AK Sheep Gear

duchntr

WKR
Maybe its just me but i can't imagine using that at all. Electrical tape and scope caps are a much lighter sleeker way to protect your rifle.

I 100% agree. I also fail to see how that cover would keep your rifle dry in a downpour while bushwhacking, but to each his own I guess.

JP100

WKR
My 2cents is if you are buying any new gear make sure you have used it and familiar with it before you go on the hunt. The sleeping bag you have may not be the lightest or bestest but you know what youve got.
I hate seeing clients turn up with gear they have not used/hardly used in the field,buying it purely of 'stats' or internet reviews. Some things dont show up on paper tests.

Take your spotter and tripod and you may leave it at camp but at least you have the option to take it with you.
Have fun mate, Im sure the gear you have will be just fine!!!

Get one of these rifle covers made for your rifle. Keep your rifle dry and your scope covered. IMO its a must have on a sheep hunt or any hunt where weather is a factor. Brett will take good care of you.

http://www.rapidriflecovers.com/

Congratulations on booking your hunt! The time will fly by and you'll be on your way before you know it!

I'm just not seeing how that cover is supposed to keep the rifle dry? Maybe the scope and barrel, but the action looks like it would still take a soaking. Usually when those types of covers get soaked, they end up weighing even more. That's unnecessary weight using a cover like that IMO. Like mentioned above, the proven Butler Creek covers (electrical taped on to the scope) and electrical tape over the end of your barrel is all that's needed. If your rifle is too precious to get a few dings on it in the alders, you're better off taking a rifle you shoot accurately and don't need to baby.

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
Get one of these rifle covers made for your rifle. Keep your rifle dry and your scope covered. IMO its a must have on a sheep hunt or any hunt where weather is a factor. Brett will take good care of you.

http://www.rapidriflecovers.com/

Congratulations on booking your hunt! The time will fly by and you'll be on your way before you know it!

Or one of these http://www.blackovis.com/solo-hunter-rifle-cover

I'm with mtnclimber, I don't see how these make things easier. I might have a different mind set if I had a $5000 rifle, but I don't and never will.

Leupold scopes with their flip caps and stainless weapons with synthetic stocks and I am all good to 500 yards in typical Alaska weather.

i personally don't mind my rifles gettn dinged up, just means i actually use them i guess. as long as they shoot straight and kill stuff is all i care.

i personally don't mind my rifles gettn dinged up, just means i actually use them i guess. as long as they shoot straight and kill stuff is all i care.

I feel the same way, although I do go out of my way to try and protect my scopes/lenses. Oh, and my pre-64 model 70's, which are pretty much just safe queens.

bcimport

WKR
The other thing to remember in sheep country is you share it with grizzlies. I don't even like having my rifle strapped to the outside of my pack half way handy most of the time. Tape the barrel and don't worry about the rest. A rifle is a tool, if it's too fragile or expensive to ding up or drag through the brush it probably isn't the right tool for the job.

I'll differ from the guys saying take small glass though. If you want to be an integral part of finding and judging Rams bring good glass and use it. I you are content with looking at the sheep the guide found smaller binos and no spotter are fine. I'll cut weight elsewhere to have 10 or 12 power binos, a spotter and a good tripod with me. I just enjoy looking over good country too much to leave home without them.

Snyd

WKR
Since you are going on a guided hunt and will only be packing a small amount, I'd go with the best glass you have. You are going to be in some incredible country for a fantastic adventure. There is a lot to look at! Heck, my gear/gun/pack weight is about 35-40lbs depending, plus food and water. We then hike 5-15+ miles one way. And I'm 55!

Great advice on taking a comfortable bag. Forget the quilt idea. I'll add to that get a good inflatable pad! I've used a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for about 10 years and it's 2.5 inches of pure comfort when inflated. You need as much sleep, food and water as you can get!

The most important item is your boots! I prefer plastics, some guys don't. Each to his own, so long as they fit good and are broke in. The ones you mentioned sound fine.

Forget the fancy-dancy gun covers. Take a stainless synthetic rifle, electrical tape and a Scope Bikini I prefer them to the flip up caps. Each to his own there.

Last edited:
Since you are going on a guided hunt and will only be packing a small amount, I'd go with the best glass you have.

Hey Snyd, not trying to single you out, but this is a misconception I think that a lot of hunters have grown to accept. Many hunters, especially resident hunters because they have never needed to hire a guide, are under the misconception that just because one is guided, that they won't be packing a substantial amount of weight. Yes, some guided sheep hunts have packers, where there job is to be a pack mule. But many guided sheep hunts are just one hunter, and one guide, no packer involved. In this case, the hunter damn near carries as much weight as the guide does.

As an example, when I guide sheep hunts, it is always 1 x 1, no packer involved. The hunter carries his own food, the hunter carries his own gear, the hunter carries his own weapon, often times, the hunter carries his own sleep system including a one man tent. Now as a rule, I as the guide am always carrying more weight than the hunter, just the way it is, but the hunter is carrying a substantial amount as well, enough that counting ounces is just as important for the hunter as it is the guide.

That is why I recommended that the OP bring as light as possible binos if he planned to bring his own spotter. If leaving the spotter at home, sure, bring the big binos.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer that up, as it has occurred to me that it is a misconception on guided hunts that the guided hunter is not packing very much weight, which is not always true. And as any prior successful sheep hunter knows, it is quite the load to pack a sheep camp out in one trip between two guys.

Just a few more thoughts to ponder.....

I hunted an area 2 years ago and it was very very difficult to spot sheep. caves, brush, and cliffs. All the rams we found i was blown away we were able to spot them. many times you'd see just a horn or part of a neck or butt. I had 10x42's and i can honestly say with a smaller pair of bino's i wouldn't have been able to spot the rams we did. With that being said, i believe 50mm binos are simply too big for a sheep hunt, and the 8x32's are simply too small.

Everyones opinion may differ and it probably has a lot to do with their experiences in the field. Personally, 10x42 is my go to.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hunted an area 2 years ago and it was very very difficult to spot sheep. caves, brush, and cliffs. All the rams we found i was blown away we were able to spot them. many times you'd see just a horn or part of a neck or butt. I had 10x42's and i can honestly say with a smaller pair of bino's i wouldn't have been able to spot the rams we did. With that being said, i believe 50mm binos are simply too big for a sheep hunt, and the 8x32's are simply too small.

Everyones opinion may differ and it probably has a lot to do with their experiences in the field. Personally, 10x42 is my go to.

But what if your 50mm binos weigh the same as a pair of 10X42 ELs? :)

Snyd

WKR
No prob, I hear ya. I was just looking at what he mentioned in an earlier post where he was at 25lbs of gear and I think that was with the big binos. That's peanuts. I think he should let the guide pack a spotter.

I think if a guys is gonna spend all the money and time for perhaps a once in a lifetime sheep hunt he should leave the small binos at home and bring the best binos he can. If that means an extra 12ozs so be it. Even if he does decide to bring the spotter. Like I said, lots to look at and he'll spend most of his time behind the binos.

Hey Snyd, not trying to single you out, but this is a misconception I think that a lot of hunters have grown to accept. Many hunters, especially resident hunters because they have never needed to hire a guide, are under the misconception that just because one is guided, that they won't be packing a substantial amount of weight. Yes, some guided sheep hunts have packers, where there job is to be a pack mule. But many guided sheep hunts are just one hunter, and one guide, no packer involved. In this case, the hunter damn near carries as much weight as the guide does.

As an example, when I guide sheep hunts, it is always 1 x 1, no packer involved. The hunter carries his own food, the hunter carries his own gear, the hunter carries his own weapon, often times, the hunter carries his own sleep system including a one man tent. Now as a rule, I as the guide am always carrying more weight than the hunter, just the way it is, but the hunter is carrying a substantial amount as well, enough that counting ounces is just as important for the hunter as it is the guide.

That is why I recommended that the OP bring as light as possible binos if he planned to bring his own spotter. If leaving the spotter at home, sure, bring the big binos.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer that up, as it has occurred to me that it is a misconception on guided hunts that the guided hunter is not packing very much weight, which is not always true. And as any prior successful sheep hunter knows, it is quite the load to pack a sheep camp out in one trip between two guys.

Just a few more thoughts to ponder.....

Last edited:
I prefer to carry the heavier binoculars simply because I like to spend a lot of time behind them studying the country and animals. They offer a better field of view and light gathering capability than my 10x25 Zeiss compacts.

I once did a bear hunt and only took my 12 x 30 compact binos to use for glassing all day long. Big mistake! I will skimp on a lot of things to save weight but I will never do this again.

All very good points....

I guess what it comes down to is personal preference and what you think will work best for you.

Snyd

WKR
All very good points....

I guess what it comes down to is personal preference and what you think will work best for you.

Yup, that's really what it comes down to isn't it....and then there's...

Plastic vs Leather boots
Down vs Synthetic bags
4 season bomber tent vs tipi or somewhere inbetween
Trekking Poles vs Ice Axe vs none
light non-mag caliber vs 30+ cal magnum
Impertech vs all other rain gear
Inflatable vs foam sleeping pad
Walk-in vs Fly
Mtn House vs Backpackers Pantry vs Hawks Vittles
Solo vs partner
and so on and so on

BTW... Merry Christmas and only about 7 months to Sheep 2016!! :D

Yup, that's really what it comes down to isn't it....and then there's...

Plastic vs Leather boots Plastic
Down vs Synthetic bags Synthetic
4 season bomber tent vs tipi or somewhere in-between Hilleberg One Man
Trekking Poles vs Ice Axe vs none Ice Axe
light non-mag caliber vs 30+ cal magnum 30 Cal
Impertech vs all other rain gear Impertech
Inflatable vs foam sleeping pad Inflatable
Walk-in vs Fly Both
Mtn House vs Backpackers Pantry vs Hawks Vittles Mtn House
Solo vs partner Both
and so on and so on

BTW... Merry Christmas and only about 7 months to Sheep 2016!! :D

Merry Christmas to you too Snyd!!!!

I was bored so I added how I roll above in red....

Bighorse

WKR
Merry Christmas guys! I'm just chuckling at how this non resident guided hunter brought out the Alaskan Sheep hunters to talk gear. It's winter and the calander is about to turn. I guess it's time to start planning. Me I'm in the gym. That way I can carry extra food!