6.5CM Monometal factory loadings - anyone had success?

Quite a few terminally dead animals with the ELD bullets in this thread.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Only while cutting up elk and antelope I've shot with them. Granted it's only around 10 or 12 critters, but they appeared to be real dead.
Har har.

Look man - I have heard your point of view. If you'd like to provide something towards the topic at hand, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, have a great day.

I would like to use a Barnes bullet. I want something I can have some confidence in if I had to use it on a pissed of bear. Hopefully won't have to, but don't want to be shooting less than adequate bullets at them.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
The issue I have seen with monos, is that they tend to be inconsistent with a couple things. Putting shots through the lungs, I’ve yet to see an animal just drop. I have however seen wildly inconsistent blood trails. 2 deer in ‘22 with a .300 win mag and copper ammo, zero blood trails. Both made it a decent ways. ‘23 shot a deer with the cx bullet from my 6.5 creed, and the blood trail was insane. That being said it still ran 80+yds. I will say the lack of bloodshot meat is nice.
Ya - they won't perform like the lighter construction bullets in light skinned game for sure.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Think the reasoning behind the cleaning between jacketed and monos is due to jacketed bullets will compress to a degree to accomodate the rifling and the monos do not, the copper has to flow. I would definitely try cleaning thoroughly. One of those should shoot good in your rifle.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider

Quite a few terminally dead animals with the ELD bullets in this thread.
All due respect - the title of this thread isn't "What can I kill with an ELD bullet?"

Appreciate your input. Have a good one.

I have heard a lot of good things accuracy wise with the hammers- main gripe it seems is that they inflate their b.c. numbers. I’m curious to try them at some point also

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Har har.

Look man - I have heard your point of view. If you'd like to provide something towards the topic at hand, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, have a great day.

I would like to use a Barnes bullet. I want something I can have some confidence in if I had to use it on a pissed of bear. Hopefully won't have to, but don't want to be shooting less than adequate bullets at them.
Look man - I applaud your enthusiasm to solve a problem that does not exist. Good luck in your quest.

Just trying to save you time and money, I apologize.

All due respect - the title of this thread isn't "What can I kill with an ELD bullet?"

Appreciate your input. Have a good one.

Who cares what the title says, man. Read the book! There are tons of examples of "match" bullets killing animals very quickly in that thread. That is what he pointed to.

I personally want a bullet that is going to enter an animal do as much destruction as possible, especially if that animal is trying to kill me. Penetration doesn't kill animals, wound channels do. How long those wound channels are doesn't matter nearly as much as how wide they are.
If you want to shoot monos, go for it. I, for one, have already taken that journey. From cup and core, to bonded, to monos, back to bonded, and now to "match". The only thing I use bonded bullets for is actual thick skinned animals (Nilgai), and the only thing I shoot monos in is my 6.5 Grendel and only because I have a super accurate load and 300 bullets to use up. Even then, I am only taking head/neck shots with them. Once those are gone it is back to 123 grain SSTs.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Who cares what the title says, man. Read the book! There are tons of examples of "match" bullets killing animals very quickly in that thread. That is what he pointed to.

I personally want a bullet that is going to enter an animal do as much destruction as possible, especially if that animal is trying to kill me. Penetration doesn't kill animals, wound channels do. How long those wound channels are doesn't matter nearly as much as how wide they are.
If you want to shoot monos, go for it. I, for one, have already taken that journey. From cup and core, to bonded, to monos, back to bonded, and now to "match". The only thing I use bonded bullets for is actual thick skinned animals (Nilgai), and the only thing I shoot monos in is my 6.5 Grendel and only because I have a super accurate load and 300 bullets to use up. Even then, I am only taking head/neck shots with them. Once those are gone it is back to 123 grain SSTs.
It's funny how my 20+ years of hunting on multiple continents with Barnes bullets is suddenly meaningless with this great knowledge bomb dropped on me.

Mash

FNG
While not factory ammo I have had excellent results with the Abosute Hammers and the Sierra Badlands SBD II in my 6.5x284. For closer range the hammers are perfect but I found when stretching them past 700 they couldn’t carry the speed I wanted due to the lower BC. I tried the SBD II’s this last deer season and had great terminal performance from 370 to 760 yards. They have a solid shank after the nose parlay break off creating separate wound channels and the shank keeps driving on. If reload this could be a viable option for you.

It's funny how my 20+ years of hunting on multiple continents with Barnes bullets is suddenly meaningless with this great knowledge bomb dropped on me.

So, you have all that experience but come here asking for recommendations. Got it.

Put in another 20 years and a couple hundred animals and I might start taking you seriously.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
So, you have all that experience but come here asking for recommendations. Got it.

Put in another 20 years and a couple hundred animals and I might start taking you seriously.
I'm not finding one - yet - that shoots well in 6.5CM... jesus. Reading is fundamental.

It's amazing how easily you get butt hurt on the internet. Your behavior pretty much ensures I'll never take you seriously, so we're even bud.

180ls1

WKR
Anyone know of anyone who offers a hammer bullet load? I guess Unknown Munitions...

They are supposed the be the easiest bullet to load for. Mine took no work up except finding pressure and is stupid accurate line 0.5". The guy who helped me is experienced though.

124hh in 6.5 prc. They work extremely well.