8x for archery elk

Looking at getting some 8x binos for archery elk. I want something smaller, lighter and easier to handle than my Geovids. I don't feel I need the best optic quality for this application as I wont be sitting and glassing. More concerned with weight and FOV. So, what's the best bang for the buck in an 8x for this application?

I've been very happy with these. Previously, I had Minox, Meostar, Nikon HG. I liked them all but this has been a sweet spot in size/price, and they jive with my eyes.

The maven b3 would be a good choice. Physically very small, they are light, and optically good. I’ve used them for night hunting pigs and they’ve been my go to for still hunting deer. they’re plenty bright for timber elk. Maven has a good demo program or if you want to check my pair out cover shipping and I can let you try ‘em out.

The mavens were bright enough for me for everything I did. Ironic that wnelson posted that, I use Zulu6 10s for most things now, definitely not as bright as the mavens but the stabilization is so functional.

The maven b3 would be a good choice. Physically very small, they are light, and optically good. I’ve used them for night hunting pigs and they’ve been my go to for still hunting deer. they’re plenty bright for timber elk. Maven has a good demo program or if you want to check my pair out cover shipping and I can let you try ‘em out.
Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind.

I use a set of Opticron 8x32 Traveller BGA ED Binoculars. They weigh 16 ozs so I can hold them steady with one hand. I have compared these to Zeiss 8x32 Conquests over the course of a few months in all conditions. Some say the 8x32 Conquests are the best do all bino there is prior to the SFL. Brightness and sharpness to me are identical but the zeiss does have a slightly larger sweet spot, but for $300 cheaper I think the Opticron is a steal.

I’d be looking at the Zeiss 8x40 SFL, Redhawk has a demo set for a pretty good price, or used 8x SLCs
lots of horror stories on Zeiss warranty service. Pro deals on Zeiss make them an attractive buy though. I see the Conquest HDs for $640.

I haven't researched binos in a while. What's the word on the Trinovids? How do the Ultravid HD Plus compare to the SFL?

I assume then that the 30's class objective is bright enough in low light in the timber?
Depends, if you are trying to glass critters up right at last shooting light, you are giving up some performance

I have a set of 8x30 slc that I got for archery elk, but I never use them because they are a compromise

If you are mainly timber hunting, they are excellent, but when I’m not on elk and use the last half hour of light and getting on a glassing knob, I would way rather have my full size glass

I still like the idea of them for the purpose, but not enough to leave my heavier glass behind.

Within reason, optics are not a place I try to cut weight, and the little slc’s are great, but I have only used them a little in the several years I’ve had them

I've been very happy with these. Previously, I had Minox, Meostar, Nikon HG. I liked them all but this has been a sweet spot in size/price, and they jive with my eyes.

I read that these are not great for glasses wearers as they have a fairly short 15mm eye relief. Do you wear glasses?

I bought the swaro 8x30 cl gen 2 for that very purpose and could not be happier.

Not the cheapest in that category but superior optics at 17 oz and easy one hand use.

Looking at getting some 8x binos for archery elk. I want something smaller, lighter and easier to handle than my Geovids. I don't feel I need the best optic quality for this application as I wont be sitting and glassing. More concerned with weight and FOV. So, what's the best bang for the buck in an 8x for this application?
Personally, I think this is when you need the finer optics. If running 8’s (which is all I carry for archery elk) it’s usually tight timber which means dark. I’ve tried several and have found myself wanting. I carry NL Pure now and it’s perfect for the dark timber and picking apart all of the lines and hiding spots in there. The field of view is bigger than anything else I’ve seen. When I’m creeping through that stuff I want the best image and biggest picture I can get so I hopefully see them first.

Personally, I think this is when you need the finer optics. If running 8’s (which is all I carry for archery elk) it’s usually tight timber which means dark. I’ve tried several and have found myself wanting. I carry NL Pure now and it’s perfect for the dark timber and picking apart all of the lines and hiding spots in there. The field of view is bigger than anything else I’ve seen. When I’m creeping through that stuff I want the best image and biggest picture I can get so I hopefully see them first.
I'm a little too frugal for NLs. I'm sure they are nice and I probably wouldn't miss the cash but I can't justify it.

I'm a little too frugal for NLs. I'm sure they are nice and I probably wouldn't miss the cash but I can't justify it.
I get that. My comment was less of a pitch for NL and more of the best glass you can afford for your application. Even an 8x50 might be a great move gathering all the light you can.

I was lucky enough to find a pair of 8x30 Swaro CL demos for an awesome price. And couldn’t be happier with that purchase.

Back