Always, always check your tree stand for any possible issues. Had a cable break today when I was in the stand.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always try to keep safety in mind, and I’m glad I did today. I was setting up a fixed position stand on a new place I have access to. When I was setting it up, I placed a screw in step below it just in case there’s a problem with the stand platform. I got in the stand to test it and sure enough the cables popped. That screw in step caught the platform, so there were no issues, but there certainly could have been.

Sometimes I find myself wanting to skip any kind of safety precautions but today was a reminder that that could be a mistake. Honestly, having a problem with that stand was the last thing on my mind. I was busy looking for shooting lanes and prepping the area where I expected to see deer.

Take the time to check all cables, chains, etc. and it is cliché but the best safety system is between your ears. I shudder thinking about how I used to skip any kind of safety checks when I was younger.

go_deep

WKR
Glad you're alright, your one of the lucky ones!

I grew up in Wisconsin and hunted from a tree stand, I always put a ratchet strap on the stand along with the cable, just in case.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad you're alright, your one of the lucky ones!

I grew up in Wisconsin and hunted from a tree stand, I always put a ratchet strap on the stand along with the cable, just in case.
Actually, I do the same thing before I hunt the stand-it’s good added piece of mind

Good reminder to be careful when setting stands. I've grown much more cautious over the years and shudder now thinking back on the rickety stands I hunted from in my youth with no fall protection. I now set a lifeline on all my stands and stay tied in from the ground up.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Good reminder to be careful when setting stands. I've grown much more cautious over the years and shudder now thinking back on the rickety stands I hunted from in my youth with no fall protection. I now set a lifeline on all my stands and stay tied in from the ground up.
Yes sir , I did the same !
The ignorance of youth is astounding.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I always try to keep safety in mind, and I’m glad I did today. I was setting up a fixed position stand on a new place I have access to. When I was setting it up, I placed a screw in step below it just in case there’s a problem with the stand platform. I got in the stand to test it and sure enough the cables popped. That screw in step caught the platform, so there were no issues, but there certainly could have been.

Sometimes I find myself wanting to skip any kind of safety precautions but today was a reminder that that could be a mistake. Honestly, having a problem with that stand was the last thing on my mind. I was busy looking for shooting lanes and prepping the area where I expected to see deer.

Take the time to check all cables, chains, etc. and it is cliché but the best safety system is between your ears. I shudder thinking about how I used to skip any kind of safety checks when I was younger.
Do you always set a screw-in below your stands?

This is a big reason why I have literally every hang on stand I own for sale on marketplace right now lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I've always worn a harness but I would only put the harness on once I was standing on my treestand. I thought I was being safe but in reality, this is the bare minimum and I am lucky I didnt learn the hard way.

I'd wager the majority of treestand falls/failures happen while climbing up or into/out off treestands, and only rarely do people just fall out of a perfectly good stand. Now I am connected AT ALL TIMES, whether that's a lifeline from the top or using a lineman's while climbing. Take a step back and think about what the most likely way you're going to fall is - it's a strap or cable failing, it's you slipping or tripping while climbing up or down or into/out of your stand.

fwafwow

WKR
Well said, and timed. I floundered this morning. I climbed my tree - hang on properly secured, and I was locked in via a lifeline all the way up. BUT I didn’t realize until I got to the top that I neglected to attach my leg straps to my Killdeer. Idiot.

I recommend the book “Checklist Manifesto” and I obviously need to create a safety checklist. If anyone has one (phone, inReach, knowing where everyone in your party is - wearing all of my safety harness, etc.), please share.

I prefer ladder stands,i have done some stupid shit in 25 years but have been lucky.
I still pack a hang on and saddle hunt sometimes 25 plus feet but will slowly be transferring over to 18 ft ladders on my own property.
If you wait you can usually get them for 80 dollers or so.I need about 10-12!

so was this the strap that goes around the tree or the cables that go from the seat area to the platform?

Tied in from the first step up is best.
I lost my archery mentor from treestand accident.
He was prepping stands in summer and fell.
PLEASE wear safety gear even with ladder stands.

RayF

FNG
Horrible.

I was just speaking with a guy who's friend climber broke, causing him to fall 20ft and lose use of his legs.

JC_68Westy

FNG
Classified Approved
This reminds me that I need to replace the ratchet straps on my ladder stands. I leave them up all year on my property and replace the straps every two years (really just place new ones over the old). Also as I have gotten older my stands have gotten lower.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider

This happened to me yesterday morning. I turned around to face the tree and when I stepped back towards the front of the stand, the cable on the right popped. Scary couple minutes trying to get my pack, bow, and me getting out of the stand wondering if the other side was going to hold. That’s the first time in 30-something years of tree stands that I’ve had something like that happen. I was tied in but I’m glad I didn’t get to test my harness

Lowg08

WKR
I leave out a couple stands each year. They are for my kid because I carry mine in and out. They come down at the end of the season and get gone through and items replaced if needed.