Accidentally applied for a cow hunt in Arizona...What are my options?

So, my second choice in Arizona ended up being a cow hunt because like an idiot, I just selected my desired bull hunt unit-dates in the drop down box assuming it was a bull hunt rather than referring to the season guide. Looking at GoHunt, my odds of drawing this tag will be ~25%. I did not purchase point guard. If I draw, there goes 4 years of points. Oops. I went back a few times to the portal to look for my application and it never showed. Of course, after the draw deadline, it starts showing!

Right now, I can only think of two options.

1.) Hope I don't draw. If I do, go on the cow hunt and accept losing my points. At least I'll start back with 1 thanks to the new loyalty point.
2.) Change my credit card info so it bounces and keep my 4 points. And have to wait another 5 years to get that loyalty point.

Are there any more options? I usually overanalyze everything, can't believe I did this! Hard lesson to learn.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
So, my second choice in Arizona ended up being a cow hunt because like an idiot, I just selected my desired bull hunt unit-dates in the drop down box assuming it was a bull hunt rather than referring to the season guide. Looking at GoHunt, my odds of drawing this tag will be ~25%. I did not purchase point guard. If I draw, there goes 4 years of points. Oops. I went back a few times to the portal to look for my application and it never showed. Of course, after the draw deadline, it starts showing!

Right now, I can only think of two options.

1.) Hope I don't draw. If I do, go on the cow hunt and accept losing my points. At least I'll start back with 1 thanks to the new loyalty point.
2.) Change my credit card info so it bounces and keep my 4 points. And have to wait another 5 years to get that loyalty point.

Are there any more options? I usually overanalyze everything, can't believe I did this! Hard lesson to learn.
Resident or NR? With only 4 points im sure you have a LONG time before drawing any quality bull hunt. If you are talking about a September archery cow tag you will still be out there listening to bulls screaming everywhere and in the elk every day. I'd go hunt 100%

OP
D
Resident or NR? With only 4 points im sure you have a LONG time before drawing any quality bull hunt. If you are talking about a September archery cow tag you will still be out there listening to bulls screaming everywhere and in the elk every day. I'd go hunt 100%
NR. I meant to apply for 5BS archery bull (Sept.) but apparently chose antlerless. I know i'm in it for the long haul but a 5 year setback would suck. (4 points + losing the loyalty point).

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
NR. I meant to apply for 5BS archery bull (Sept.) but apparently chose antlerless. I know i'm in it for the long haul but a 5 year setback would suck. (4 points + losing the loyalty point).
I'm a resident. I haven't hunted that unit but a September elk hunt in AZ is an experience you will never forget.
I'd hunt just like you were bull hunting. We have had plenty of cow encounters ambushing trails and calling. You are gonna get to see the same elk and have the exact same hunt just minus the possibility of antlers on the wall.
Depends on your priorities.
Me, I'd go just to be out in some of the best elk country in the world during September.

Wheels

WKR
If you want big screaming bulls in your face daily, carry a cow tag. You might find out that killing a cow isn't as easy as you think. Should be a fun hunt regardless.

You still have a 75% chance of not drawing. If you do, Did you already take the hunters Ed course? If not do it and that will be a point, in another year I assume you’ll get a loyalty point plus normal point if your four current have been consecutive. So in two years you’ll be back to 3. I would let it ride.

Im not sure if your CC is declined if you get to keep your points or not. Be a good end around if that would work to keep your points. Im always afraid I will do that with 20 points on the line so i just do pointgaurd

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty sure if you draw and your card is declined, your points go to zero

Ehiggins

WKR
Does anyone else’s Bonus Points on AZGFD currently show “aww no bonus points for you” even if you have some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else’s Bonus Points on AZGFD currently show “aww no bonus points for you” even if you have some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not uncommon to see that from the time the draw closes and up to the time results are posted.

OP
D
I'm pretty sure if you draw and your card is declined, your points go to zero
Thankfully that is not the case!

Called AZGF and rep was EXTREMELLY helpful. If card is declined AFTER the app has been accepted and paid for, the system just skips over your app and keeps rolling to the next person. You still earn a bonus point as well since the application was in fact accepted and paid for.

Whew!

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
Thankfully that is not the case!

Called AZGF and rep was EXTREMELLY helpful. If card is declined AFTER the app has been accepted and paid for, the system just skips over your app and keeps rolling to the next person. You still earn a bonus point as well since the application was in fact accepted and paid for.

Whew!
That's good to know, I wasn't sure.

OP
D
I thought you can go back in and buy point guard up until the “update CC deadline date” at the end of February
You can. I tried and it wasn't letting me, but come to find out I wasn't using the same department ID as I did to apply. My old department ID (which I used to apply) was my social. A new department ID was showing up on my 2021 license and I had tried to buy point guard using it but it was saying 'application not found'.

I also learned more good news from the AZGF agent. There are some improvements coming to the portal and application process in the future. I was told the ability to modify applications is planned.

dmc

FNG
I did this same thing 2 years ago and actually just cancelled my credit card. Didn't realize I could have bought point guard after the draw....

OP
D
I did this same thing 2 years ago and actually just cancelled my credit card. Didn't realize I could have bought point guard after the draw....
I knew I couldn't be the only one!

I swear that antlerless code was very close to a lot of bull codes in that dropdown box. A simple and easy fix would be to put "bull" or "antlerless" next to the hunt code like other states do.

Not making excuses though, I take full responsibility for not double checking the codes with the reg book!