Advice on 2-3 packs to test

loewmd

FNG
I'm going to be buying a pack frame in the next month. I plan on doing some elk and moose hunts over the next 10yrs and primarily deer hunt. This summer I'll be doing some hiking in national parks and will need a frame i can strap a child carrier to when my kids are tired of walking that will be more comfortable than a child carrier. I have been looking mainly at Kifaru, Exo and SG. I'd prefer to only try out 2 of the 3 due to adding up the shipping costs for returns (likely $40-50 per returned pack). Which brands would you recommend i test or should I just take the hit on return shipping and try all of them? Most threads I've read seem to like the exo bags but can these bags be put on a SG frame like they can on a kifaru when I'm ready to add a bag to the frame of my choice? I live in the midwest (IA) so trying the packs at the company headquarters is not feasible. If build makes any difference I'm 6' 195lbs and my kids weigh about 45lbs. I would like the pack to cover weights from 30lbs to 100+. Thanks for any input.

I use a Kifaru right now and I would like to try an Exo. I tried an SG and didn’t like it. So out of those 3 I suggest Kifaru and Exo.

OP
L

loewmd

FNG
Any idea if an exo bag would work on a SG frame? What did you not like about the SG?

Vandal 44

WKR
I have used the Stone Glacier X-Curve Frame and EVO bag, EXO K-3 Frame and 3600 bag, Kifaru Duplex Lite Frame & Tactical Frame with the newer 22MAG bag, along with the Kuiu Pro and 3200 bag

I have used all these bags to haul out some type of animal from elk, deer and bear (haven’t hauled a kid yet)

Kifaru Duplex Lite with 22MAG is my favorite pack. Hauls heavy loads nicely and is great for day hunts. The 22MAG is almost perfect, nice organizational, pockets (I also have the 44MAG for longer hunts) The Kifaru Bags and buckles are bomb proof

Kuiu and EXO are tied for second. These two packs haul have loads better than most but not as well as the Kifaru. Both are great for day hunts and the bags are well layed out. EXO bags I think will be more durable in the long run over the Kuiu

Stone Glacier is nice for day hunts but for hauling heavy load it was the most uncomfortable pack

Note; If you go with Kifaru spend time getting it to fit you. Getting the frame to fit is the most difficult out of all the packs, however once you find the sweet spot on fit it’s a great pack

The Kifaru Tactical Frame is over kill for me and more than likely will be up for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two Kifaru frames and they are the Duplex and the discontinued Bikini frame. The Bikini frame is more of a comfort type of feel. The Duplex to me is better for heavy hauling. I've had Mystery Ranch and it didn't fit me well. Also it was a bit heavier too. I also have a Kuiu with the newest frame and it really makes a nice pack when hauling less weight. I actually prefer it with the smaller bags as it fits well But with a load it is not the pack I would buy! I would get a Kifaru or look at Stone Glaciar or EXO. I have no experience with the latter two!

*zap*

WKR
everyone is different so I would try all 3 of those.....buy used frames and keep em for a while....it can take some time to really know what fits you best cause a small adjustment can make a world of difference.

I'd try kifaru and stone glacier frames. Long story short is I was happy with my kifaru frame til I tried the stone glacier. The sg is carrying weight more comfortably for me. everyone is different.

I started with a gen 2 kifaru duplex frame and was pretty happy with it. Upgraded to the duplex lite a couple seasons ago and overall it carries weight well for me. I recently picked up a stone glacier xcurve frame just to try. With 60# loaded up the stone glacier xcurve im finding it more comfortable for me than the kifaru frame . There are a few things I prefer about the kifaru frame though.

I should have just left well enough alone but now I need to pick one and I'm leaning toward keeping the stone glacier after putting some miles on it. I might have a kifaru frame, 5 different bags, pockets, lid for sale soon. Lol

OP
L

loewmd

FNG
Thanks guys. I'll keep my eyes on the classified as well for the next few weeks.

I have had an Exo K2 for 3 or 4 years now I think. I just bought a kifaru Duplex light with a hoodlum bag and some extras. ive done a few 50lb hikes with the kifaru now and it might edge out the exo but its so close that it might just be my kifaru bias. you cant go wrong with either. if it were me id say the real decision maker assuming both fit you good like they did for me is do you want a simple bag with few accessories or options (EXO). or do you want a very customizable bag that you can add all sorts of puches and straps to depending on the scenario(Kifaru). I don't think you would regret either at the end of the day.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got an Xcurve from SG and have been testing it hauling around 60 pounds in it and have an exo and seek outside.

If I had to pick two for comfort I would say SO, SG, Exo in that order.

I have no experience with a Kifaru. That being said, when there were competitive options and for the setup I liked from Kifaru it would have run me well over 1100 and for SG I was able to get it under 700, I opted for SG this round to test against my other packs.

OP
L

loewmd

FNG
Why not try a seek outside?
Honestly haven't really heard much about them and it seems the three I listed are what often get listed as the big 3. After doing a quick search it seems some people are really liking SO. Do they have just a frame you can start out with? On their website its confusing as to whether or not you can just start with the frame or if you need to buy the whole system.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly haven't really heard much about them and it seems the three I listed are what often get listed as the big 3. After doing a quick search it seems some people are really liking SO. Do they have just a frame you can start out with? On their website its confusing as to whether or not you can just start with the frame or if you need to buy the whole system.
If you're picking up just a bunch of frames to test first, the revolution frame will probably be your surprise winner in terms of comfort. If you are looking at the whole package you may or may not like all of their bag options. Frame only is here:

Just don't select the options you don't want (the talon) and you should be good to go.

I'm going to be buying a pack frame in the next month. I plan on doing some elk and moose hunts over the next 10yrs and primarily deer hunt. This summer I'll be doing some hiking in national parks and will need a frame i can strap a child carrier to when my kids are tired of walking that will be more comfortable than a child carrier. I have been looking mainly at Kifaru, Exo and SG. I'd prefer to only try out 2 of the 3 due to adding up the shipping costs for returns (likely $40-50 per returned pack). Which brands would you recommend i test or should I just take the hit on return shipping and try all of them? Most threads I've read seem to like the exo bags but can these bags be put on a SG frame like they can on a kifaru when I'm ready to add a bag to the frame of my choice? I live in the midwest (IA) so trying the packs at the company headquarters is not feasible. If build makes any difference I'm 6' 195lbs and my kids weigh about 45lbs. I would like the pack to cover weights from 30lbs to 100+. Thanks for any input.
i have tried a pile of packs, the only one i haven't tried that you're interested in is the SG because they don't fit my needs.... the 2 "keepers" are my EXO K2 and Kifaru duplex lite. i am fairly new to kifaru, but it didn't take long to realize why they are so popular..... it's my favorite pack.

i personally like the kifaru bags fine, for a day pack, the stryker xl is flippin' awesome. i also have the reckoning, which i like as well when more volume is needed.

pack fit is very personal, so trying all 3 would be ideal. i know many like the SG setup, so it's hard to rule out if you are ok with a 26" frame. the Kifaru and EXO are both top shelf, one will fit you better than the other, but i wouldn't say either is "better"

EXO does a great job of riding that perfect line of lightweight and durability, and in hunting mode, it truly is hard to beat the comfort of their frame. Kifaru has a lot more modularity, it feels like it gets really solid with a heavy load.... it sucks up to your body and turns into the most stable feeling pack with a lot of weight.... EXO is good in that regard too, but the Kifaru is just a step up there.

they both handle heavy loads very well on my back..... if i was climbing through blowdown with 100# in my pack, i would prefer the kifaru, but the EXO does great with heavy loads too.

it's a toss up to me between those 2, and those 2 are the clear stand alones to me.... i wouldn't want to have to pick between the 2, but if i had to, i would keep the kifaru.