Allterra stocks available again.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Just thought I'd give everybody a heads up that these are available again. Sounds like they're doing limited runs when they have capacity and only doing them in a Tikka inlet.
The rokslide special tikka, sports match, swfa just got another mainstay option.

Screenshot_20230214_115650_Gmail.jpg

Rooggvc

WKR
Wondering if guys have had good luck with these? From what I have heard they are well designed stock. They seem to hinge their warranty on a "proper" bedding job. Makes me a little leery.

Wondering if guys have had good luck with these? From what I have heard they are well designed stock. They seem to hinge their warranty on a "proper" bedding job. Makes me a little leery.

I have one of these (got it just before they stopped selling stocks apart from their rifles a few years ago) and love it. I had them (Allterra) bed it and have been very pleased with it. Just get a good gunsmith to bed it for you and you'll be fine.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

The first ones were good stocks, haven’t used any of the new ones.

The design is good, but not perfect. The grip is too swept and too far back, and the fat weird shaped forend isn’t my preference, but it is just a preference.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The forend is to me one of the biggest turn offs.

I’m more excited for the idea of a peak

The Peak is ok. I’ve shot them on other rifles. It’s not a true negative comb, the buttpad is at boreline or just under, the forend is square’ish, etc. All these companies, like everything else, are trying to be cute with the design instead of just making them correct.

All things considered the “best” option for a Tikka is probably the Stocky’s VG2.

The Peak is ok. I’ve shot them on other rifles. It’s not a true negative comb, the buttpad is at boreline or just under, the forend is square’ish, etc. All these companies, like everything else, are trying to be cute with the design instead of just making them correct.

All things considered the “best” option for a Tikka is probably the Stocky’s VG2.
Stocks are definitely a personal thing but man I hated the stockys. Came with paint flaking off, forend was much shorter than id like (found it harder to get steady with a bipod). Worst thing to me was the butt end of the stock felt very very thin and tin-can like. I squeezed it thinking "man this a bit flimsy" and it cracked from a very slight squeeze. I was less than impressed.

I've now tried AG, mesa, stockys, and iota. Of all, the ag and iota were my favorite for ergonomics and shooting, but the ag I had was an earlier model with inletting issues and wouldn't feed. The iota I just put together also had a shallow inlet. This time I just took a Dremel to it because I was tired of changing stocks. None of them truly satisfy me if I'm being honest...but the closest thing I've found to being perfect for myself is the hnt26, that too is not without flaws, and ill be damnef if im spending 1600 on a chassis for each tikka. Maybe I'm picky, oh well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Stocks are definitely a personal thing but man I hated the stockys. Came with paint flaking off, forend was much shorter than id like (found it harder to get steady with a bipod). Worst thing to me was the butt end of the stock felt very very thin and tin-can like. I squeezed it thinking "man this a bit flimsy" and it cracked from a very slight squeeze. I was less than impressed.

I haven’t seen any crack, though nothing abusive has been done to them. If they start cracking, that’s an issue of course. I could care less about paint flaking, and a short forend is mostly aesthetic. The grip shape and location is decent to good, the comb is neutral and near inline, the forend is generally parallel with the barrel. Function wise- that is correct design for shooting performance, they are about as good as any right now.

I've now tried AG, mesa, stockys, and iota. Of all, the ag and iota were my favorite for ergonomics and shooting, but the ag I had was an earlier model with inletting issues and wouldn't feed. The iota I just put together also had a shallow inlet. This time I just took a Dremel to it because I was tired of changing stocks. None of them truly satisfy me if I'm being honest...but the closest thing I've found to being perfect for myself is the hnt26, that too is not without flaws, and ill be damnef if im spending 1600 on a chassis for each tikka. Maybe I'm picky, oh well.

I mean preference are just that. I generally don’t talk about what I like or prefer, I try as much as I can to keep it to objective attributes. Objectively the AG and Iota are ok and the Mesa is one of the worst stock designs on the market. Chassis are cold in winter, and a true pistol grip isn’t great for all’s round manipulations of the gun in hunting.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Hopefully Altera will improve the design from the original incorporating the vertical grip and cleaning up the forend. Til then, it’s not worth changing from the factory stock or just paying the weight penalty with a KRG Bravo.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hopefully Altera will improve the design from the original incorporating the vertical grip and cleaning up the forend. Til then, it’s not worth changing from the factory stock or just paying the weight penalty with a KRG Bravo.

That seems to be the case.

- factory with vertical grip is decent and shoots well.

- Alterra if you want have the negative comb and slight lower weight- pay the price penalty. At $500 or whatever they originally were they were a good choice, at $800+ with getting it bedded on top of that…

- From my small sample size, Stocky’s to lose weight and be a bit more functional than factory.

- KRG Bravo to gain good design and function (vertical grip, inline recoil, parallel forend, etc) and pay the 1 pound or so weight penalty.

I was under the impression that stockys were. 1/2 under the bore line

haven’t seen any crack, though nothing abusive has been done to them.
This definitely was not abuse, I squeezed it with minimal pressure and it cracked. Slightly, but it did. I can't see a stock of that sort enduring normal use. It could be that I got a bad one.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This definitely was not abuse, I squeezed it with minimal pressure and it cracked. Slightly, but it did. I can't see a stock of that sort enduring normal use. It could be that I got a bad one.

👍🏼

I didn’t mean yours was abuse- just that while I haven’t seen the same issue, I also haven’t used them hard.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Right, so the frustration with peak is that it drops back slightly before the heel?

Because it seems to still stay higher than the stockys at finish and for sure higher at cheek location.

So finding perfect 90° side pics to swipe is hard with each, but-

Peak Bastion-
85756BC4-A518-41B5-9E37-86AEE098BC89.jpeg

Stocky’s VG2-
65DBC245-3F06-45C5-BBDA-C3C2EE98D29B.jpeg

164B6811-0B91-47A7-9D44-F55949B3AE8D.jpeg

There is not much difference in comb height- the illusion that the Peak is higher is mostly do to the silly drop at heel after the comb, and depending on inlet the Stocky’s may have just a touch less drop at heel. Nothing major either way for either of them. Shooting the Peak a bit, I wasn’t struck that it did anything better or unique. Their curved/cupped recoil pad feels good just holding it, but is a compromise during recoil in any other position. Flat and 90° is what works best.

So finding perfect 90° side pics to swipe is hard with each, but-

Peak Bastion-
View attachment 550785

Stocky’s VG2-
View attachment 550787

View attachment 550788

There is not much difference in comb height- the illusion that the Peak is higher is mostly do to the silly drop at heel after the comb, and depending on inlet the Stocky’s may have just a touch less drop at heel. Nothing major either way for either of them. Shooting the Peak a bit, I wasn’t struck that it did anything better or unique. Their curved/cupped recoil pad feels good just holding it, but is a compromise during recoil in any other position. Flat and 90° is what works best.
Gotcha, I always looked at the black tooth and for sure thought it finished closer to bore line due to a few stills of bolt cocking pieces looking very in line.

Makes me happy I got an eh1, initial impressions are good so far, just about 6 ounces heavier than optimal

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Gotcha, I always looked at the black tooth and for sure thought it finished closer to bore line due to a few stills of bolt cocking pieces looking very in line.

Makes me happy I got an eh1, initial impressions are good so far, just about 6 ounces heavier than optimal

Yes sir, the EH1 is pretty decent.

The best potential option coming is the McMillan Gamewarden LR stock that Unknown Munituons is inletting for Tikkas.

If it’s a R700 based action, just get a Gunwerks stock.

I talked to mcmillan and they are working on it also. A nice option but I wish the forend was .25” slimmer. All personal at that point

SouthPaw

WKR
With the KRG Bravo you can also adjust cheek height and LOP for a perfect fit to the shooter. All of these other options don't do that. Give it a lighter weight backbone and voila.