6.5 elk bullet poll!

What bullet should I take elk hunting??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The pedals are designed to come off on a Hammer bullet. They are not like a Barnes or GMX/CX

I think he’s saying once the petals came off the shank turned 70* off course and had less than stellar wounding. Not unusual with hammers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

156 has been a freight train for me!

Fist size wound channels - elk & deer have all fell in sight, I’ve personally tried a lot of 6.5 bullets on elk the 156’s have been a great fit in the PRC/SAUM case in my experiences.

Another consideration, at least for me, is lead free.

Now before you start calling me a commie, it’s not because of predatory birds or environmental reasons (though that is a fringe benefit.)

When bullets like Bergers “grenade” like they do they throw hundreds if not thousands of pieces of microscopic lead throughout the animal. Some of that lead does invariably end up in the meat you consume.

It’s not so much a concern for me as an adult, but my family lives off elk meat. I don’t want to increase my toddlers lead exposure because of my bullet choice.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/is-game-meat-shot-with-lead-safe-to-eat/?amp

Interesting article on the risks of lead in game meat.

Bottom line, for me, the risk isn’t worth it. The performance of mono’s like the bulldozer II’s both at the range and terminally are more than I could ever ask for, and the lack of lead makes it a clear winner.

I do agree, and with some states like CO now they are working on going to lead free ammo. As this is the only state I hunt I start trying copper bullets after a friend used all copper and had great results. I know CO will pass a lead free ammo law in the next few years as it’s being talked about on the governors level, so just like the wolves it will be passed through by a vote…. What I did learn after several years of finding bullets and weighing them after was my copper bullets have never been below 98% weight retention…. Even after passing through animals and finding them in a log or tree. My lead bullets were all over the place on weight retention from 50%-90% if I remember correctly which means up to half the bullet was lost in meat. I also learned I had a lot less meat loss with copper bullets than I did lead core bullets. Which yes my CO tags are cheap with being a resident but I hate losing blood shot meat. I want every bit I can off my animals. I pulled a Barnes TTSX out of my bull this year that entered the chest and stopped in the back strap as it was a weird frontal angle putting him down. When we cut up the back strap we really didn’t notice the blood shot or anything til I hit the bullet with my knife. I actually ate steaks out of the back strap that the bullet passed through and it was fine. I am about 90% sure with a lead bullet I would have lost 1/4 of a back strap.

I do agree, and with some states like CO now they are working on going to lead free ammo. As this is the only state I hunt I start trying copper bullets after a friend used all copper and had great results. I know CO will pass a lead free ammo law in the next few years as it’s being talked about on the governors level, so just like the wolves it will be passed through by a vote…. What I did learn after several years of finding bullets and weighing them after was my copper bullets have never been below 98% weight retention…. Even after passing through animals and finding them in a log or tree. My lead bullets were all over the place on weight retention from 50%-90% if I remember correctly which means up to half the bullet was lost in meat. I also learned I had a lot less meat loss with copper bullets than I did lead core bullets. Which yes my CO tags are cheap with being a resident but I hate losing blood shot meat. I want every bit I can off my animals. I pulled a Barnes TTSX out of my bull this year that entered the chest and stopped in the back strap as it was a weird frontal angle putting him down. When we cut up the back strap we really didn’t notice the blood shot or anything til I hit the bullet with my knife. I actually ate steaks out of the back strap that the bullet passed through and it was fine. I am about 90% sure with a lead bullet I would have lost 1/4 of a back strap.

My wife did the same thing on a cow hunt last year 127lrx shot on a downward angle thru the backstrap of a bedded elk. She didn't move after the shot at all and we ate that backstrap. We also took a bull and a moose with that same bullet last year.

What happened?
The bullet simply exploded rather than penetrating and expanding. It caused a lot of trauma, but did not really penetrate in to the chest cavity. It still killed the deer instantly, but it wasn’t the usual entrance hole on one side and baseball sized hole on the pass through.

The bullet simply exploded rather than penetrating and expanding. It caused a lot of trauma, but did not really penetrate in to the chest cavity. It still killed the deer instantly, but it wasn’t the usual entrance hole on one side and baseball sized hole on the pass through.

Did anything reach the lungs?

I've had great luck with bergers in several different calibers and rifles. Yes, sometimes you'll have a little meat loss if you hit a bone, but I don't think I've ever hit an animal with a berger and not recovered that animal. ELDX are the ones I'd be leary of. I shot an elk with a berger last year and it dropped him right there, shot a blood geyser out of his side when he tried to breathe his last breathes. Only caveat is that it was a 215 berger out of a 300WM. I've shot over ten deer with 140 bergers out of a creedmoor. I feel like I'd feel a little under gunned past 300 yards with that setup though.

Split the difference. My vote is without a doubt for the 140 Berger Elite Hunters. I am pushing them at 3075 out of my 6.5-06 Ackley Improved. I have taken several elk with those bullets, they perform exceptionally well. Never had to track a bull. I have total confidence on any size elk with that bullet.

Never been a fan of monos, and the 156's are a bit too heavy unless you are pushing them out of something like a 26 Nos. IMO.

156 have been devastating for me on everything. Just over 3,000 fps in a 22" 6.5 SAUM. The 143 ELD-X has hammered a couple too, but I'd probably use the 147's over them if I had any. But I have enough 156 for a few barrels! Honestly either will kill it just fine!

Personally I would use the hammers. I hate losing any meat and the bergers create a lot of bloodshot. At 500 and in the hammers will work great. If you have any questions about them call the guys at hammer they are very helpful.
Another bullet to consider is a 140 accubond I’ve used them on elk with great results.

Kevin

Longer shots I’d go with Berger. If you plan on being in the timber or areas where you’re more than likely shooting less than 300, I say hammer will be your huckleberry.

The only copper bullets I'd consider would be high bc monos either hunting or elr. It's the only way I could justify the added cost.

If my entire business and livelihood was centered around lead core hunting bullets that were designed to fragment into hundreds of tiny pieces and retain very little weight, I’d say the exact same thing. Unfortunately for his business, the facts about lead ingestion aren’t kind. That sucks, for all of us.

As for your “copper toxicity” concerns, I’m not saying it’s not real. What I am saying is copper is not nearly as toxic as lead, especially for kids, and further copper bullets retain nearly 100% of their weight and thus leave very little contamination in meat.

Again, not calling for a ban, I’d fight against such nonsense. But if you have young children, lead contamination should be a very real concern, and choosing a lead free bullet is probably prudent.

Maybe the OP doesn’t have kids, maybe he doesn’t care. That’s his call and should be his call. But for me it wasn’t something I even thought about until someone mentioned it, I did my own research and realized there was actually a real danger for my family, and it wasn’t just “liberal BS.”

Bergers have a lot of advantages, and they kill a lot of game. But like any bullet they have downsides, and this is one of them to consider.

Thankfully, there are high BC monos like Badlands and others that offer much improved performance over traditional monos these days.
If you are suggesting Barnes bullets is centered around lead core hunting bullets then you're mistaken. They were one of the first non lead bullet makers around.

If you are suggesting Barnes bullets is centered around lead core hunting bullets then you're mistaken. They were one of the first non lead bullet makers around.
I misread Barnes as Berger. That’s on me. Working on about 4 hrs of sleep.

ETA maybe it was all that lead from before I switched to monos.😂

Last edited:
Back