Advise for AZ 9pt Elk hunt

bow4bulls

FNG
Planning for 2024 AZ elk hunt With 9pts.
My buddy and I are not weapon specific since we are getting up there in age.
We are just looking for advice or suggestions on what unit offers best chance to draw and what weapon.
W e would consider DIY, Scouting package or guided for under or around $5-6k

thxs

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Head on over to gohunt and use ther filtering 2.0 feature. That will narrow down what units you should be looking at and then once u have the units figured out that you can draw, then you can start reaching out to outfitters in the area for additional services

Falro

FNG
I would go for an early archery hunt if I were you. Bugling bulls are always more fun to hunt and easier to find. With only 9 points you don’t have a lot of good options or even guaranteed draw odds 6a, 7e, 8, 7w, 5B are all good lower tier units but it looks like if you’re a non resident you probably won’t even draw those. If you’re going guided the late rifle hunts can produce big bulls but without a lot of scouting, a guide and local knowledge it’s a needle in a haystack even in the best units. You might be better off waiting a few years for a better tag and hunt other states in the mean time. Like mentioned above GOHUNT is a great resource to see your options.

OP
B

bow4bulls

FNG
I would go for an early archery hunt if I were you. Bugling bulls are always more fun to hunt and easier to find. With only 9 points you don’t have a lot of good options or even guaranteed draw odds 6a, 7e, 8, 7w, 5B are all good lower tier units but it looks like if you’re a non resident you probably won’t even draw those. If you’re going guided the late rifle hunts can produce big bulls but without a lot of scouting, a guide and local knowledge it’s a needle in a haystack even in the best units. You might be better off waiting a few years for a better tag and hunt other states in the mean time. Like mentioned above GOHUNT is a great resource to see your options.
thx u for the advise. I had a hunch 6 would be a maybe for archery. Love the idea of chasing bugles but getting to a point of needing to burn some points to get some elk meat and a rack preferably.

Brooks

WKR
Don’t wait on a better unit unless you have many years to wait. Get what you can and get out ! AZ point creep is crazy and game and fish can change things up that will double or even triple your wait, I know, I started putting in for a unit that took 8-10 points to draw then AZG&F changed the way the draw works plus point creep, now I have 20 points and still have never drawn.

ole17

FNG
I believe 11M or 7E offer decent nonresident odds for September archery. All just outside of Flagstaff and 'busy' in terms of roads and human traffic but hold a lot of elk.

Better chance at bigger bulls in 6a with a rifle - less hunter helpers than during archery = less people . If you are planning on chasing bugling bulls in 6a during archery season plan on looking in all directions and finding 2-10 other hunters .
Place is a zoo .