6mm cartridges

Axlrod

WKR
I have had this exact idea lately. Would likely get a barrel for a tikka, Wonder if 243ai is worth the hassle over 6cm.
I currently have one of each. I love the 243AI, but with good brass available and quite a bit cheaper dies, I would go with the 6 Creed. I had my first 243 AI built before the Creed's came along.

If new tikka 243s come in an 8 twist I think I'd rather just set it back enough to re-chamber in 6 creedmoor than go 243AI.

If new tikka 243s come in an 8 twist I think I'd rather just set it back enough to re-chamber in 6 creedmoor than go 243AI.
Then why wait for the 8” twist version? You can’t ream a 243 into a 6 cm so you’ll need a new barrel anyways

Also anyone out there with a fast twist 243 have good luck handloading for long/heavy bullets?

Last edited:
Then why wait for the 8” twist version? You can’t ream a 243 into a 6 cm so you’ll need a new barrel anyways

Also anyone out there with a fast twist 243 have good luck handloading for heavier bullets?

I get that 243 is a longer case but why couldn't you set the barrel back enough to chamber in 6 creedmoor?

I do tend to agree that if i'm paying for a chambering I'd probably just start fresh with a new tube but not everyone is that anal and many would be happy with the factory tikka barrel.

OP
H
I get that 243 is a longer case but why couldn't you set the barrel back enough to chamber in 6 creedmoor?

I do tend to agree that if i'm paying for a chambering I'd probably just start fresh with a new tube but not everyone is that anal and many would be happy with the factory tikka barrel.

I've had a smith tell me he didn't think there's enough meat in the factory Tikka barrels to set them back in most cases. This was for a 308w factory barrel.

OP
H
Yes it looks like 6cm may be it.

@VernAK , I'll take care of that Fieldcraft in 6cm for you if you're not liking it so much.

I've had a smith tell me he didn't think there's enough meat in the factory Tikka barrels to set them back in most cases. This was for a 308w factory barrel.

Probably depends on how far you're setting it back, how long of a throat you're looking for, what chambering, existing throat erosion, etc? Do they use the same profile on all t3x lite contours? would be hard to understand why you couldn't set it back at least a little if they chamber 300wm on the same contour.

eoperator

WKR
My 6cm is the most forgiving rifle I have owned. It shoots with any powder varget to n565 any bullet 90g eldx to 108g eldm

Jimbee

WKR
Probably depends on how far you're setting it back, how long of a throat you're looking for, what chambering, existing throat erosion, etc? Do they use the same profile on all t3x lite contours? would be hard to understand why you couldn't set it back at least a little if they chamber 300wm on the same contour.
I'd be interested in doing this. If you get a definitive answer, I'd like to hear it.