6.5 creed or 6mm for coyotes?

The Guide

WKR
You keeping or just eliminating coyotes. 6.5 can be rough on them when using varmint bullets but big holes make for dead dogs. 6mm is about the best in my opinion for the ability to keep hides and kill at longer distances.

Jay

OP
ColtonJohnson
You keeping or just eliminating coyotes. 6.5 can be rough on them when using varmint bullets but big holes make for dead dogs. 6mm is about the best in my opinion for the ability to keep hides and kill at longer distances.

Jay
Thanks for the info

No brainer, 6. Either is going to wreck a coyote pelt but a 6 is going to be flatter for more range error forgiveness and is going to recoil less so you can spot shots better and follow up quicker.

If you want to use light weight varmint bullets factory 243s are more likely to have the ideal slower twist rates than a 6 creedmoor but I'd prefer to use something like a 6 in 108 ELDm thats going to buck wind better and still expand well.

amassi

WKR
6mm, if you want to keep pelts shoot a-tips
The half dozen or so coyotes I’ve shot with the 90 and 110 a-tips damage was minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark5868

FNG
If solely a varmint (coyote) gun, a .22-250 would be at the top of the list
Nope, the 250 is yesterdays King, old school, Boomer round.

The 22 Creedmoor out does everything the 250 did for Grandpa.

And now you have the 22 ARC as a threat to the Coyote round King.

But the OP didn’t ask about those. The choices were 6.5CM or 6mm. Get with it EMAZ

Last edited:

Buzzy73

FNG
My opinion is the 223 is absolutely perfect. I love my 22-250 but I I had to slow it down to 223 speeds to preserve fur. Both the 6 and 6.5 will be very hard on furs.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is the 223 is absolutely perfect. I love my 22-250 but I I had to slow it down to 223 speeds to preserve fur. Both the 6 and 6.5 will be very hard on furs.
I’ve been using a 22-250 for almost 30 years and on hundreds of coyotes, 52 grain Berger solved all my fur damage problems, pencil in and no exit, DRT every time and my sample size isn’t small, and they’re absolutely cranking, I can’t remember exactly how fast without checking my notes but it was screaming, I tried everything under the sun to find the perfect fur friendly coyote load for the 22-250 and the Berger 52 grain is the closest I have ever seen, be forewarned when you pick them up they drain forever and make a complete mess, that Berger just explodes in them like advertised.

I’ve been using a 22-250 for almost 30 years and on hundreds of coyotes, 52 grain Berger solved all my fur damage problems, pencil in and no exit, DRT every time and my sample size isn’t small, and they’re absolutely cranking, I can’t remember exactly how fast without checking my notes but it was screaming, I tried everything under the sun to find the perfect fur friendly coyote load for the 22-250 and the Berger 52 grain is the closest I have ever seen, be forewarned when you pick them up they drain forever and make a complete mess, that Berger just explodes in them like advertised.
The match or varmint 52 grain Berger? I’ve read the match is actually better on coyotes. I just shot a ladder yesterday to find pressure with the match version. I’ll try it in my 22-250 this year.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
The match or varmint 52 grain Berger? I’ve read the match is actually better on coyotes. I just shot a ladder yesterday to find pressure with the match version. I’ll try it in my 22-250 this year.
Varmint, I have no experience with the match, most of my shots are 50 yards to 200 yards and performance never changed, I have no idea how a bullet doesn’t exit on a broad side coyote at 50 yards going that fast without being just a splash hit but it does, imagine the energy dump that is to an animal, no spinners or runners, zero tail wags, just straight into a pile, it’s ridiculous really. Good luck!