Advice on first purchase of higher end clothing

way_south

FNG
I need some advice with black Friday rolling around. I currently hunt regions in South LA, MS, and AL regularly, I am planning a hunt to IL next November and ID in 2020 for Elk. I hunt deer, duck, turkey, quail at home.

I have never owned higher end hunting clothes. Right now, I have a set of Academy specials bibs and coat to wear when weather is cold deer hunting, but they don’t do water very well and I still can get cold sitting in a tree or box stand. I have a lighter set that is Cabala’s Rain Suede for warmer weather, still not great for rain and not great for chasing turkey where I walk a lot and can’t vent. Spring is really humid here.

I have been looking at higher end stuff to be more comfortable, but there is just so much out there that it’s overly confusing to me. I don’t do much stalking for deer, it’s just sit and wait, so I need something that will keep me warm in the south which is a pretty good range in temps every season (30s-70s). I run and gun for turkey, so I want lighter and easy venting to cool off and water resistant. Ducks I wear waders, so whatever I get will need to go under and use as a jacket or layers if it is cold, probably the easiest to deal with for me.

I had planned on buying the SKRE white tail bundle to keep costs reasonable over other brands and maybe adding rain gear too. I have never worn merino wool, when it’s cold I usually wear everything I have and look like the stay puff marshmallow man. I think I have read every review out there, been on countless forums and my brain is overloaded with information. There is so much out there and cost is a factor with me, so catching sales to maximize my purchase power is important. I have no problem adding as time goes on, but need a good starting point. So, with black Friday around the corner, what do you all recommend I look into and start with, and why? Any southern hunters that hunt my regions, what do you wear?

Thanks for reading my 1st wall of text post and for the advice.

I’m from NW Alabama and I’m still learning about technical clothes and layering systems. I’ve come a long way from back when me and dad would buy our stuff from the Sportsman’s Guide catalogs. I’ve also gotten into hiking and backpacking over the years and have begun using a lot of that clothes for hunting. It’s seems like a standard systems is to wear merino base layers. First lite seems to be the more popular choice here. Next would be a fleece layer for up top. Aron has a great video on these mid layer options on the Kifaru cast channel on YouTube. Next would be some kind of puffy layer. A puffy jacket definitely isn’t something you see many guys wearing down here in Alabama but after experiencing the warmth of the downy goodness I’m wearing one. Since your not stalking might as well wear one. Lastly some kind of shell. Rain jacket keeps you dry and cuts the wind. I really like Kuhl Renegade pants. I like Arc’teryx stuff also. If you don’t care too much about camouflage you will have a lot more options. If you carry a backpack you can even carry a down quilt with you and slip it on over you and be super warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
I’m pretty much in the same boat you are. Grew up hunting Mississippi and Alabama, now I live in Michigan, I’ve also lived and hunted Pennsylvania for a few years. Don’t get hung up on buying everything from one brand. My stuff is pretty mix and match, I’ve found what I like and what fits me well from several different manufacturers, and I’ve gotten a good bit on sale, you can get lucky and pick up most of it that way.

I’ve got minus33 wool socks and base layer (tall sizes and sometimes on sale on amazon)
Columbia fleece (again these are always on sale)
LL bean down jacket (comes in tall sizes, wind blocking and good sales)
Fleece lined Eddie Bauer guide pants (again tall sizes and generally can get for 50% off)
Sitka incinerator hat and neck gaiter (only thing I didn’t get on sale)
Just got a first lite seak rain jacket (they have some discontinued colors for almost half price)

Buy a crap ton of hand warmers and carry some with you.

I can’t help you with gloves, I haven’t found any that really keep my hands warm.

Apart from that just keep exposed skin to a minimum.

ChrisAU

WKR
Same here. Didn't even know the stuff existed until I started planning my 2nd rifle CO elk hunt this year. Now I have a closet full of it, it really does make a difference. I'm still fine tuning my system for here, but for CO the classic merino base, fleece/merino mid, and puffy exterior for sitting worked perfect.

One change I'm making for down here is the FL corrugate guide jacket and pants. A lot more heavy brush down here than when I was in CO, I plan on most of the time here having a light merino or aerowool base layer on, with the corrugate jacket and pants on over them. I can put a puffy or fleece inbetween them if moving in extreme cold, or puffys as an outer layer when in a stand.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I need some advice with black Friday rolling around. I currently hunt regions in South LA, MS, and AL regularly, I am planning a hunt to IL next November and ID in 2020 for Elk. I hunt deer, duck, turkey, quail at home.

I have never owned higher end hunting clothes. Right now, I have a set of Academy specials bibs and coat to wear when weather is cold deer hunting, but they don’t do water very well and I still can get cold sitting in a tree or box stand. I have a lighter set that is Cabala’s Rain Suede for warmer weather, still not great for rain and not great for chasing turkey where I walk a lot and can’t vent. Spring is really humid here.

I have been looking at higher end stuff to be more comfortable, but there is just so much out there that it’s overly confusing to me. I don’t do much stalking for deer, it’s just sit and wait, so I need something that will keep me warm in the south which is a pretty good range in temps every season (30s-70s). I run and gun for turkey, so I want lighter and easy venting to cool off and water resistant. Ducks I wear waders, so whatever I get will need to go under and use as a jacket or layers if it is cold, probably the easiest to deal with for me.

I had planned on buying the SKRE white tail bundle to keep costs reasonable over other brands and maybe adding rain gear too. I have never worn merino wool, when it’s cold I usually wear everything I have and look like the stay puff marshmallow man. I think I have read every review out there, been on countless forums and my brain is overloaded with information. There is so much out there and cost is a factor with me, so catching sales to maximize my purchase power is important. I have no problem adding as time goes on, but need a good starting point. So, with black Friday around the corner, what do you all recommend I look into and start with, and why? Any southern hunters that hunt my regions, what do you wear?

Thanks for reading my 1st wall of text post and for the advice.

I understand the struggle of hunting elk on a budget but in the long run it costs me more elk and more money having gear that I had to mix and match over the years. I recommend you at least look into the Sitka Gear, I have been using their full layering system myself for many years and am still running the same stuff. Everything is holding up great and even if it did have a problem Sitka has a life time warranty on their gear and will fix it for you.

We will be having our biggest sale of the year for Black Friday so keep an eye on our site. For you I would personally recommend:

Timberline Pant

Core Heavyweight Hoody
Stormfront Jacket
Ascent Shirt

bozeman

WKR
So, I feel ya.....live in west AL and didn't understand layering or what all was offered until early 2017 when preparing for my first NW CO elk hunt in first rifle in a tent. I have literally read hundreds of articles and have bought/traded several pieces of gear. Here is what I have found through some trial and error and limited (3 trips) to CO hiking/hunting.
Puffy jacket is a life saver (bought a Kuiu Kenai on sale for $99)
Gaiters for boots (never wore a pair til last year) are a very cheap and useful accessory
Gloves, Gloves, Gloves (still searching, just purchased a pair of Kuiu Expedition on sale, HOPING THEY WORK)
Boots- spend the $$, they are worth it
Blue Jeans- yes, I have tried all kinds of technical pants, but I am still VERY comfy in a pair of thick denim jeans
Merino Wool Base Layers (sitka bottom, first lite top)
Outer Shell- I have been missing this (just purchased a Kuiu Yukon jacket on sale, WILL TEST IT OUT)
Backpack- have tried very major brand and some cheap ones......you cant take someone else's advice here, just gotta try them to you find the right one and then you will 'KNOW'
Shelter- trying floorless for the first time in 2019...…...jury still out

Anyways....I have learned a lot and spent a good bit of $$, but most high end items hold value so you can re-coup. Also, buy used on the classifieds......some good folks on this site.

Wish you the best. PM me if you want to talk.
Bozeman

My general advice
As I've been experiencing over the past year, right now is a great time to be getting into technical hunting clothing, for various reasons- there are a ton of great manufacturers, those manufacturers are innovating very quickly and are fighting one another for our business, and that innovation is happening so quickly that manufacturers and retailers are constantly putting great gear on sale to make room for the new stuff. It may not be obvious on any given day, but if you're patient and can predict your needs 6-12 months in the future (like you have) there's no reason that you should have to pay full price for any piece of your layering system. Don't think you have to get everything right now, but now is definitely a good time to get as much as you can. You will save money, and sacrifice being photogenic, by not committing yourself to one brand or camo pattern (some things don't even need to be camo at all). Also, don't expect to get your system perfect on the first try or be hard on yourself when you don't. I've got stuff that I thought was going to be the ticket and were great standalone pieces, only to find out that they were redundant or didn't interact with other layers the way I wanted them to. One last note, don't buy anything in camouflage (if you don't have to) that won't be worn as an outer layer for game within 100 yards. Earth tones will suffice. You'll be thankful later when you decide to nix something from your hunting lineup, but instead of having to sell it or give it away, you can improve your day to day life by incorporating it into your everyday wear.

My suggestions

Bottom:
Heavyweight Merino Socks- Whatever you find on sale. At least as high as your boots.
Merino Boxers- Any weight, any mfg, I like First Lite Aerowool. Longer boxers are better at not riding up.
Merino Longjohns- Mid weight (190-250), any mfg, I like First Lite and KUIUs 3/4 AKA boot cut. Worn instead of Merino boxers, not with.
KUIU Peloton 97 zip off bottoms- On sale right now. Could be worn with or instead of merino longjohns. Easy to remove, for days that start cold but warm up. Adds some wind resistance to your bottom half.
Pants- Too many good choices. First Lite corrugate guide pants. KUIU Attack (on sale now) or Guide pants. Prana Stretch Zion pants (on sale at Backcountry).
Rain Pants- Literally whatever you can find on sale, but you need to know if you want cheaper and lighter or durable and slightly heavier. Kryptek Jupiters are cheap right now. KUIU stuff is on sale right now. Browning rain slayer is cheap at Sierra Trading Post right now. SKRE stuff is a pretty good price.
Puffy Pants- I don't have much experience here, but I'm very happy with my newly acquired Arc'teryx LEAF Fusion pants. Get something with full leg zips and an adjustable waist.

Merino Long Sleeve- 200 weight or less. When it's hot it keeps the sun off of you, and when you're layered it keeps the sweat off of you. I wouldn't suggest a hoody if you're only going to get one LS.
Fleece Midlayer- I would say get whatever you find the best deal on, or a couple different ones, and see what you like best. No one seems to like the same thing. Thumb loops make layering over it much easier and quicker. I wouldn't suggest a hood unless you plan on using it as an outer layer.
Softshell Jacket- Some people don't like these, that's cool. I don't like to rely on swishy rain gear for busting brush or weathering damp but not heavily rainy days, but that's me. Manufacturer doesn't seem super important, this is another piece that you'll want to try a few things before you settle on one. I'd get one with a hood to handle wind and moisture.
Puffy- Whatever you can find on sale in earth tones. You won't likely be bow hunting in one, and an animal at rifle distance won't be able to see you if you don't move. This is a piece that you may want to wait until after winter to buy, when all of the outdoor mfgs like Patagonia, Arc'teryx, Marmot, Columbia, etc. start clearancing. You will need to decide whether you want a big puffy jacket to serve as an outer layer, or more of a down sweater to serve as a mid layer. I got both. Good retailers for these would be The Clymb, Steep and Cheap, Backcountry, REI, and Sierra Trading Post.
Rain Jacket- See response under rain pants.

Accessories:
Merino neck gaiter or balaclava- I really like my First Lite Aerowool gaiter and Tundra balaclava. I will probably grab the Wind River as well, because the Tundra is a real heavy hitter.
Beanie- Either go with merino (any mfg) for softness and lack of smell, or some Sitka with Windstopper in it.
Leg Gaiters- Really only if you're hiking through snow, tall wet grass, or crossing creeks. First Lite, KUIU, Kenetrek, Outdoor Research. They don't breathe, so only get them as tall as you need them.
Merino Liner Gloves- Any mfg. Tacky palms are nice.
Outer gloves- From the hunting brands, I'm mostly only impressed by what KUIU has to offer. Right now KUIU Yukons and Expeditions are 50% off. Size up if you want to layer under them, as they are a tight fit. I also love my Sitka Mountain Gloves. There is a world of great non-hunting options out there, as well.

Don't forget to surf Camofire, Hunt of the Day, and Sierra Trading Post, along with the mfgs clearance/outlet pages.

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had a lot of the high end hunting clothes.

What I took to CO this year for 2nd rifle:

Minus 33 wool top and bottom, Minus 33 wool longsleeve midweight
Pendleton wool shirt from Ebay ($50!)
Generic light neck gaiter
Stormy Kromer cap
Prana pants
Darn Tough or Bridgedale socks
Patagonia Down Sweater Hoodie

None of it is camo. I got a buck and a bull, so camo isn't everything.

I too get confused. Hunted in Utah last year. Weather was all over the place in 10 days. This is what I carried.

LaCrosse Extreme Hunting Over the calf socks
Cabela’s Polartech heavy weight top and bottoms
Cabela’s Legacy Fleece pullover and pants (older ones) don’t like the newer ones. Wind Blocker
Cabela’s Wooltimate Jacket and pants. Also have the wind blocker
Meindl Perfekt Hiker boots (on my third pair in 14 years)
Some off brand camouflage rain gear that I’ve had for years
I also carried my MT050 bibs and parker but never used it (can’t walk 1/4 mile without burning up)
I stand hunt in NE Mississippi with all the same gear. I didn’t feel like I needed anything else while there. I am not a salesman for Cabelas but have just accumulated this gear over the past decade. It works. BTW we hunted daily from base camp (did not hike in)

First, you have time so you can puck up stuff on the forums and on sale. That's a good thing.

I looked at non hunting stuff, but there were not tremendous cost savings when I was looking to buy so I went with kuiu and first lite. Both during sales.

Look at features you must have. For instance, I won't own hunting pants without hip vents or a dry weather outer coat without pit vents. That instantly limited my options. Then I looked at how I wanted to layer. Trial and error on a few things, bit got it figured out. I wanted merino as the base layer for smell and softness. I wanted a second layer to suck the moisture out of the merino. I wanted my mid layers to be zip off for ease and venting.

What I ended up with is first lite merino baselayers, kuiu peloton 2nd layers, mid layers of synthetic or down depending on condition and kuiu chinook outer layers unless it rains in which case I put rain gear on.

Features that were must have made the decision much more simple.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I grew up in South LA (ducks and deer) so I know the strugle with the weather. Im pretty sure that 30°F in that Coastal Humidity is colder than any mountain top in CO.

Since you mentioned ducks, I would push you to look at Sitka's waterfowl line as a good place to start. While it may be an unorthodox way to build a sysyem, that was how I got introduced to high end gear while living in Lubbock, TX. For years I just couldnt understand laying out that kind of dough for camo clothes and opted instead for the 6" thick, 50lb coats in Realtree Shadow grass. One day a guide I was talking to explained that it was WAY more than a camo pattern and told me about the fabrics and layering, etc. Well, After forking over some cash for a few pieces it quickly became apparent to me that it was money well spent. I was WARMER with less bulk. And with less bulk - I could move better and I could SHOOT BETTER. Shouldering a shotgun out of a layout blind and getting on a bird quickly (before your buddies do) is not easy with bulk. I also sweated a lot less while messing with the deeks which translated to more comfortable sits.

Anyhow, there is no better stuff out there than Sitka for waterfowl and I've been a loyal customer since that 1st day shooting geese in a cold windswept cut milo field. The good news is a whole lot of it can cross over to your deer hunting. I don't recall all the names but the puffy (duck oven?), the base layers, the insulated vest, face masks etc. (Some of the outer layers would be a bit noisy for big game but base and insulation stuff will work fine).

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

tonedover

FNG
I prefer camo for my hunting clothes as it earmarks them for that purpose and not to beat up working in and wear them out sooner.

same here - although its exciting to get new camo stuff, I only use it for hunting (and the goretex stuff goes in the boat bag for northern fishing trips)

Btaylor

WKR
I run Sitka gear and have the equinox pants and jacket in EVII and this year added the Mountain pants in open country. Also have a lightweight core hoody and the core heavy weight half zip. This gear paired with base layers when needed has covered me from 90+ in a deer stand down to the 40's. The mountain pants with the knee pads are money during turkey season and hunting out west. Didnt think I would like them at all but I was way wrong. Either pair of pants and a base layer should keep you plenty toasty in any decent pair of neoprene waders standing in waist deep water.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I grew up in South LA (ducks and deer) so I know the strugle with the weather. Im pretty sure that 30°F in that Coastal Humidity is colder than any mountain top in CO.

Since you mentioned ducks, I would push you to look at Sitka's waterfowl line as a good place to start. While it may be an unorthodox way to build a sysyem, that was how I got introduced to high end gear while living in Lubbock, TX. For years I just couldnt understand laying out that kind of dough for camo clothes and opted instead for the 6" thick, 50lb coats in Realtree Shadow grass. One day a guide I was talking to explained that it was WAY more than a camo pattern and told me about the fabrics and layering, etc. Well, After forking over some cash for a few pieces it quickly became apparent to me that it was money well spent. I was WARMER with less bulk. And with less bulk - I could move better and I could SHOOT BETTER. Shouldering a shotgun out of a layout blind and getting on a bird quickly (before your buddies do) is not easy with bulk. I also sweated a lot less while messing with the deeks which translated to more comfortable sits.

Anyhow, there is no better stuff out there than Sitka for waterfowl and I've been a loyal customer since that 1st day shooting geese in a cold windswept cut milo field. The good news is a whole lot of it can cross over to your deer hunting. I don't recall all the names but the puffy (duck oven?), the base layers, the insulated vest, face masks etc. (Some of the outer layers would be a bit noisy for big game but base and insulation stuff will work fine).

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
My cousin wears his Timber pattern gear for whitetails in TN and Ohio. Multi purpose lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk