6mm ARC Gas gun

letrbuck

WKR
Who here has a 6mm ARC on an AR15 platform? Since I cant use the venerable 77 TMK for elk where I'm at I was looking into building/buying a 6mm of some flavor to use the 108 ELDM and noticed that factory 6mm ARC ammo is currently not much more than the price of new brass....

Got a few extra parts laying around and could do an AR upper pretty easy and cheap

If you've got one:
What's your $.02 on one in an AR?
Do you hunt with it?
Shoot it suppressed?
What make and length barrel are you using?

eric1115

WKR
Bolt 6 ARC user here,

Awesome hunting round so far (sample size 2 animals, but so far so good).

Suppresses really well. Like .22lr sound and .223 recoil.

SBR Sarge

FNG
2643 fps out of the ELD-X through a 18” Odin barrel. And sub moa all day long at 100 yds. 2621 for the ELD-M and similar precision.

2344 fps out of my 12.5” Monster barrel and 1.25 to 1.5 moa at 100 yds for both ELD-X and ELD-M.

Both barrels wear cans; either an Omega 300 or 762-SDN-6.

I just built a 13” from Precision Firearms that I hope to hunt with this year.

Unckebob

WKR
I have one, but I don't hunt with it. I built it for target work. I liked it so much that I bought a Savage Bolt gun (again with a heavy barrel) to practice with. I love them both.

If I hunted with AR's (I am a bolt guy at heart), a 6ARC hunting upper would at be the top of my list to build.

Taudisio

WKR
Built one for a steel shooter/trainer for the kiddo. Ballistic advantage stainless 18” barrel. Hates the eld-x factory ammo. Only shot two boxes through it. I think it’s at 11-12 pounds so not suited for my hunting style. Hunting season came early so I haven’t been to the range since July, when I finished building it.

I have one. 18” Wilson combat barrel. Suppressed. I got it just for mess around and home protection. Im not an AR hunting guy. Not a fan of ARs compared to bolt guns.

OP
letrbuck

letrbuck

WKR
I have one. 18” Wilson combat barrel. Suppressed. I got it just for mess around and home protection. Im not an AR hunting guy. Not a fan of ARs compared to bolt guns.

I hear ya on that. I got into ARs a fair bit about 10 years ago and did a lot of coyote hunting then too. Looking into the 6 arc sparked some interest to put one together, but I'm not sure I'd like it much for a big game hunt

I hear ya on that. I got into ARs a fair bit about 10 years ago and did a lot of coyote hunting then too. Looking into the 6 arc sparked some interest to put one together, but I'm not sure I'd like it much for a big game hunt
I think it’s a cool round. I like
It better than the .223/ 5.56 for AR

Thinking about doing this for my kid as a first gun. And you know, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt with a suppressed 16” upper that I put together with a Faxon Gunner barrel. It has been sub moa for me. Shot a blacktail with it a two years ago and it performed awesome. 103gr ELDX. My 70gr Blitzking hand loads are lasers and do a number on varmints too.

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    798.8 KB · Views: 84
I have one. 18 inch BA barrel, toolcraft BCG. Shoots 105 and 108 hornadys really good. Doesn’t seem to like lower weight bullets though. My suppressor is still in jail so I can’t speak to that, but it is a LOT of fun. Definitely one of my most used rifles because of low recoil and the fact that it’s right beside a 223 on cost to reload

I have three ARCs currently: 18" PROOF-barreled gas gun upper, 20" NULA, and a 16" straight-pull AR with a BSF barrel that's sorta like the Q Mini Fix. Each works splendidly. Were I in your shoes, I'd have a custom 16-inch barrel made by X-Caliber with rifle length gas, sling 108 ELD-Ms, and punch holes through elk vitals. Ballistically, 18 inches is better, but for suppressed use, I'd go 16 all day long.

OP
letrbuck

letrbuck

WKR
I have three ARCs currently: 18" PROOF-barreled gas gun upper, 20" NULA, and a 16" straight-pull AR with a BSF barrel that's sorta like the Q Mini Fix. Each works splendidly. Were I in your shoes, I'd have a custom 16-inch barrel made by X-Caliber with rifle length gas, sling 108 ELD-Ms, and punch holes through elk vitals. Ballistically, 18 inches is better, but for suppressed use, I'd go 16 all day long.

I've heard pretty mixed results from X-Caliber. Do you think they are the way to go over a Faxon or Satern?

Anyone ever used a barrel from sixfive outfitters/REXUS?

I can't say. I've had good barrels from X-Caliber, Faxon, and Satern. The custom options from X-Caliber are hard to beat. Elk are big targets, so any of the makers will likely work.

I've had a Faxon 16" 6mm ARC that was fairly accurate, upgraded to a proof steel barrel and miss the lightweight faxon barrel.

What kind of weights are you guys seeing on finished builds? Hard to find actual weights on some of the complete uppers that are out there that aren’t the real top end of the market

It’s all the same components as a .223 AR with a slightly bigger hole down the barrel so you’ll get the same weight. Here’s what I got in an 8.6lb 6mm ARC:
- Luth-AR upper & BC & charging handle
- Faxon bolt
- Faxon 20” fluted barrel
- Faxon CF handguard
- DPMS lower with JP trigger
- Luth AR MBA buttstock & chubby grip
- thread protector
- SWFA 6x
- Leupold Mark IMS mount

It’s all the same components as a .223 AR with a slightly bigger hole down the barrel so you’ll get the same weight. Here’s what I got in an 8.6lb 6mm ARC:
- Luth-AR upper & BC & charging handle
- Faxon bolt
- Faxon 20” fluted barrel
- Faxon CF handguard
- DPMS lower with JP trigger
- Luth AR MBA buttstock & chubby grip
- thread protector
- SWFA 6x
- Leupold Mark IMS mount

Thanks I appreciate that!

seand

Lil-Rokslider
If you've got one:
What's your $.02 on one in an AR?
Do you hunt with it?
Shoot it suppressed?
What make and length barrel are you using?
It’s been great in an AR. The cartridge really needs an optimum burn rate temp I sensative powder to come to market, that’s my only complaint. I use 8208xbr/108eldms at 2400 out of an 18” barrel. It’s more accurate than I expected. I built it for my kids first hunt and she shot a lot at 600yds and it’s pretty impressive. And very low recoil. Nice for a kid to see her first buck drop through the scope.

Yes

Yes, it’s way quieter than my other suppressed AR with a sandman k. Running an adjustable gas block and TBAC UL7 30 cal can.

Wilson Combat tactical hunter. I can’t complain about the accuracy, but it’s fairly heavy and a longer gas system would be an improvement.

IMG_2464.jpeg

My son killed this 8pt on opening day of rifle season last year using a newly built 6mm ARC using factory Hornady 108gr. ELD-M.
Shot was 320yds, bullet entered behind shoulder and you can see the exit in pic. buck ran 10-15 yds

Rifle shoots under a 1" @200yds, velocity avg is 2,571 fps.

I killed this 8pt @ 277 yds opening weekend this year. Deer dropped at the shot, broke both shoulders found the bullet just under the hide of opposite shoulder.

IMG_3354.jpg