Best his & hers "do it all" calibers

visage

Lil-Rokslider
TLDR at bottom.

I am in the market for two new rifles - one for myself and one for my wife. We both hunt deer and elk every year in CO and antelope when we can get tags. We currently share a Savage 12FV in 6.5 creedmoor which has served us just fine for our purposes but it is heavy (10.4 lbs scoped), long, unbalanced, and not a pleasure to haul around the woods (especially for my wife). I picked it up a few years ago on a great black Friday deal at Cabelas and for what it is and what I paid for it, it has been great, but now that we're in a different phase in life and have the ability to invest in something new for each of us. I have gone round and round with ideas of trying to modify the 12FV to be what we'd like it to be and keep coming back to the conclusion that I would be throwing good money at bad. With that, I am set on keeping it as a dedicated range/coyote gun.

My ambition is that both of our setups will ultimately be suppressed in the coming years, but we would hunt the immediate couple years unsuppressed. Compared to other rifles my wife has shot in the past my wife loves the recoil (or lack there of) of our current 6.5 creedmoor (reminder that it is 10.4 lbs). I started out hunting with an old 3006 which helped me successfully develop a flinch and after shooting the 6.5 I am pretty set on something with a fairly light recoil as well.

I would plan to keep shots under 500 yards, she would keep shots under 400 yards. The more research I do the less difference there seems to be between calibers under 500 yards. The more people I talk to that I know personally that have shot the most critters seem to fall in the 25-06/7mm-08/6.5CM camp, so I'm fairly sold on these calibers (or similar), at least for my wife. I am interested in stepping up a bit for my setup with the idea that once it is suppressed it would have tolerable recoil for my wife (thinking 6.5 PRC/7PRC/270) and give a little more confidence at longer ranges on elk.

I am fairly certain the most reasonable approach would be for us to each end up with Tikka Lites, or at least something in a similar weight class, recognizing that the felt recoil (unsuppressed) would be affected by this.

TLDR:
-Two rifles, each rifle will be used for antelope/deer/elk. Up to 400 yards for hers, up to 500 yards for mine
-Both on the lighter recoil spectrum, this being more important for hers than mine
-The plan to cut and thread barrels to use suppressed down the road. 20" +/-. If this meant her gun would no longer be an elk gun out to 400 yards that would be fine as she could use mine (suppressed).
-"Relatively" lightweight - thinking 8 lbs scoped max. Would prefer lighter if recoil was manageable. Maybe a heavier setup for her would be justified to help with recoil?
-Given sensitivity to sound and my inability to use ear plugs in the heat of the moment, I am not interested in a break for either gun
-Factory ammo. The idea of handloading sounds great, but realistically not something I see picking up until the kids are out of the house (15 years from now)
-We already own a 6.5 CM that would be a dedicated range gun. This provides a cheap option for practice if we ended up with a more expensive caliber to shoot
-I am not really looking for a "youth" or "compact" model for her setup as I like the idea of either of us being able to use either gun at any time. The adjustable LOP and comb stocks seem very intriguing but come at enough of a weight penalty that I think they are out.

Calibers I am considering:

Hers
25-06: Pros: Seems like a slam dunk ballistically. Cons: Ammo is pricier/hard to find. Seems like a poor candidate for a barrel chop.
7mm-08: Pros: seems ballistically superiors to the 6.5 CM under 400 yards (or very close match) Ammo seems similarly priced. Cons: Ammo is harder to find
6.5 CM: Pros: Already have one so I could share ammo with the range gun. She as been happy with the one we have. Ammo is cheap and readily available. Cons: Already have one - something additional/different is appealing.

Mine:
6.5 PRC
: Pros: seems to be a nice step up from the 6.5 CM with minimal recoil. Cons: Too small of a step up from 6.5 CM? Ammo price and availability.
7 PRC: Pros: same as above. Cons: Same as above. Recoil?
270 WIN: Pros: Ammo price and availability. Under 500 yards, would I notice any significant difference in this and the two PRC calibers mentioned above? Cons: Recoil? From research I think this would recoil more than the 6.5 PRC for similar ballistics. Unsure compared to the 7 PRC.

Am I way too far down the rabbit hole on this? Am I slitting hairs between any of these calibers given the 400/500 yard limit?

Apologies in advance for another "which rifle" thread, but some real world input/comparison on those that own above mentioned calibers would be very helpful.

taskswap

WKR
My wife and I both shoot 7mm-08 and are very happy with it. It has excellent performance and good availability, and a wide range of bullets and suitable loads. (I went with a 150gr round.)

This started by my buying her a Weatherby Vanguard Camilla, a rifle with a stock specifically made for women. https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-camilla/ It's a great rifle and in this caliber, shoots soft but hits hard. She fell in love with it.

I had been shooting 30-06 until then, but I fell in love with the round too and decided to try it myself. I picked up a budget Savage XP Hunter in it in a carbine length and that's been my go-to for the past 3-4 years.

I'm not sure about the ammo-harder-to-find detail. I feel like a lot of ammo is still in that category if it isn't shipped by the pallet (e.g. 9mm handgun). Right now, Sportsman's Warehouse and Midway both have several options available. YMMV, but for me, this thing is the sweet spot.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I wouldn’t over think it. Most hunters, including western hunters, don’t need anything crazy. I would venture the bulk of animals harvested are 400 yds or less. Plenty of light recoiling capable calibers in that range. Couple with a reliable 2-4 to 10-16 power scope and you are set. Thing is you need to shoot a quality bullet built for the animal hunted. Example: I shoot a .308 my rifle shoots 150 grn sst’s very well, like .5 moa (3 shot groups) the sst’s are fine for deer and antelope, but IMO are not the ideal bullet for elk, I don’t rifle hunt elk so I haven’t had to find an elk bullet yet but you get the idea. And yes there are some well constructed bullets that will do it all. I’d say 6.5CM for both of you or if you are a tinkerer maybe .270 for you and 6.5 for her

OP
V

visage

Lil-Rokslider
The idea of a "big" gun and "small" gun is appealing, but probably not as practical as it sounds. And probably a disservice to the wife not to set her up with something more specific to her (LOP, proper comb height, etc).

OP
V

visage

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t over think it. Most hunters, including western hunters, don’t need anything crazy. I would venture the bulk of animals harvested are 400 yds or less. Plenty of light recoiling capable calibers in that range. Couple with a reliable 2-4 to 10-16 power scope and you are set. Thing is you need to shoot a quality bullet built for the animal hunted. Example: I shoot a .308 my rifle shoots 150 grn sst’s very well, like .5 moa (3 shot groups) the sst’s are fine for deer and antelope, but IMO are not the ideal bullet for elk, I don’t rifle hunt elk so I haven’t had to find an elk bullet yet but you get the idea. And yes there are some well constructed bullets that will do it all. I’d say 6.5CM for both of you or if you are a tinkerer maybe .270 for you and 6.5 for her
Agreed - my longest shot was 380 yards on a raghorn which the 6.5 CM did just fine. As I spend more time shooting I'd like to be able to stretch this out a bit (to 500 ish) if needed but have no ambitions for the long range hunting game.

The idea of a "big" gun and "small" gun is appealing, but probably not as practical as it sounds. And probably a disservice to the wife not to set her up with something more specific to her (LOP, proper comb height, etc).
I’m not against the concept of bigger guns either, just making sure it will actually fill a niche you need. If it doesn’t add anything to your situation, the convenience of you both shooting the same round would out weigh it for me

OP
V

visage

Lil-Rokslider
The same caliber for both of us certainly makes alot of sense, and would likely be adequate in most/all possible hunting scenarios. Things that come to mind that give me an itch for something that hits a little harder would be:

-oryx
-moose
-bull elk at longer ranges (approaching 500 yards) (More specifically looking at burning preference point hunts in CO in the next few years).

Again, I think the 6.5 CM could do all of these, but something bigger would give me more confidence in those scenarios/eliminate the variable of being under-gunned (maybe an irrational concern). Maybe I am putting too much weight on the suppressor idea, but the idea of me having a "bigger gun", suppressed, would give the wife the ability to comfortably jump up to something bigger (my gun) if/when needed on one of these more "once in a lifetime"/preference point elk hunts (where she would specifically be targeting a bigger bodied animal).

Hnthrdr

WKR
The same caliber for both of us certainly makes alot of sense, and would likely be adequate in most/all possible hunting scenarios. Things that come to mind that give me an itch for something that hits a little harder would be:

-oryx
-moose
-bull elk at longer ranges (approaching 500 yards) (More specifically looking at burning preference point hunts in CO in the next few years).

Again, I think the 6.5 CM could do all of these, but something bigger would give me more confidence in those scenarios/eliminate the variable of being under-gunned (maybe an irrational concern). Maybe I am putting too much weight on the suppressor idea, but the idea of me having a "bigger gun", suppressed, would give the wife the ability to comfortably jump up to something bigger (my gun) if/when needed on one of these more "once in a lifetime"/preference point elk hunts (where she would specifically be targeting a bigger bodied animal).
Oryx are no tougher than bull elk, same with moose, a well placed well constructed bullet will kill just about anything. Being a marksman is more important that shooting a giant caliber poorly. I own a couple 300WM, I don’t hate the bigger calibers either (don’t love their recoil). There are some great threads on here about hunting just about every animal in North America with .223 and 6.5CM do a search and go down the rabbit hole. Lots of good info in there. I personally won’t shoot at an animal past 600 yards so I hunt with rifles that suit my needs. Far more talented marksman and hunters out there that are lethal well beyond and shoot guns to reflect their style of hunting. Get comfortable and accurate with one that will suit you and the Mrs.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If .22 centerfires are legal where you hunt this is what I’d recommend:

Tikka T3x Lite Compact 223 w/vertical grip module
77 TMK
SWFA 6x mil/mil w/milquad reticle
Sportsmatch T084 Rings

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 CM (only because they don’t offer 6CM)
143ELDX/147ELDM
SWFA 6x mil/mil Milquad
Sportsmatch T084 rings

Cut the barrels to 20” and threaded for you cans.

If 22 centerfires are not legal where you hunt, just dupe the second set up with the exception of getting her a Compact.

It’s that simple.

6mm Remington for her. You will have to reload as ammo can be hard to find. Great cartridge though and will do anything the new 6mm Creedmoor will do. Both my son and I have shot elk with the 6mm Remington also! He shot his first with one shot at 350 yards. A really nice big cow elk. I shot a spike bull at about 30 yards in the timber.

25-06 for her. Great cartridge and using good bullets like 120 gr. Partition or 110 gr. Accubond and it will work just fine on elk as well. Taken elk with this one also. It will work.

280AI for you. Tremendous on everything. Light recoil and great ballistics. Used it with ONE shot on my grizzly bear in 2019 at 158 yards.

woods89

WKR

-oryx
-moose

What's going to give you confidence is lots of ammo shot through the gun. The number of people shooting mid to high 3 digits per year through anything bigger than a 6.5 CM is pretty low, both from a cost and recoil standpoint.

SouthPaw

WKR
If .22 centerfires are legal where you hunt this is what I’d recommend:

Tikka T3x Lite Compact 223 w/vertical grip module
77 TMK
SWFA 6x mil/mil w/milquad reticle
Sportsmatch T084 Rings

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 CM (only because they don’t offer 6CM)
143ELDX/147ELDM
SWFA 6x mil/mil Milquad
Sportsmatch T084 rings

Cut the barrels to 20” and threaded for you cans.

If 22 centerfires are not legal where you hunt, just dupe the second set up with the exception of getting her a Compact.

It’s that simple.
This is the way. 223 for her, 6CM or 6.5CM for you.