6.5 PRC 125 Hammer HHT

wy_will

FNG
I had a 6.5 PRC chambered earlier than planned for my girlfriend to use on an elk hunt. I was picking up a barreled action from my gunsmith and had mentioned the idea of having one made for next season. Low and behold, he had a spare action and a 20” proof on the shelf. Spun it up then and there. So now I had 2 weeks to get a load for her hunt and kids and poor weather really limited my days of testing. I decided to try the Hammer 125 HHT since I wanted a light recoil for a very light rifle. I did a ladder test with RL23. Found what seemed like a decent node and did seating depth testing. I shot 3 shot groups at 400 yards starting at 0.010” jump and increasing by 0.005” each grouping. 0.020 jump ended up at 0.4 moa group at 400. Now for her to actually shoot the rifle and to get a good velocity average and get zeroed. Zeroed the rifle at 200 yards and velocity was 3080 fps.

4 days later we were elk hunting. She made a 300 yard shot on a bull slightly quartering towards us. Barely hit the leg on entry, double lung and no exit. Ribs were busted up on the off side, but no bullet fragments were recovered. Bull died in less than 10 seconds and trotted about 6 yards after the shot before tipping over dead. I was honestly surprised how fast he went down. Quite a bit of blood loss in the chest cavity. Not a lot of internal trauma though. Bullet certainly did it’s job and I can’t argue with the end results. To be fair, it was getting a bit late and we didn’t dig around much to find any bullet fragments to to really analyze the damage.

Not bad for her first elk though. Actually, it’s her first anything.IMG_1348.jpegIMG_1354.jpegIMG_1355.jpeg

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome bull, with the experience you've had with the PRC do you think its worth the jump compared to the creedmoor? I have a 26" CM that is pushing 130gr Bergers @ 2920, but there is something about the extra velocity from a factory rifle.

sndmn11

WKR
Awesome bull, with the experience you've had with the PRC do you think its worth the jump compared to the creedmoor? I have a 26" CM that is pushing 130gr Bergers @ 2920, but there is something about the extra velocity from a factory rifle.

No way.

I had a 6.5 PRC

I decided to try the Hammer 125 HHT

velocity was 3080 fps.

Can you get more velocity or did you find pressure?

OP
W

wy_will

FNG

Depends if the added velocity is worth it to you. If your creedmoor works for you, why change? I’ve never compared the two, but it can’t be very substantial.

OP
W

wy_will

FNG
No way.

Can you get more velocity or did you find pressure?

I was not at pressure. I could probably get some more speed out of it. I just didn’t have much time to tinker, so I decided a node over 3000 fps was good enough. It does only have a 20” barrel, so bear that in mind.

Woitey

FNG
I have two Coopers. Both 1/8 twist. One in PRC and the other Creed. Using 38 grains of Varget I am getting 2870 fps with 124 Hammer Hunters, shooting into the .2's for three shots. I found that R23 in my PRC was not consistent. I used 61.0 grains of Magnum with the same 124 HH and am getting 3100 fps per Labradar. It also shoots into the .2's for three shots. The PRC has a 24 inch barrel, and the Creed a 22 inch. No pressure signs on either round.

I’m using the 125 HHT in my 6.5 PRC, 10 shot groups right at MOA out of a Tikka RT Ember using Lapua brass, Fed 215 primers, and R26. Average velocity is 3242, SD of 8.

Glad to see positive reviews of the terminal ballistics on the HHT. Will be using mine for elk this weekend.

OP
W

wy_will

FNG
I’m using the 125 HHT in my 6.5 PRC, 10 shot groups right at MOA out of a Tikka RT Ember using Lapua brass, Fed 215 primers, and R26. Average velocity is 3242, SD of 8.

Glad to see positive reviews of the terminal ballistics on the HHT. Will be using mine for elk this weekend.

I am using Lapua brass as well, but using a Fed GM210M primer.

eoperator

WKR
I have two Coopers. Both 1/8 twist. One in PRC and the other Creed. Using 38 grains of Varget I am getting 2870 fps with 124 Hammer Hunters, shooting into the .2's for three shots. I found that R23 in my PRC was not consistent. I used 61.0 grains of Magnum with the same 124 HH and am getting 3100 fps per Labradar. It also shoots into the .2's for three shots. The PRC has a 24 inch barrel, and the Creed a 22 inch. No pressure signs on either round.
You should think about benchrest competition with that load, you would win them all!

I had a 6.5 PRC chambered earlier than planned for my girlfriend to use on an elk hunt. I was picking up a barreled action from my gunsmith and had mentioned the idea of having one made for next season. Low and behold, he had a spare action and a 20” proof on the shelf. Spun it up then and there. So now I had 2 weeks to get a load for her hunt and kids and poor weather really limited my days of testing. I decided to try the Hammer 125 HHT since I wanted a light recoil for a very light rifle. I did a ladder test with RL23. Found what seemed like a decent node and did seating depth testing. I shot 3 shot groups at 400 yards starting at 0.010” jump and increasing by 0.005” each grouping. 0.020 jump ended up at 0.4 moa group at 400. Now for her to actually shoot the rifle and to get a good velocity average and get zeroed. Zeroed the rifle at 200 yards and velocity was 3080 fps.

4 days later we were elk hunting. She made a 300 yard shot on a bull slightly quartering towards us. Barely hit the leg on entry, double lung and no exit. Ribs were busted up on the off side, but no bullet fragments were recovered. Bull died in less than 10 seconds and trotted about 6 yards after the shot before tipping over dead. I was honestly surprised how fast he went down. Quite a bit of blood loss in the chest cavity. Not a lot of internal trauma though. Bullet certainly did it’s job and I can’t argue with the end results. To be fair, it was getting a bit late and we didn’t dig around much to find any bullet fragments to to really analyze the damage.

Not bad for her first elk though. Actually, it’s her first anything.View attachment 612292View attachment 612293View attachment 612294
What stock do you have on that build? Also nice bull and she's a keeper 👌 👏

OP
W

wy_will

FNG
What stock do you have on that build? Also nice bull and she's a keeper

It has a HNT26 chassis on it. First time using this chassis, but I do like it. This one is a folder with the built-in arca rail. If I got another one, it would be this same configuration.