6.5 PRC Regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGRaider

WKR
6.5 PRC is a meme round that nobody really asked for. I don’t really see the point of it if I’m being honest. Does nothing the 6.5 creed or 6.5 weatherby can’t do. Just seems like yet another marketing caliber that has zero soul or real purpose. This doesn’t mean it’s a BAD caliber, just one that kinda has no real role.

Quick load and brass seem to disagree. But to each his own.

You must be an expert in math if you understand pressures of longer than SAAMI rounds by just “guessing”.

Well, QL is actually a "guess" as well, but you probably knew that. Take the data from 3-4 reloading manuals, then compare those velocities with what you stated. Doesn't take a math expert to see what's going on. You must be one of the very few people on the planet who has figured out how to get extreme velocities without raising pressures.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Well, QL is actually a "guess" as well, but you probably knew that. Take the data from 3-4 reloading manuals, then compare those velocities with what you stated. Doesn't take a math expert to see what's going on. You must be one of the very few people on the planet who has figured out how to get extreme velocities without raising pressures.
You’re funny. And arrogant. But you probably knew that too.

Read the article. If you load longer than SAAMI you can add more powder without pressure increases.

Bryan Litz wrote it. He must be stupid too. In fact everyone who isn’t you must not know what’s up.

Furthermore, as mentioned initially to each his own. I don’t need to prove to you much. You stated to show a 6.5C that can push 2950. Two folks showed you. And like normal you nay-sayed. Then waste your money on a Hornady overhyped PRC that under performs and everyone else who is happy with 6.5C will be happy too.

I’m going to go teach college students math and fly airplanes now :).

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
Been loading long in my Tikkas for years FWIW. Should have said "safely" I guess but I thought that was a given. A college professor? It all makes sense now. Good luck!

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
You must be one of the very few people on the planet who has figured out how to get extreme velocities without raising pressures.

Him and all the Sherman cult members...

Then waste your money on a Hornady overhyped PRC that under performs and everyone else who is happy with 6.5C will be happy too.

What a stupid thing to say, why couldn't you just run the PRC at the same 80k PSI and get the 140's to 3300 FPS 🤷‍♂️

Between the 6.5x55mm Mauser and the .270 Winchester, out to 400 yards, it brings little to the table.

And the above cartridges are loaded by PPU and are inexpensive training ammo, providing quality once-fired brass for hunting reloads.

GR

Woitey

FNG
I can't speak to the Swede, but I've owned two 6.5 PRC's and they both, (using handloads) were more accurate than the custom shop CZ 270 Winchester Sonoran I owned. By a decent margin. Perceived recoil seems to be less also at least to me. I submit the 6.5 PRC is a better 270 Winchester. I feel that the 6.5 Creed is a better .308 for the same reasons. With the caveat that the .308 can throw a much heavier bullet. I will agree that 400 yards and in, there isn't much of a difference between the 6.5 PRC and the 270. By the time the PRC's streamlined bullet kicks in, it's too far for me to shoot anything other than paper and steel.

Academically, it would be a good cartridge for a new, one rifle shooter that intends to hunt medium to large game and reload.

But, in the practical, inexpensive factory ammo for adequate training goes a long way toward success in the field, and handloading down the road provides good economy, precision, and bullets for any cartridge.

Neither the 6.5x55mm Mauser nor the .270 Winchester have any trouble shooting inside of 2 MOA with any ammo, and 1.5 MOA or less with premium and handloads.

That they are also easy the handle and feed, and increase magazine capacity doesn't hurt either.

Again, like the 6.5 PRC cartridge, but not enough to replace that which has no practical limitations.

GR

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The 6.5 PRC makes little sense for a std. hunting rifle cartridge.

GR
Rational would make that comment more valuable. I do not and never have owned a 6.5 of any flavor, so I'm just making an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.