9mm home defense

Jmort1754

WKR
With all the options on the market--

To prevent over penetration in the house what's everyone shooting ?

Currently shoot sig v crown 115 and underwood 115 +p+

jhm2023

WKR
I'm more of a suppressed rifle for house work kind of person. I also don't get wrapped up in the over penetration fear either for several reasons. That said, for 9mm pistols I keep 90gr Lehigh xtreme defense loaded for edc and the parts of the house I don't have a rifle staged in.

h2so4

WKR
I've got the Black Hills 9mm 100gr Honey Badger loaded up at the moment. It's the same bullet as the Lehigh xtreme defense. It shoots great out of my p365. I compared it to the 68gr xtreme defense from Underwood and the Black Hills performed better with respect to amount of flash and group size.

axeforce6

WKR
I’m a fan of federal hst 124 +p in my 9mm. And Remington black belts if you can find them.

It’s hard to beat a 300blk with Lehigh defense 194 maximum expansions running subsonic.

I’d you don’t have a can but have access to 300blk do some ballistic research on 110 vmax loaded pretty hot. Rapid expansion and 7-8” penetration. Amazing setup.

dgl503

FNG
I wouldn't worry so much about overpenetration as long as you stick with hollow points instead of FMJ and of course have a plan and train.

Hornady Critical Defense for short barreled handguns and Hornady Critical Duty for full size.

But I’d also choose a caliber that starts with 4 🤠

h2so4

WKR
I’m a fan of federal hst 124 +p in my 9mm. And Remington black belts if you can find them.

It’s hard to beat a 300blk with Lehigh defense 194 maximum expansions running subsonic.

I’d you don’t have a can but have access to 300blk do some ballistic research on 110 vmax loaded pretty hot. Rapid expansion and 7-8” penetration. Amazing setup.
I've not been able to find remington black belts in forever. Do you have know of any sources?

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
124 or 147 grain HST is what I have loaded up.

Going to play around with a Barnes TAC-XP 115 grain loaded with N320 to 1050-1075 fps for use with a can. That bullet has been tested quite a bit in gel and seems to perform quite well. It's one of the few off-the-shelf hollow point options that doesn't need to be pushed too fast to perform.

124 HST or 135 critical duty are what’s in my guns. If time and choice were given to me, I’d grab my AR over any pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
Hornady Critical Defense for short barreled handguns and Hornady Critical Duty for full size.

But I’d also choose a caliber that starts with 4 🤠
Why? Is it the marginally greater expanded diameter? The increased recoil? The higher cost for training ammo? The lower capacity for a given size?

For the OP: something shown to achieve at least 12" of penetration in calibrated gel with expansion when passing through a variety of barriers, that you can get in enough quantity to verify function in your gun. Lots of options out there.

Why? Is it the marginally greater expanded diameter? The increased recoil? The higher cost for training ammo? The lower capacity for a given size?

For the OP: something shown to achieve at least 12" of penetration in calibrated gel with expansion when passing through a variety of barriers, that you can get in enough quantity to verify function in your gun. Lots of options out there.
I am not a fan of 9mm though I realize many people are.

I can remember when I was young a lot of police departments downgraded from .357 mag revolvers and .45 acp semi’s to 9mm semi’s based on the beliefs that the lower recoil and higher capacity would make up for the reduced power.

Then when the real life performance against real world threats with 9mm was found to be unsatisfactory too many times, the .40 S&W became the trendy caliber.

Now the trend is to go back to down to 9mm based on the claim bullet technology has improved.

Well, the new higher tech bullets are even bigger and better when fired from from a .45 or 10mm, etc.

If you like low recoil and low cost ammo, a .22lr would arguably be fine for close range self defense with high capacity and the ability to put a lot of shots on target quickly.

But I bet you wouldn’t recommend a 22lr for self defense, right?

Even though in most cases quickly double or triple tapping someone with a .22lr would stop the fight quickly, there will sometimes be that marginal case where a bigger bullet would incapacitate whereas the smaller one wouldn’t.

The same rationale is why I’d like a bigger bullet, especially in a home defense gun where I don’t mind the gun being bigger and heavier than a typical CCW.

A 9mm will usually work fine, but why not get something a little better?

if you search bulk ammo prices online you can find some great deals on ammo.

For example, Right now Buds Gun Shop has 200 grain CCI 10mm for only 0.33 per round:

I run a Glock 19 with a red dot and tricked as well as a P365 with night sights. Both are in my pistol safe next to my bed. Either would make someone pay as they are both well practiced carry guns. Glock would win out as it carries a light.

I have kids in a single level house, so over penetration is a no go. I like my neighbors too, so I’m not looking to sling any their way either.

MattB

WKR
I am not a fan of 9mm though I realize many people are.

I can remember when I was young a lot of police departments downgraded from .357 mag revolvers and .45 acp semi’s to 9mm semi’s based on the beliefs that the lower recoil and higher capacity would make up for the reduced power.

Then when the real life performance against real world threats with 9mm was found to be unsatisfactory too many times, the .40 S&W became the trendy caliber.

Now the trend is to go back to down to 9mm based on the claim bullet technology has improved.

Well, the new higher tech bullets are even bigger and better when fired from from a .45 or 10mm, etc.

If you like low recoil and low cost ammo, a .22lr would arguably be fine for close range self defense with high capacity and the ability to put a lot of shots on target quickly.

But I bet you wouldn’t recommend a 22lr for self defense, right?

Even though in most cases quickly double or triple tapping someone with a .22lr would stop the fight quickly, there will sometimes be that marginal case where a bigger bullet would incapacitate whereas the smaller one wouldn’t.

The same rationale is why I’d like a bigger bullet, especially in a home defense gun where I don’t mind the gun being bigger and heavier than a typical CCW.

A 9mm will usually work fine, but why not get something a little better?

if you search bulk ammo prices online you can find some great deals on ammo.

For example, Right now Buds Gun Shop has 200 grain CCI 10mm for only 0.33 per round:

Why would you settle for a 10MM when you could “get something a little better?”

Beendare

WKR
I can understand some LEOs that can shoot a larger caliber being skeptical of a light caliber As they run into all kinds of weird scenarios.

I remember a kid in HS hopped up on PCP at a dance and it took 6 of us big guys to somewhat restrain him. Skinny guy but it was like he had super human strength- I couldn’t help but think a little of that would have been nice before a wrestling match- (kidding)

That dude could’ve taken a bullet and kept on ticking.

I use a dog….and 9mm G19 or 17, 147g HST with a rechargeable Olight.

Last edited: