6.5CM Monometal factory loadings - anyone had success?

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
What monometal factory loads are ya'll having luck with?

Yesterday I tried the Barnes TTSX 120gr, the Federal barnes TSX 130 gr, and the Hornady Outfitter and Superformance 120gr CX loadings.

The Barnes was meh.

The Hornady loads were atrocious - like 5"+ 5 shot groups.

The Federal 130gr load showed promise but I need to confirm...

As a control, my ELDM 140gr 10-shot group was <1".

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
No - but I'd like to. I'm heading to Kodiak in early December - wouldn't mind having those terminal ballistics on board just in case.

Macintosh

WKR
I had a tikka 7mm08 that was shooting poorly. Folks told me that the mono bullets were sensitive to previous copper fouling from lead bullets and suggested I clean thoroughly with a copper solvent. I did, it helped. If your gun is pretty well, fouled already, it could be a contributing factor?

hiker270

WKR
The Federal 130 Terminal Ascent is a tack driver in my Tikka 6.5 CM. I have shot the Barnes 127 LRX and it shoots under MOA also. I personally don't use all copper unless I have to.

Unckebob

WKR
I don't know if it is Fuddlore, but I have heard it is better for accuracy to clean a barrel down to bare metal if you switch to copper.

hiker270

WKR
I don't know if it is Fuddlore, but I have heard it is better for accuracy to clean a barrel down to bare metal if you switch to copper.
I personally have not been able to tell the difference in accuracy when changing from lead core bullets to all copper without cleaning the barrel. Maybe some rifles act differently.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
What would that be, versus a lead core projectile?
OK - let me put this a different way

140gr ELDM and 143gr ELDX Hornady loads shoot phenomenally. However, neither are what I consider a particularly good hunting bullet outside of light skinned game. Very poor weight retention, and not particularly great penetration.

I've killed a lot of game with Barnes bullets and have confidence in their abilities and thus would like to find something similar...

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have not been able to tell the difference in accuracy when changing from lead core bullets to all copper without cleaning the barrel. Maybe some rifles act differently.
Funny - someone said the same to me but I guess I don't understand why that would be the case. Whether a monometal or not, the outside of the bullet is typically a copper jacket is it not?

I'll clean the barrel regardless I suppose - though I typically shy away from heavy de-fouling - I have less than 300 down this tube.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
OK - let me put this a different way

140gr ELDM and 143gr ELDX Hornady loads shoot phenomenally. However, neither are what I consider a particularly good hunting bullet outside of light skinned game. Very poor weight retention, and not particularly great penetration.

I've killed a lot of game with Barnes bullets and have confidence in their abilities and thus would like to find something similar...
I'd just use the 140gr eldm.

The issue I have seen with monos, is that they tend to be inconsistent with a couple things. Putting shots through the lungs, I’ve yet to see an animal just drop. I have however seen wildly inconsistent blood trails. 2 deer in ‘22 with a .300 win mag and copper ammo, zero blood trails. Both made it a decent ways. ‘23 shot a deer with the cx bullet from my 6.5 creed, and the blood trail was insane. That being said it still ran 80+yds. I will say the lack of bloodshot meat is nice.