Almost Slit my Wrist with Havalon

FNG
After using only a havalon for the past few years I did a bear up with a traditional knife last week. It’s kind of an apples to oranges comparison. If it had to only be one, havalon every time. I have never had a blade fall off but have broke 1 or 2 when I was doing things I shouldn’t have

So the blades on these knives are like scalpels. They don’t require much force to cut but finesse is pretty key. They also will loose their edge fairly quickly.
Also as a trauma nurse and Stop the Bleed instructor I’d like to second carrying a hemostatic bandage QuickClot can be found on Amazon and a CAT tourniquet. Spend the $ to get the CAT one as they’re not all created equal.
Anyone used the Gerber Vitals?

MJB

WKR
I use the Titan the best of both worlds........& use cut resistance gloves accidents do happen.

MattB

WKR
Do you have the right type of blades for the handle you have? I've used a Havalon quite a bit and have never had a blade just pop off. In fact, they can be rather hard to remove when bloody even when trying. Could be an issue of user error.

Fatcamp

WKR
I always carry 3 different knives in my pack and I always end up using the havalon. I don't need a heavy thick blade to pry, knives are made to cut, not pry. Usually 2-3 or more elk a year plus several deer and bears and although I keep other knives for backups, I always use the havalon. Throw a new blade on and you're good to go.

Also I have never had issues with the blades falling off, but I may start bringing a hemostat to remove them.

Ya, I carry a tiny multitoolbfrom Cabela's to remove mine. I also use a scalpel handle rather than a marketed item. We have them, I just prefer the scalpel.

Will_m

WKR
Once I went to a knife with S30V steel I didn't need the sharpener in my pack anymore, so I replaced that with a Havalon. I like the Havalon but I switch to the knife for any heavy work, mostly use the Havalon for the skinning then break out the clean knife for taking care of the meat.
Agree. I did a whole moose with an S30v knife and could still shave hair at the end. Those replaceable blade knives are silly. Just learn to sharpen a knife.

Geewhiz

WKR
Agree. I did a whole moose with an S30v knife and could still shave hair at the end. Those replaceable blade knives are silly. Just learn to sharpen a knife.
Yeah I don't buy that for a second. Your telling me after 4+ hours of usage and it hasn't lost any of its edge? You're being silly.

Jimss

WKR
I've had nightmares about several of the close calls I used to have with Havalons. I switched over to Outdoor Edge years ago and have been super happy with them ever since. I had several Havalons snap on me....the last time was in a super isolated spot in Alaska. It was a close call and I could have easily bleed and died! I've never had a malfunction with Outdoor Edge. I do a lot of caping and skinning for life-sized mounts. Their blades are the best I've used yet. I've never snapped a blade yet....and use and abuse them a lot! They are by far the most dependable, sharp knife I've used. It only takes a minute to swap out blades!

ODgreen

FNG
I like this discussion, been looking for a new lightweight knife for a sheep hunt, I am hesitant to try a havalon type blade. My dad who was a butcher for 20 years won’t touch a havalon or similar knives, he does everything and I mean almost everything with his buck 110

Geewhiz

WKR
Sounds like you have never used on of those good steels.
I can sometimes do 3-4 animals with my knife.

Check this ranking of steels to see how yours compares to the top steels

Here

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the link.

But this guy said shaving sharp after an entire moose. Obviously you know a bit more than I about blades but I wasn't aware that was possible.

Fatcamp

WKR
Sounds like you have never used on of those good steels.
I can sometimes do 3-4 animals with my knife.

Check this ranking of steels to see how yours compares to the top steels

Here

No way. No how. I am not going down that rabbit hole. I have enough problems with gear obsession to start looking over that stuff.

I use an old piece of steel, made in the 50s or so. Fixed blade knife. Weighs a little more with knife and sharpener. But I'll be damned the day I trade it for one of these Havalon knives. Something lucky about that old knife too, after all it has cleaned hundreds of animals. One area I'm ok with sacrificing weight

Decker9

WKR
Yeah I don't buy that for a second. Your telling me after 4+ hours of usage and it hasn't lost any of its edge? You're being silly.
I was a non believer as well until I found out for myself. Tough to remember exactily, but a few moose, a bear, a goat and 4 years of regular camp use, Iv never had to sharpen my s35vn knives. Can’t say they would shave hair still, but definitely sharp enough that they would easily do a couple more animals I’m sure. Any other s30 or s35 I’m sure would be about the same.

Fixed blade knife. Weighs a little more with knife and sharpener. But I'll be damned the day I trade it for one of these Havalon knives. Something lucky about that old knife too, after all it has cleaned hundreds of animals. One area I'm ok with sacrificing weight.
Agree. It’s ounces that you might sacrifice but performance that you cannot.

I was a non believer as well until I found out for myself. Tough to remember exactily, but a few moose, a bear, a goat and 4 years of regular camp use, Iv never had to sharpen my s35vn knives. Can’t say they would shave hair still, but definitely sharp enough that they would easily do a couple more animals I’m sure. Any other s30 or s35 I’m sure would be about the same.
There are a bunch of steels that will perform when the blade is ground properly and the edge geometry is correct. So many knives are produced but not tested. I’d never let a knife leave my shop without checking it’s performance. Sounds like yours is proven.👍🏻

Fatcamp

WKR
There are a bunch of steels that will perform when the blade is ground properly and the edge geometry is correct. So many knives are produced but not tested. I’d never let a knife leave my shop without checking it’s performance. Sounds like yours is proven.👍🏻
Dang it. What kind of money are we talking?

Lawnboi

WKR
Get a good knife with good steel and it will last an animal.
Sharpening a knife is a skill every hunter should know, just my opinion. We live in a throw away society and the havalon is just that.

I can reccomend some knives that won’t break the bank if your interested.