6.5 PRC and 7mm PRC

Fujicon

FNG
Note the title of this thread is 6.5 PRC and 7mm PRC, not vs. That's because I'm hoping to avoid the typical immature online pissing contest between catridge fanboys. With that out of the way...

The question rattling around my mind is whether those who have both 6.5 PRC and 7mm PRC consider it much of a leap from one to the other. Though just a half-mil difference, certainly the bullet weights are higher for the 7, but what about real-world hunting experience? Is the 7 a true game changer compared to the 6.5 or is it just one of those psychological "more is better" propositions? Seemingly, for the great majority of game south of Alaska the 7's higher bullet weight advantage doesn't seem that much of an advantage, but I have no real-world experience to know so hoping others here can share their actual experience between the two. Thanks.

hiker270

WKR
I looked at both the 6.5 PRC and the 7 PRC. Purchased a Christensen Ridgeline FFT in 7 PRC. Only reason was the 7 PRC shoots heavier bullets. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor so I went with the 7 PRC. This rifle will be my suppressed elk rifle. So far accuracy wise I have not been disappointed in both factory ammo and several reloads.

Beendare

WKR
I think Erik Cortina does a ballistic comparison on those 2 cartridges on his Youtube channel- not sure. He talks a lot about the 6.5needsmore
ERIK
If you are a rifle hunter, Eriks channel is a must see. Erik is a many times long range rifle champ and has some great info to improve our shooting.

Shadowden

FNG
In the west with the ability to hunt everything from thin-skinned antelope to moose, the decider for me would be how big of a swing in bullet weight could each make. With the heavier 7mm being good for elk and then changing bullet construction for lighter game, that is probably the way I would go. It is also less overbore since they share a parent cartridge which should be more efficient.

I've not shot a modern cartridge, so would really like to get a feel for the recoil. I would like as light as possible while still giving me the downrange ballistics. I like 30 caliber, so am very curious about the 300 prc personally.

Last edited:

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
1710121495751.png

Its not just 0.5 mm, the 7 PRC case also holds more go go juice. Choose whichever one you want, both will kill anything you hit properly with good bullets.

I have a 6.5 SAUM in progress, which has a little more gas than a 6.5 PRC and just to be a little different.

OP
Fujicon

Fujicon

FNG
View attachment 685523

Choose whichever one you want, both will kill anything you hit properly with good bullets.
Exactly what I was thinking. I do appreciate innovation in shooting sports, and seems lately we're getting an awful lot of new cartridges in 6.5, 7, and 30, but don't get the impression we're achieving a lot more performance/lethality to go with them. Thus the question whether the 7 PRC is a true game changer compared to the 6.5 PRC. I suppose if someone is in a very rarified category shooting game at 1000+ yards or something like that...

180ls1

WKR
Exactly what I was thinking. I do appreciate innovation in shooting sports, and seems lately we're getting an awful lot of new cartridges in 6.5, 7, and 30, but don't get the impression we're achieving a lot more performance/lethality to go with them. Thus the question whether the 7 PRC is a true game changer compared to the 6.5 PRC. I suppose if someone is in a very rarified category shooting game at 1000+ yards or something like that...

Its not a game changer it just fills the gap between the 6.5 and 300. Its a great round.

For hunting, I wouldn't use a 6.5 on elk/moose. Would you likely kill it if you did. Yes. I prefer a heavier bullet and more energy for larger animals. If you just look at ballistics for the two calibers, this should narrow your choice for your preferred uses.
Have fun shopping!

Archer86

WKR
For hunting, I wouldn't use a 6.5 on elk/moose. Would you likely kill it if you did. Yes. I prefer a heavier bullet and more energy for larger animals. If you just look at ballistics for the two calibers, this should narrow your choice for your preferred uses.
Have fun shopping!
Welcome to rokslide you are about to get educated on bullet energy I suspect...

Archer86

WKR
Note the title of this thread is 6.5 PRC and 7mm PRC, not vs. That's because I'm hoping to avoid the typical immature online pissing contest between catridge fanboys. With that out of the way...

The question rattling around my mind is whether those who have both 6.5 PRC and 7mm PRC consider it much of a leap from one to the other. Though just a half-mil difference, certainly the bullet weights are higher for the 7, but what about real-world hunting experience? Is the 7 a true game changer compared to the 6.5 or is it just one of those psychological "more is better" propositions? Seemingly, for the great majority of game south of Alaska the 7's higher bullet weight advantage doesn't seem that much of an advantage, but I have no real-world experience to know so hoping others here can share their actual experience between the two. Thanks.
I have both I wouldn't hesitate to use a 6.5 prc for anything I would use a 7prc for.

OP
Fujicon

Fujicon

FNG
I have both I wouldn't hesitate to use a 6.5 prc for anything I would use a 7prc for.
Yes. Exactly. And honestly, I think the 7PRC is awesome. If I was a newbie looking for a first rifle, the 7PRC would be a dang near perfect choice, far better than the 6.8 Western given the PRC's increasing popularity compared to the Western's fizzle, and certainly better than the belted 7RM. But for those who already have a 6.5PRC, just don't see enough difference to motivate. And what's next? I would hope to see a future PRC in 338 or, even better, something in 35 caliber... now that would be motivation! YMMV.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
To put it simple terms, the 7 PRC is a 7mm RM without a belt. They're basically same/same. Certainly no "game changer" other than it's a 7mm Magnum "done right" from the ground up. The 6.5 PRC is a short action 6.5-06 (or 270 Win if you will).

In an 18" bbl'd suppressed rifle, the 7 PRC is a 280 Ai, and the 18" suppressed 6.5 PRC is a maximum saami handloaded 6.5x55.

Personally, I don't like recoil. Having killed enough elk with a variety of cartridges from 7mm-08 to 338 WM, I'd go with the 6.5 PRC. Put a bullet in the right spot, and it's lights out.

Most of this cartridge mental masturbation amounts to pole vaulting mouse turds. Cartridges are more alike than different...

Last edited:

Kren

FNG
I don't really think either of these cartridges are "game changers" of any sort, and I don't really think there is/was a void for them to fill. I am sure either of these with the right bullet will pretty well kill anything.

I am not sure that I agree that the 7 PRC is "far better" than the 6.8 Western either as far as a cartridge is concerned. I was considering a 7PRC lately as well, but have been reading a lot how people aren't really seeing anything close to their advertised speeds. And actually being they aren't hitting advertised speeds, the 6.8 is actually a flatter shooting cartridge, caries energy further, and also recoils less. So to me that's a win, win, win for the 6.8western over the 7prc.

Now if you're in the market for a new rifle chambered in 6.5 or 7mm I don't think these are "bad choices" either, I am simply saying I don't think either of these is the end all be all. And if i could only have one to hunt everything in the lower 48 I'd take the 7 personally.

CTHC

FNG
Classified Approved
The price difference and less recoil pushed me to the 6.5.

Gila

WKR
I don't really think either of these cartridges are "game changers" of any sort, and I don't really think there is/was a void for them to fill. I am sure either of these with the right bullet will pretty well kill anything.

I am not sure that I agree that the 7 PRC is "far better" than the 6.8 Western either as far as a cartridge is concerned. I was considering a 7PRC lately as well, but have been reading a lot how people aren't really seeing anything close to their advertised speeds. And actually being they aren't hitting advertised speeds, the 6.8 is actually a flatter shooting cartridge, caries energy further, and also recoils less. So to me that's a win, win, win for the 6.8western over the 7prc.

Now if you're in the market for a new rifle chambered in 6.5 or 7mm I don't think these are "bad choices" either, I am simply saying I don't think either of these is the end all be all. And if i could only have one to hunt everything in the lower 48 I'd take the 7 personally.
I prefer the 6.8 Western and like hand loading that cartridge. However the 7 PRC when hand loaded has the case powder capacity to exceed the 6.8 Western ballistics with a good shooting barrel. The 7 PRC factory ammunition seems rather “anemic” in my opinion. I am not willing to say that one cartridge is better than the other. The 6.8. West / 6.5 PRC checks all of the boxes while the three boxes the 7 PRC does not check is recoil, bullet availability (in factory ammo) and action length.

199p

FNG
I have both a 20" 6.5prc and 20" 7 prc

Have hardly used the 6.5 and only just got the 7prc but have shot both at steel and at 500y the 7prc hits so much harder there is a massive difference in real world energy. If that extra knockdown is what you need is up2 you. Im looking to rebarrel the 6.5prc to 6mmprc do a short barrel and run a can 17" or so

Schma

FNG

I have all of the PRC's but have them for different reasons. For me, the 7 PRC makes better sense for elk due to the increased energy and BC. I see alot of 7 PRC owners complaining about the low velocities on factory Hornady ammo. I am using 72.5 grains of Vihtavouri N570 with a Hornady 175 ELDX bullet and Peterson brass at 3020 FPS out of my 22 inch Proof barrel with half inch MOA. N560 will get you close to 3000 FPS but N570 Is MAGIC. I also use it in my 300 PRC with the same results. Use this data at your own RISK!