7 PRC Velocities / FACTORY Ammo

Wanted to start a thread on velocities with factory ammo only. It appears that this cartridge is suppose to maintain velocity even with shorter barrels so I thought for those of us eager to drop below the 24" mark it would be good to see what you could expect. Please list barrel manuf, twist, rifling, length and ammo.

Bartlein #3, 5R, 1-8 twist @ 22"
175 ELDX
I am about 20 rounds fired and at the following. 2873 avg, 11 SD, 23 ES.....

I'd really like to stay on topic and keep this about data as much as possible.

Last edited:
Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT factory 22" Barrel 1-8" twist:

180 ELD-M - Average - 2860 FPS (~20 rounds)
175 ELD-X - Average - 2890 (~20 rounds)
160 CX - Average - 2875 FPS (~10 rounds)

Round count is around 50 - I can count my brass later and get an exact #.

Rambler

FNG
Wanted to start a thread on velocities with factory ammo only. It appears that this cartridge is suppose to maintain velocity even with shorter barrels so I thought for those of us eager to drop below the 24" mark it would be good to see what you could expect. Please list barrel manuf, twist, rifling, length and ammo.

Bartlein #3, 5R, 1-8 twist @ 22"
175 ELDX
I am about 20 rounds fired and at the following. 2873 avg, 11 SD, 23 ES.....
This cartridge is no different than any other cartridge , it does not “maintain velocity”. It simply looses velocities in shorter barrels just like everything else based on powder burn rates used and expansion ratios.

OP
Airohunter
This cartridge is no different than any other cartridge , it does not “maintain velocity”. It simply looses velocities in shorter barrels just like everything else based on powder burn rates used and expansion
Different cartridges loose velocities at different rates, undeniable fact.

Bluefish

WKR
Agreed.. What makes the 7PRC special again?
Faster twist and shorter case, just like all the other Hornady cartridges. Nothing that can’t be done with a custom barrel for lots of existing cartridges.

22” carbon six
175 ELD-X @ 2908
How many.ybrounds down the barrel? I had a few in the 2900s but not super stable velocity yet... It's calming down but I suspect I need another 50-75 down the tube.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
These numbers are making me feel real good about my choice to hang with the WSM…except for brass!

Glad they are working out for you all.

Agreed.. What makes the 7PRC special again?

180 ELD-M - Average - 2860 FPS
175 ELD-X - Average - 2890 FPS

180 and 175 7mm out of a 22" factory 8 twist rifle with factory ammo. That is what makes it different. No cartridge is special but this one is going to get me out of the need to reload to get the bullet I want to the velocity I want.

Tahoe1305

WKR

180 and 175 7mm out of a 22" factory 8 twist rifle with factory ammo. That is what makes it different. No cartridge is special but this one is going to get me out of the need to reload to get the bullet I want to the velocity I want.
I’ll give it that!

Seems like most of these numbers are from barrels that likely haven't fully sped up yet. Will be interesting to see how this evolves over time.
Agreed - ELD-X was starting to flirt with low 2900s at the end of the session... I'm curious to get a couple hundred rounds through and see how it speeds up.

Agreed - I enjoy reloading... but at times it's a chore and quality factory ammo is nice. These high BC 7mm bullets really carry their energy and speed out to distance and have been impressive to me.

Those ELD-M's are 23 MOA to 1k, still moving at almost 1900 FPS, and still have well over 1400 ft-lbs. at 1k. Pretty cool for a factory load IMO.

For reference, my fairly hot loaded 30-06 with accubonds (granted not a long range bullet, but it's my context and what I have shot for years) are almost 31 MOA at 1400 FPS and only have 800 ft-lbs. left at 1k.

At 100 yards, the factory 7 PRC ammo has 3030 ft-lbs, and my warm 30-06 handloads have 2775 ft-lbs. + the 7 carries it better... so if you decide 2k FPS is your impact number, or 1500 ft-lbs etc - the 7 carries that # over 350 yards further out (again, my context).

Again, apples to oranges, but this is pretty impressive performance to me and the change has been good for ME so far... not everyone has the need and there's lots of handloaded cool 7mm options, but this is turn key/factory. Performance only goes up when you handload - but I don't feel the need to handload this round yet.

Last edited:

hwy1strat

WKR
Agreed - I enjoy reloading... but at times it's a chore and quality factory ammo is nice. These high BC 7mm bullets really carry their energy and speed out to distance and have been impressive to me.

Those ELD-M's are 23 MOA to 1k, still moving at almost 1900 FPS, and still have well over 1400 ft-lbs. at 1k. Pretty cool for a factory load IMO.

For reference, my fairly hot loaded 30-06 with accubonds (granted not a long range bullet, but it's my context and what I have shot for years) are almost 31 MOA at 1400 FPS and only have 800 ft-lbs. left at 1k.

At 100 yards, the factory 7 PRC ammo has 3030 ft-lbs, and my warm 30-06 handloads have 2775 ft-lbs. + the 7 carries it better... so if you decide 2k FPS is your impact number, or 1500 ft-lbs etc - the 7 carries that # over 350 yards further out (again, my context).

Again, apples to oranges, but this is pretty impressive performance to me and the change has been good for ME so far... not everyone has the need and there's lots of handloaded cool 7mm options, but this is turn key/factory. Performance only goes up when you handload - but I don't feel the need to handload this round yet.
Not to mention I think it recoils less so it's more enjoyable to shoot than my 30-06!