.410 Shotgun for Backpacking

Are there any good lightweight .410 shotgun options for backpacking? Turns out I suck with a .22 pistol at hitting grouse. Going to work on that but I'd like to have a .410 option as well.

I feel like I've seen an ultralight, folding stock, single shot option before but can't seem to find it on the google machine.

CRUN

FNG
Are there any good lightweight .410 shotgun options for backpacking? Turns out I suck with a .22 pistol at hitting grouse. Going to work on that but I'd like to have a .410 option as well.

I feel like I've seen an ultralight, folding stock, single shot option before but can't seem to find it on the google machine.
M6 Scout rifle, 410 and 22LR combo

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Tuffy. The stock is really short, it's hard to get your head low enough to line up right with the barrel. It works, but it's not perfect. Honestly I think I shoot it just as well 1 handed like a pistol.

I bought a Survivor 20 gauge and then bought a full size stock for it. It weighs 5lbs with the light and mount I have on mine, and that probably adds 6oz or so. It's way easier to hit with but the ammo is a little heavier.

What I'd consider is a 22 pistol with a red dot sight. I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a Holosun 507 on it. It is what I take for small game when weight matters. Fully loaded with the Holusun and a heavy leather Tandemkross holster its 2lbs 3.5oz 1lb 12.2oz without the holster but loaded.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I have a Tuffy. The stock is really short, it's hard to get your head low enough to line up right with the barrel. It works, but it's not perfect. Honestly I think I shoot it just as well 1 handed like a pistol.

I bought a Survivor 20 gauge and then bought a full size stock for it. It weighs 5lbs with the light and mount I have on mine, and that probably adds 6oz or so. It's way easier to hit with but the ammo is a little heavier.

What I'd consider is a 22 pistol with a red dot sight. I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a Holosun 507 on it. It is what I take for small game when weight matters. Fully loaded with the Holusun and a heavy leather Tandemkross holster its 2lbs 3.5oz 1lb 12.2oz without the holster but loaded.
Bummer that I can't buy a Ruger 22/45 in WA at the moment. Apparently it's an "Assault Weapon".

Until that gets figured out I'm stuck with the Walther. Have a suppressor on the way so I wouldn't want to buy a .22 pistol without a threaded barrel, which makes them illegal for purchase now in WA.

The Guide

WKR
If I remember correctly, Chiappah has a wire folding stock 22/410. Been a while since I looked at one. I have an M6 original that comes correct as issued to the Air Force pilots with a 22 Hornet over the 410. It isn't light at all cause it is all metal. Also have a Savage M42 410/22lr. They aren't that light either at just over 6 pounds but do breakdown and go together pretty easily and fit in a backpack.

Jay

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I killed a pile of grouse with a P22 years back. Mine was picky, only really liked to function on mini-mags.

I'd order a case of 22 ammo from these guys https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-long-rifle-ammo-c-202.aspx And just learn to shoot the gun.

Also you might wanna look around at what 410 ammo is available, before you go buying one. Last time I looked there wasnt much bird shot available
Yeah, I shoot the mini-mags. It wouldn’t cycle anything else I tried.

Ammoseek is an amazing tool, 9 vendors have 3” #6 shot available. I know it’s been hard to find locally.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
If I remember correctly, Chiappah has a wire folding stock 22/410. Been a while since I looked at one. I have an M6 original that comes correct as issued to the Air Force pilots with a 22 Hornet over the 410. It isn't light at all cause it is all metal. Also have a Savage M42 410/22lr. They aren't that light either at just over 6 pounds but do breakdown and go together pretty easily and fit in a backpack.

Jay
Looks like chiappa has a wire stock 22, but not a 22/410 combo. That would be perfect though.

mcseal2

WKR
The Rossi Tuffy is simple to take down in the field. Unscrew the forearm stud and pull off the forearm, open the action and it comes apart. The Survivor is the same except it needs a Phillips screwdriver, can't be done by hand like the Tuffy.

yfarm

WKR
Bond Arms Snake Charmer if you want light and compact. Just hold on when firing 45LC from it.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 23