6.5 PRC vs 30-06 as a Hunting Cartridge

Here’s one I’d be interested in seeing a discussion. Both have their benefits but does one really outshine the other? I believe the 06 covers just about all big game in North America. I bet the 6.5 PRC is pretty close.

OP
General RE LEE
Please use the search bar and find the 10 page thread on this exact question.

Please read my thread title before flippantly responding to my post. Dunno maybe you don’t know there is a separate cartridge called 6.5 PRC

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Please use the search bar and find the 10 page thread on this exact question.
You mean the one about a different cartridge?

OP, you have compared the two yourself based on your post and pretty well summed up any discussion with your opening words. "I believe the 06 covers just about all big game in North America. I bet the 6.5 PRC is pretty close".

Amen, pick the correct bullet for the task.

OP
General RE LEE
Gimme that 6.5 SD from elk on down! I think the PRC is a great do it all cartridge . Not sayin* the ‘06 is any slouch but modern high bc bullets are a huge differentiator. Compared to my 300wm it’s a joy to shoot and I can see my impacts.

Yep I lose the sight picture at the shot with my 06. It’s a traditional wood stock, blue barreled action sporter that I have zero desire to get threaded for a brake. The 6.5 PRC in the right platform is great for spotting shots.

Decker9

WKR
Which bullet from the PRC did you use for your moose?

I used a 140gr accubond at 2975 fps. The shot was about 75 yards centre double lung.

I suspect if my bullet was a touch slower the shock wouldn’t have traveled so far into the shoulder. The expiry time it took I wasn’t to happy with compared to the 30 and 375 calibers Iv used. It was pushing 2 minutes until the pull died.

mt100gr.

WKR
I used a 140gr accubond at 2975 fps. The shot was about 75 yards centre double lung.

I suspect if my bullet was a touch slower the shock wouldn’t have traveled so far into the shoulder. The expiry time it took I wasn’t to happy with compared to the 30 and 375 calibers Iv used. It was pushing 2 minutes until the pull died.
I appreciate that data point. I have a handful of .264 cal rifles shooting a variety of bullets and have very much been enjoying my continuing education course here on terminal performance of the various bullet construction types.

Lamiller

FNG
Here’s one I’d be interested in seeing a discussion. Both have their benefits but does one really outshine the other? I believe the 06 covers just about all big game in North America. I bet the 6.5 PRC is pretty close.
Both great. 30-06 has arguably taken more big game animals than any other in history. Depends on your intentions though. The 30-06 does a lot of things good but nothing absolutely great. 6.5 is very flat but I’d be hesitant to reach out at a big bull at 500+ yards. I’ve used both and taken bulls with both. All of them within 300 yds and no complaints on either cartridge.

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
06 for me. The plethora of 30 cal bullets does it for me for a pure “hunting” rifle the 2 are going head 2 head

Rich M

WKR
The bullet technology is excellent. Just dont compare a 180-200 bullet vs a 140. Not apples to apples.

Too many guys buying long range guns so they can kill and not being ready or able to take the shot.

There is a ML post around here where guy is complaining about LR MLs skewing tag results and they want a flintlock season.

Maybe we should go straightwall cartridge only for all states and all game?