7 SAW

Anyone shoot one of these?

When I was 15 my folks put a hundo down on a M70 308. I busted my butt working to pay it off and buy a Loopy scope for it. So the gun has a lot of sentimental value.
But the trigger and stock are trash. And I'm kinda over the 308. It's obviously a great round. Not debating that but I think that case size is better for smaller cal bullets. Figured I'd atleast replace the stock and trigger. But I want to suppress it too. So might as well rebarrel it.
So thinking about building something off the action. Large rifle primers are hard to find. But small rifles are super easy to find. I was looking at getting a 7-08 tube then discovered the 7 SAW. Then my buddy said he's built a few. Palma 308 brass and small primers. And it's supposed to push the heavier 7 pills really well.
Kind of thinking about doing a 20" carbon barrel and with a can. Something for elk and deer.

Probably won't be a cheap project. But hate just having this rifle sitting around not getting shot.

ID_Matt

WKR
West Texas Ordinance has a ton of good info for the round on their website. Estimated velocity with different barrel lengths and bullet weights. Alpha makes brass, if you can get your hands on it. I shot with one of the Alpha employees and he loved the round. My only hang up has been the 162 hornady bullets don't have much better of a BC than the 140 6.5 bullets so it might not have a huge ballistic advantage over a standard creed.

TaperPin

WKR
At first glance the old geezers would say that’s nothing more than a 7mm-08 with tighter chamber dimensions, but I like what West Texas Ordinance has done to market it. It does simplify the traditional somewhat confusing custom chamber process.

Should be a great rifle.

Kerbs

FNG
I went down this rabbit hole and almost built one last year. I still find it a really intriguing round. If you reach out to WTO, they are real helpful in giving info on what they are seeing for velocities with different barrel lenghts/bullets/powders. I'm a huge fan of the 7mm-08 and this is a bigger improvement than an AI case to it.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running a 24” 7 SAW for about a year. I’ve been very happy with it so far. I was planning on a 20” or 22”, but ended up snagging a 24” Bartlein CF for cheap off the hide. I’m slinging 162 ELD-Ms at 2850 fps with H4350 in Alpha brass. As others have said, WTO has quite a bit of info on their site. If you have any questions, they’re happy to answer them. Clayton and his crew are great guys.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'll second Clayton and his crew being great guys.
I have a 22 LRV and love it.
I would not hesitate to build a WTO wildcat again.

Nicodez

FNG
8e9b54d08318928b5e093d087551df65.jpg

Just got my bottom metal for my 7 Saw build. Still needing cerakote. 22” barrel spun up by Taylor at Stratton Custom Rifles. Still waiting for backordered Alpha brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
I went down this rabbit hole and almost built one last year. I still find it a really intriguing round. If you reach out to WTO, they are real helpful in giving info on what they are seeing for velocities with different barrel lenghts/bullets/powders. I'm a huge fan of the 7mm-08 and this is a bigger improvement than an AI case to it.

Depends on the goal. AI case has more capacity, SAW doesn’t require fireforming (can either buy or just resize 7-08 or 308 brass)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
TradLife406
Thanks guys!
It'd make more sense to just do another creed but that'd be boring. But I definitely need to have a few good guns for all my babies to shoot as they get older.
I really love medium power short action rounds. Easy to shoot for the whole family.

wyosam

WKR
Thanks guys!
It'd make more sense to just do another creed but that'd be boring. But I definitely need to have a few good guns for all my babies to shoot as they get older.
I really love medium power short action rounds. Easy to shoot for the whole family.

Yeah, I use that one, too. I don’t have many rifles- it’s just for the kids as they grow. I recently built a model 7 Remington in 257 Robert’s AI for daughter (she’s 2). In really enjoying that one, she’s going to need a barrel by the time she’s ready for it. It’s important to have both a youth stock and one that fits you for each platform, just for load development of course.

Thanks guys!

6 or 25 SAW. :cool:

6saw sounds fun! What you think, another 50-75fps top end over a creed? In between 6cm and 243ai?

Honestly didn't know much about them but after reading more i'm less interested ha! That sounds about right though. Would be more trouble than it's worth vs just going 6 or 25 creed IMO.

khuber84

WKR
Honestly didn't know much about them but after reading more i'm less interested ha! That sounds about right though. Would be more trouble than it's worth vs just going 6 or 25 creed IMO.
Agreed, 6 creed works very well! Really like mine for a hunting round.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
6saw sounds fun! What you think, another 50-75fps top end over a creed? In between 6cm and 243ai?

I’ve discussed a 6 SAW with Clayton before. They haven’t messed with a 6mm version, as it would be REALLY similar to a 6mm SLR. They do have reamers and chamber quite a few 25 SAWs.

TexasTB

FNG
Clayton at WTO does great work. I’ve enjoyed my 7mm SAW that he made for me. Great cartridge for banging steel or shooting Aoudad, AXis or Whitetails. Looking forward to using it on Elk and Mule Deer in MT in 2024.

cgavason

FNG
How does the recoil compare to a 308 or 7mm08?