Mild Recoiling 7mm (preferably) Ideas

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
7mm-08 may get you most of the way there. 280 is more hammer and more recoil. I like both, but they are different. I don't know that the 7mm-08 is that different than the 6.5, but you can load heavier bullets. To fully utilize either of these and especially the 284 Win, you're gonna have to handload. So many options.

WKR

WKR
7mm08 if you don't reload
7mm SAW or 7-6.5 prc if you do and like wildcats

I do have a suppressor cover for use at the range. My issue isn't with mirage from the suppressor. After the first couple strings of shooting I can only get about 3 shots until the barrel gets too hot and I get fliers. I probably could wait a long time for the barrel to cool between strings and get a little more than 3 shots, but that goes back to it just being a pain to practice with.

You are shooting a Tikka. I can almost guarantee that the flyers are not coming from the barrel being hot. Form has a thread here that compares various barrels shot hot vs. cold. Unless you have an outlier, Tikka's hammer-forged barrels don't "walk" when hot.
It is most likely 1) mirage, 2) you start to lose focus due to recoil anticipation (even with a suppressor it is thing), or 3) your system is shooting a larger cone than you would like to believe.

To Clarify- Are you planning to re- barrel your current 7RM Tikka?

If so you will either need to change the bolt face for a non-mag cartridge, or go with another magnum....

If you go a short action cartridge you may need to change the bolt stop and magazines to get proper feeding. this however can give you the option to run a short cartridge with a longer COAL, as long as the lands are out there

OP
collbenn

collbenn

FNG
To Clarify- Are you planning to re- barrel your current 7RM Tikka?

If so you will either need to change the bolt face for a non-mag cartridge, or go with another magnum....

If you go a short action cartridge you may need to change the bolt stop and magazines to get proper feeding. this however can give you the option to run a short cartridge with a longer COAL, as long as the lands are out there
My plan is to sell my 7RM Tikka (Veil Wideland) and buy a new T3x stainless. I did the math on it, and since I'm going to replace the barrel and stock it's cheaper to sell what I have and buy the less expensive stainless.

With the new rifle I'll just buy a cartridge with a bolt face that fits whatever I plan to rebarrel to.

TaperPin

WKR
I see - you’re selling the 7 mag no matter what.
The 6.5 prc is awfully nice - will probably overtake the 7 mag in popularity out west. I’ve changed my primary rifle to the prc from 7 mag - time will tell if it was a good move, but in any way you look at it, the prc passes up the 7 mag past 400 yards with the bullets I normally shoot, or they are at least so close it doesn’t matter. Lol
A974B8A8-9E8B-490F-9F57-A5C4AB342240.jpeg

180ls1

WKR
For those who know better. Why would/wouldn’t he want to just soften the load in his current 7mm?

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Why not a 7mm08 or 7X57? 7X57 worked fine on my moose hunt in Alaska.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpeg
    IMG_0331.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 38

Jon Boy

WKR
My plan is to sell my 7RM Tikka (Veil Wideland) and buy a new T3x stainless. I did the math on it, and since I'm going to replace the barrel and stock it's cheaper to sell what I have and buy the less expensive stainless.

With the new rifle I'll just buy a cartridge with a bolt face that fits whatever I plan to rebarrel to.

7/08. If that’s not enough horse power get it re chambered into 284 win. Either one running the 162 Eldm. There’s a long thread on 284 win in the tikka on here some where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR

Maybe I missed it...but what is your max range shot goal?

If inside 500 yards, just go 7mm-08 for the easy button. 162 ELD-M or, preferably, the 180 ELD-M if barrel will stabilize it. If Sierra ever gets around to it, the 160 TMK would be a great choice too, but nowhere near the BC of the 180 ELD-M (G1= .777)

As @wind gypsy stated, if you go below 160 gr bullet, you might as well step into a 6.5 CM/PRC (or embrace the suck and go 6mm)

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
280 Ackley fits the bill. You could even get a 7-08 stainless and rechamber it to 280AI. All you'd need as a new mag release and longer mag.

UM is working on a longer magazine and bottom metal for Tikkas, so that's a consideration too.

HuntnPack

WKR
For your intended use, goals & requirements I’d recommend the 7 SAUM with 147 gr. Apex Afterburners. Will work well in a Tikka platform.
18-22” bbl. Suppressed.

OP
collbenn

collbenn

FNG
280 Ackley fits the bill. You could even get a 7-08 stainless and rechamber it to 280AI. All you'd need as a new mag release and longer mag.

UM is working on a longer magazine and bottom metal for Tikkas, so that's a consideration too.
Is that all you have to swap out on a Tikka for it to feed 280ai? I was under the impression that some machining was required on the action too.

160 accubond @ 2650’/sec
162 eldx @ 2500’/sec
Both at 7000’ would get you beyond your goal

I think a 7mm08 with staball would be very close
284 win yep
280/280ai yep
7-6.5 prc yep
7 saum yep

I think your goal is definitely achievable with a 20” maybe even a 18” for the bottom 2.

Pick your poison

OP
collbenn

collbenn

FNG
160 accubond @ 2650’/sec
162 eldx @ 2500’/sec
Both at 7000’ would get you beyond your goal

I think a 7mm08 with staball would be very close
284 win yep
280/280ai yep
7-6.5 prc yep
7 saum yep

I think your goal is definitely achievable with a 20” maybe even a 18” for the bottom 2.

Pick your poison
This is pretty much what I'm learning in this thread. Any of these will work it's just a matter of choosing.

I've only hunted in Colorado for elk, and I'm typically a few thousand feet above 7k too, which will only help with speed.