7mm prc, how short is too short?

WKR

WKR
I'm having a rifle built and the barrel length options were either a 19.5" or a 23" finished length. I went with the 19.5" as im planning on putting a 7" can on the end of it. And while I will shoot over 600 on paper and steel ill not go past 600 on game.

Am I going to short or is it nothing to worry about?

TxLite

WKR
I think you’re fine. I went with an 18” and expect to hit 1800 fps (which is considered minimum velocity for expansion for the bullets I plan to use) out around 800 yards with various bullets at the altitudes I plan to hunt at.

deadwolf

WKR
I have a 7saum and chose 22” with a TBAC ultra 7. For my needs I wouldn’t go shorter. Sending 180 Berger’s at 2800fps

I won’t try to talk you out of the 19.5”, but as you know there’s a cost to doing it.

I’d rather hit ‘em slow than miss ‘em fast : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I have a 7saum and chose 22” with a TBAC ultra 7. For my needs I wouldn’t go shorter. Sending 180 Berger’s at 2800fps

I won’t try to talk you out of the 19.5”, but as you know there’s a cost to doing it.

I’d rather hit ‘em slow than miss ‘em fast : )

What made you choose the ultra 7 over some of the others?

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I should mention ill be using hornady ph 175 eldx as a factory option, and will develop a handload with barnes lrx 168's and hopefully be able to push them to 2900 fps at the muzzle...we'll see if thats doable with a 19.5"

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I think you’re fine. I went with an 18” and expect to hit 1800 fps (which is considered minimum velocity for expansion for the bullets I plan to use) out around 800 yards with various bullets at the altitudes I plan to hunt at.
Expected or verified??

TxLite

WKR
Expected or verified??
I am getting 2775ish at the muzzle currently with the 175 ph factory ammo. Haven’t had a chance to finish load development yet with the 180 hybrids.

This chart is assuming 500ft elevation where I hunt in Texas. Obviously as you get higher in elevation your bullet will hold velocity further out.

E72CC09B-28D1-4623-8FB2-2E257ABC34DB.png

Reactions: WKR

deadwolf

WKR
What made you choose the ultra 7 over some of the others?

I knew very little of suppressors at the time of purchase, but had taken a a couple long range classes and it was highly recommended by multiple shooters. They’re light, have a good reputation, and I’ve been very happy with it. There are more out there than you can shake a stick at, so reputation carried a lot of weight. I also like that I can send it back anytime to be cleaned for free.

My advice would be direct thread as well, after a handful of years now using cans I think it’s the best way to go for precision shooting.

deadwolf

WKR
I should mention ill be using hornady ph 175 eldx as a factory option, and will develop a handload with barnes lrx 168's and hopefully be able to push them to 2900 fps at the muzzle...we'll see if thats doable with a 19.5"

2900 and 19.5” is gonna be near impossible.
Unless you like burning up barrels ; )

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I am getting 2775ish at the muzzle currently with the 175 ph factory ammo. Haven’t had a chance to finish load development yet with the 180 hybrids.

This chart is assuming 500ft elevation where I hunt in Texas. Obviously as you get higher in elevation your bullet will hold velocity further out.

View attachment 564055
Thats pretty good with an 18", and I'm assuming you haven't fully seasoned the barrel yet and you will pick up some velocity as you go.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
2900 and 19.5” is gonna be near impossible.
Unless you like burning up barrels ; )

You think so? I dont have quickloads so I can't run the numbers and see if that would be way over pressure with a 168 grain.

As far as the suppressor im definitely going direct thread. And its between the ultra 7 or a nomad lti

deadwolf

WKR
You think so? I dont have quickloads so I can't run the numbers and see if that would be way over pressure with a 168 grain.

As far as the suppressor im definitely going direct thread. And its between the ultra 7 or a nomad lti

Hard on rifles and hard on components trying to do 2900. Be happy with 2800 (maybe) and save the chamber and barrel. But, report back here and tell us how it goes for sure.

Also, run the numbers on 168 at 2900 and 175 eldx at 2800 and tell me which one you think looks better.

*But, if you’re in Cali you have to shoot all copper right?

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Hard on rifles and hard on components trying to do 2900. Be happy with 2800 (maybe) and save the chamber and barrel. But, report back here and tell us how it goes for sure.

Will do...I'm not going to push it just to reach a certain number. I'll let the rifle tell me what it likes.

Cool thing is its a two part system. So if I burn the barrel or throat out I still keep the chamber and just spin the new barrel on. Atleast thats my understanding of it. Its the ACE system developed by wolf precision.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR

Also, run the numbers on 168 at 2900 and 175 eldx at 2800 and tell me which one you think looks better.

*But, if you’re in Cali you have to shoot all copper right?

Not much longer, moving to a free state in a few months.

Before you commit to direct thread, do a little more research. If you're interested in a TBAC, call them and ask them point blank about CB vs direct thread.

Every single direct thread muffler I've been around comes loose after a handfull of rounds or bouncing around in a vehicle. All my CB mounted stuff has never came loose on me.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Agree with possible quickness on the barrel wear. But I think you will be able to get there.

I’m just shy of that with a WSM and 20” barrel. From reports and reloading data appears the PRC is 3gr hotter with most powders. So I think it’s a reasonable goal.