me. My 338 never liked a heavier bullet, so all the elk it took were with 210, which worked just fine, but would elk be able to tell the difference between 210’s vs a 200 gr bullet even 100 fps slower? The slightly higher BC of the 8mm bullets helps it along - that’s probably closing the gap 50 fps or so at 400-500 yards.

As a strictly timber gun or in Alaska I can see the 250’s being a better choice, it does seem like a more natural fit to the 338 - heck, I had hoped my rifle would shoot a heavy bullet well. When building a rifle specifically for the 250’s, going to a slightly large case in the 340 Wby worked out really well. I‘m biased, but that is one of my all time favorite cartridges.

I still see the 325 and 338 as being used in the same way - moderate range all around general purpose elk gun. If someone needed a long range elk thumper a big 300 mag with 200’s or heavier carries distance better. If a 250 gr bullet is needed, the 340 or 33 Nosler do that better.

Let me put it this way: I don't see what the 325 offers that the 300 WSM does not. Both spit a 200 gr bullet out at about the same speed, with the 300 having an edge in sectional density and ballistic coefficient, not to mention bullet selection variety.

If you actually NEED a bigger gun, you need, at minimum, a 255 grain bullet in a 338 Win. Mag. to gain anything meaningful.

Don't get me wrong, the 325 works just fine on its own. But when you start comparing it to adjacent offerings, it does not stand out as a better option.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
On paper it's a great round but IMO bullet selection hurts it considerably.

Due to this alone, I'd go with a 300 or 338 and pick your posion.

If you're still interested in the WSM, good news, Lapua is going to start making brass for it this year.

Cyril

FNG
I have a browning 325 wsm that shoots 200gr hammers in a clover leaf at 100 yards. In general it is a pretty good shooter but really loves the hammers. 200gr accubonds around moa. I don't hand load so that is really the downfall for me. I get hand loads from Hendershots in MD that perform. Around a year ago, I saw Winchester 200gr accubonds came available at midway USA.

On my moose hunt last September I was all geared up to dial to 500 if necessary with my NX8. Ended up shooting my moose at 65 yards frontal. The hammer blew up the heart and lungs, went through the entire body cavity, blew through the pelvic bone and the shank exited via a small hole in rump. Never found the petals. Moose didn't run 10 feet, basically one bound and piled up dead in 2 seconds no kicking or twitching.

Recently found the partitions available. Will be loading them up to see how they do. I'm just happy that 8mm and 35 cal bullets are starting to show up.