Adding hip vents to pants

I don't understand the difficulty with the seams. Does a seam ripper tool not work on this type of seam, or at that location?

Good chance the seam was sewn with a serger machine. It's not like a simple straight stitch. You could use a seam ripper but you'd want to take your time.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up! Thank you for sharing. Do you think using some basting tape would help hold the folds together while you worked? I’m going to give this a try the next time I’ve got my sewing machine out.

OP
nnmarcher

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up! Thank you for sharing. Do you think using some basting tape would help hold the folds together while you worked? I’m going to give this a try the next time I’ve got my sewing machine out.
I think basting tape would help, I picked up a roll to try on my next pair! There isn't a ton of extra fabric to work with, so you may end up needing to trim the tape to be narrow, but I think it would save a lot of the trouble with pinning I tried.

And @Dos Perros is spot on about the serger seam. The seam ripper worked, I just had to go slow.

This might be a dumb question, but how did you make these stitches without sewing through the whole pant leg? I've tried sliding the arm of the sewing machine into the leg but cannot due to excess pant material bunching up. Help!

OP
nnmarcher

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
This might be a dumb question, but how did you make these stitches without sewing through the whole pant leg? I've tried sliding the arm of the sewing machine into the leg but cannot due to excess pant material bunching up. Help!
I unzipped the fly of the pants and just had to carefully bunch the fabric around the hip area to feed it through. I was also able to remove a small "box" from the front of my singer sewing machine meant to store presser feet/accessories. This made it a little easier to sew all the way down into the leg. If this doesn't make sense I can take some pictures