Adding hip vents to pants

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I recently added some hip vents to my Prana Zions and they came out pretty well so I thought I'd share since I see many people talk about adding them to Sitka pants. There are a few comments floating around the site about this, but I didn't see a specific thread in the DIY Gear Modifications forum.
  1. Start by measuring how long the zipper will be. In my case I went from a seam at the hip down to the top of a cargo pocket on the opposite pant leg from these pictures.
  2. Put pins in at the top and bottom to mark your start and end.
    1. 1652976279287.jpeg
  3. Use a seam ripper to rip out the seam between your pins. Be careful not to rip/cut the fabric. Clean out as much thread as possible.
    1. 1652976343263.jpeg
  4. Since the seam was overlapping, I made four small (¼”) cuts, one at each end of the flaps, to fold in and make a rectangular opening for the zipper to sit in.
    1. 1652976399045.jpeg1652976382941.jpeg
  5. Cut your length of zipper to be about 2” longer than your final length so it is easier to work with.
    1. 1652976367006.jpeg
  6. Separate the zipper a couple inches, but don’t open it completely, and insert your slider such that it closes the open end and is in the middle with the entire zipper closed.
    1. A trick for this can be separating the entire length of zipper and offsetting one side to be ~½” taller than the other. This helps me insert the zipper a little easier. You’ll need to zip the entire length together, zip the slider off the end, and do the above step, just with offset pieces now.
  7. Lay your zipper inside the open seam and position it so that you have roughly equal tags extending above and below the opening. Maneuver the flaps you cut to lay on the zipper outside the teeth.
  8. The back side of the pant (In the below picture, the left side) is a little easier to fold over and begin pinning the pant material to the zipper. I didn’t aim for any specific distance, just got it to where I thought looked good.
    1. 1652976459894.jpeg
  9. The front side of the pant (with the pocket) is a little harder to fold over due to the extra material. This took quite a bit of finangling and is an area I would like to improve.
  10. Once everything is pinned, start sewing. I started at the top and stitched across the zipper to lock it in place. As long as your zipper teeth are plastic, you can go straight over them, just take it slow. I backstitched across the entire width of the zipper before continuing.
    1. 1652976504486.jpeg
  11. Make sure your needle is in the down position, lift your presser foot, and rotate your pants 90 degrees so you can sew down the length of the zipper.
  12. I took a small (2” long) piece of grosgrain ribbon and stitched it in at the top of the zipper to make a little loop that my slider will sit under when the zipper is closed (seen in completed pictures below)
  13. Once you get about halfway down your zipper, you might run into your slider. If it is in your way, lower the needle, raise the presser foot, and move the slider behind the presser foot out of your way.
  14. Work your way down the zipper removing pins as you go. Once you get to the bottom, put your needle down, lift your presser foot, and rotate 90 degrees again to go across the bottom. Repeat to go up the length of the zipper.
  15. Trim off excess zipper coil and grosgrain inside the pant and singe with a lighter to prevent it from unraveling.
The final product was kind of messy. I had a hard time sewing straight and keeping the material folded, but the finished product is VERY functional. These were already my favorite hiking pants and now they've been elevated. I'd definitely be interested in hearing any advice or ideas before I try my next pair! If anyone has questions or wants a detailed picture of something, just let me know.

1652976560095.jpeg1652976539083.jpeg

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good show...
DId you buy any ole zipper from walmart or did you buy a nice zipper from local sewing store?

OP
nnmarcher

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good show...
DId you buy any ole zipper from walmart or did you buy a nice zipper from local sewing store?
Thanks, doc! It is a regular #3 zipper from RipstopByTheRoll, nothing fancy.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great project. I am fixing to do the same to some of my pants for this summer. Gonna do the partial zip and a full zip on a couple pairs.

To make it easier, I plan on cutting out the entire seam and sew in double fold bias tape over the raw edges, then sew in the zipper. That will eliminate a lot of the tedious folding and pinning. Everything will lay straighter and sew in easier.

Also, picking apart those seams is a huge pain in the neck and I would rather avoid it completely. I picked apart a seam to mend a pair of pants, and that is completely ridiculous, lol.

OP
nnmarcher

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Great project. I am fixing to do the same to some of my pants for this summer. Gonna do the partial zip and a full zip on a couple pairs.

To make it easier, I plan on cutting out the entire seam and sew in double fold bias tape over the raw edges, then sew in the zipper. That will eliminate a lot of the tedious folding and pinning. Everything will lay straighter and sew in easier.

Also, picking apart those seams is a huge pain in the neck and I would rather avoid it completely. I picked apart a seam to mend a pair of pants, and that is completely ridiculous, lol.

That's a great idea and sounds like it will solve my two biggest problems, tearing out that dang seam and making it easier to sew straight. Thanks for the tip, I'd be interested to see how yours turn out!

for your next trick you need to try to add some mesh fabric in the zip up area. Just like the Kuiu pants have

feanor

WKR
Those look way better than the ones I did. Thanks for sharing the process too. I’ll read through for the next one I try.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's a great idea and sounds like it will solve my two biggest problems, tearing out that dang seam and making it easier to sew straight. Thanks for the tip, I'd be interested to see how yours turn out!
Another thing you can do is cut out the seam and sew the zipper on with a zigzag stitch over the raw edge of the fabric. If it is synthetic fabric, you can cut it with a hot knife to seal the edges.

OP
nnmarcher

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
@jbs29 I would say the first side took about 45 minutes and the second side 30 minutes. The slowest part was definitely ripping out the seams followed by trying to pin the zipper in evenly. The actual sewing was really short.

SIR_34:16

FNG
That looks awesome! Thanks for sharing! I was just thinking about trying to find a tailor in my area to do this, but after seeing this I might have to give it a try.

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job, i should have sent my pants to you! I had so vents put in on the inner thy of mine and love it.

This is awesome! I've got an old pair of Kuhl pants I'm going to try this with. These ventilation areas are why I predominantly purchase Kuiu pants.

MtnMike

FNG
Fantastic Job! Thanks for the step by step instructions.

I wonder if it wouldn't be too difficult to put in the inside of the thigh? Core4Element (RIP) used to put their zippers on the inside of the thigh rather than on the outside hip like most manufactures do these days. I loved this design as I found it dumps heat waaay better than the hip design. I wonder if its a structural integrity thing and why nobody makes em like that anymore??

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I wonder if it wouldn't be too difficult to put in the inside of the thigh? Core4Element (RIP) used to put their zippers on the inside of the thigh rather than on the outside hip like most manufactures do these days. I loved this design as I found it dumps heat waaay better than the hip design. I wonder if its a structural integrity thing and why nobody makes em like that anymore??
My hips don't get quite as sweaty as my goods, lol, so I like this idea. I am gonna try it out.

OP
nnmarcher

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider

I think adding the zippers inside the thigh may be easier actually because you don't have to deal with the extra pocket fabric. The only thing I can think to check is if the inside of your thighs rub while you walk. And making sure the metal tabs of your sliders aren't clinking together while you stalk an animal!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think adding the zippers inside the thigh may be easier actually because you don't have to deal with the extra pocket fabric. The only thing I can think to check is if the inside of your thighs rub while you walk. And making sure the metal tabs of your sliders aren't clinking together while you stalk an animal!
those are my questions, chaffing. For the zipper I would use cord pulls. I was also thinking that even a zipper on one side would help a whole lot.

I have hiked with my fly open on occasion… maximum ventilation is good.