6.5 Elk bullet

caramon

FNG
I get to go hunt elk every 10 years. I read the 6.5 kill thread, all of it. I have a t3x 6.5cm that shoots 130tmk, 139scenar, 143eldx, 147eldm sub moa. I still can't decide what to take this fall. I'm ready to just flip a coin :(

Has a 4-14 F1 NF SHV on it.

Any help? Range is out to whatever holds ~2000fps for the chosen bullet.

I get to go hunt elk every 10 years. I read the 6.5 kill thread, all of it. I have a t3x 6.5cm that shoots 130tmk, 139scenar, 143eldx, 147eldm sub moa. I still can't decide what to take this fall. I'm ready to just flip a coin :(

Lots of people seem to like the Scenars, but for me they were not impressive. They would fragment and take out the far side lung, but pencil through the front side. Any of the other three bullets you mentioned will kill faster and result in less tracking.

None of those, shoot the Norma Bondstrike.
Still not tough enough for elk shoulders, needs a TSX going no less than 5,000fps.
Are you sure a 6.5 needmore has enough foot pounds of energy?
6.5mm is metric so it should go by the Joule system. The conversion equation was lost in a shipwreck long ago so nobody really knows if it would be effective...

50/50 130 Tmk/147 Eldm. Whichever you can find a few hundred of first

143 eldx, it is just what I shoot. I havnt taken a elk with it yet. Several mule deer and pronghorn though have died from my gun

I’ve had some pretty successful few years shooting pigs which I’d say are tougher than any elk along with some good success on deer, bears coyotes and elk and from what I’ve seen they all work the same. Shoot whatever rifle you’re comfortable with and use a bullet that is going the appropriate speed for the range you intend to shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back