$4K Budget for .30-06 + Optic - Elk Rifle

I haven’t read all the post, but there are many fine rifles, tikka, fierce, Christiansen or custom etc.

I would strongly recommend the NXS 2.5-10x42 given your budget. It’s a nearly perfect hunting scope and far more dependable than anything leupold, zeiss or vortex makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I haven’t read all the post, but there are many fine rifles, tikka, fierce, Christiansen or custom etc.

I would strongly recommend the NXS 2.5-10x42 given your budget. It’s a nearly perfect hunting scope and far more dependable than anything leupold, zeiss or vortex makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not for the reticles, those nxs 2.5-10 would be perfect.

I concur with what others are saying.

If I had 4k to spend for a set up (like winning the lottery for me!), it would be for a sub 1k gun, a 1k scope, and the rest on a bipod, kifaru gun bearer, the right load and a slush fund.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Check out Cooper. I love my Jackson Game in 30-06. As for glass, depending on if you can find the rifle for $2500 (perhaps not likely these days), you should have a decent amount over for a few good choices. I’ve got a Tract but I’m thinking of switching to the Leica Amplus 6, which I think together is doable for $4k.

Wapiti151

WKR
Get a tikka, throw a carbon stock on it from one of the many manufacturers. Or, get the Sako you mentioned.

Also, don’t look past the Sako S20…I have one and I absolutely love it. But it before the 31st and you get the other stock set for free from Sako via a rebate they have going right now. And, it’s confirmed a carbon fiber set stock will be released in the near future. They’ve also hinted at new barrels, etc. It’s a pretty sweet set up, albeit heavy-ish in its current state. The Cf stock will cut a significant amount when it’s out.

Spoonbill

WKR
Would greatly appreciate some feedback from elk hunters. I'd like to buy this rifle right the first time and have/use it for many years to come, so I am willing to pay for quality. I appreciate that some of you like to build your guns, but I'm not interested in doing a build myself for a variety of reasons - want to buy a completed rifle in .30-06. I spent a lot of time reading and watching reviews about caliber choice, and ultimately the .30-06 is what appeals to me most.

It doesn't need to be the lightest rifle on the market, but weight is a concern (as a backpacker I'm accustomed to counting ounces). I'd also like to be able to get some range time in without the barrel melting, but I suppose these are mutually exclusive desires.

Couple of options I'm considering:

- Sako 85 Finnlight II
- Weatherby Mark V Hunter (seems to be the best rifle offered by Weatherby in this caliber)

As far as the optic, I've read great things about Leupold, Swarovski and Zeiss. The options are a bit overwhelming and the contentious debate over magnification and other features doesn't help.

If you had a budget of around $4,000, what would be your rifle and optic of choice? FWIW, I have friends in Montana so that will likely be the location of my first elk hunt.
Any reason in particular for getting a 30-06? I ask because i own a lightweight 06 and its not fun to shoot more than a box through off a bench. If the goal is a lighter weight rifle for backpack hunting you may want to consider lighter recoiling round that you can shoot more often. Food for thought before you purchase a rifle.
Sportsman’s Wharehouse had tikka superlites on sale, that gun may fit what you are looking for and it will be below budget.

z987k

WKR
Pot calling the kettle black here!
I don't think it's trolling to point out that seems a rather absurd budget for a rifle there are probably millions of.
I have and do hunt with a 30-06. If I had another $2500 into it, it wouldn't kill anything better than it does now.

Jjmayes83

FNG
I know everyone here is throwing out options and personal opinions and there all great options/opinions. Alot of smart people giving great advice. But, and I could be wrong I didn't read anything other then caliber, weight and budget. So what Options do you like, how far are you comfortable/gonna be shooting, what are some gun brands that you own and enjoy shooting the most and least. Etc. etc. Give us all the info you possibly can so we can better help you.
And one more thing I own 2 30-06 and its not even close to my favorite round. I pretty much dislike everything about when I compare it to my other calibers. That being said if you did proper research and that's the round set in your mind don't let anyone talk you out of it. You may regret or love the decision. But atleast it's yours.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Find a well priced Cooper model 92 + Swaro Z5 w turret. I would get flatter shooting caliber but understand all those loyal 06 peeps

OP
A
Alamo Precision Rifle Maverick or Maverick Light.

Put a Trijicon Credo on top and you’re set!

Go with a Maverick and Alamo will have you built up in 4-6 months. You’ll have it in time to practice and be ready for next season. It’s pretty much full custom, they’ve just made some of the component selections for you. All of which are very good.
If I end up going with a high end rifle, I am leaning toward the Alamo Maverick.

This rifle, but Zeiss V6 3-18x50 scope in Warne Tikka rings.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for chiming in - I am not set on an expensive custom rifle so this is still something I am considering.
I honestly read the title as a troll.

$4k on a 30-06? Why?
The $4K isn't for the rifle, it's for the rifle plus the optic. What percentage of hunters can ethically shoot beyond the effective range of the .30-06? Why is spending money on a versatile caliber ill advised?

Gotta say I agree. My 30-06 rarely comes out, anything it can do my 6.5 PRC can do better. Same could be said for a 280ai, 7 saum, 6.5 saum, 300 wsm. The list goes on. That also opens up some more factory rifle options, namely the Seekins PH2. Not my taste in looks, but they’re comfortable, great shooters, and a reasonable weight.
I haven't spent nearly as much time looking at rifles as I have spent researching calibers. Nobody worth his own salt would disagree with the fact that the .30-06 is an incredibly versatile round. That doesn't mean it's the best round for any given context, because it's not, but a 6.5 cannot "do everything better." There are only trade-offs, there is no perfect round. I am not fully committed to the .30-06 - I'm open to suggestions, but it's a solid choice when the trade-offs of every round are taken into consideration.

Unless you’re just itching to spend that much, I’d grab a Tikka put a nightforce shv 3-10 and be in it less than $2k. Spending and extra $2000 isn’t going to kill anything any more dead.

Having the extra $2K to spend in other areas is appealing. I am not set on an expensive custom rifle so this is still something I am considering.

I concur with what others are saying.

If I had 4k to spend for a set up (like winning the lottery for me!), it would be for a sub 1k gun, a 1k scope, and the rest on a bipod, kifaru gun bearer, the right load and a slush fund.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thank you, see post immediately above.
Any reason in particular for getting a 30-06? I ask because i own a lightweight 06 and its not fun to shoot more than a box through off a bench. If the goal is a lighter weight rifle for backpack hunting you may want to consider lighter recoiling round that you can shoot more often. Food for thought before you purchase a rifle.
Sportsman’s Wharehouse had tikka superlites on sale, that gun may fit what you are looking for and it will be below budget.
Its versatility is appealing to me. It has manageable recoil compared to the magnum rounds, yet it is an appropriate hunting round for everything in North America short of coastal browns or inland grizzlies. What caliber would recommend instead?

I know everyone here is throwing out options and personal opinions and there all great options/opinions. Alot of smart people giving great advice. But, and I could be wrong I didn't read anything other then caliber, weight and budget. So what Options do you like, how far are you comfortable/gonna be shooting, what are some gun brands that you own and enjoy shooting the most and least. Etc. etc. Give us all the info you possibly can so we can better help you.
And one more thing I own 2 30-06 and its not even close to my favorite round. I pretty much dislike everything about when I compare it to my other calibers. That being said if you did proper research and that's the round set in your mind don't let anyone talk you out of it. You may regret or love the decision. But atleast it's yours.

What round do you prefer for elk? My experience with long guns is mostly limited to shotguns and smaller caliber rifles such as the .223 or 7.62x39. The largest caliber rifle I've fired is the 8mm.

OP
A
Buy a $1k rifle and $1k scope, spend the other $2k on ammo and practice shooting it.

Thank you. I think the appeal of this direction is that this being my first big game caliber/rifle, there's always a chance I'll want something different five years from now - and maybe that's the appropriate time to spend the money on a custom rifle. We'll see.

Lawnboi

WKR
Another important factor is if you plan on reloading or shooting factory? Just getting the tikka could limit you if your hand loading a 3006 and planning to shoot longer bullets.