And here it comes...

mwebs

WKR
Coming from a long time lurker, and past unit # Googler back when I moved to Idaho and was narrowing down units, the amount of searchable information on specific units and even canyons, draws, etc. in those units is crazy. Did it help me find a unit, no, did it help me find units not to hunt maybe, but I can see the appeal from non resident hunters and cannot blame them for trying to gather information. I think what is happening now is a lot of guys are seeing the youtube, instagram and forum effect on their elk areas and therefor get understandably pissed when people are talking about their unit or other on an open, searchable forum.

There should be more elk hunting knowledge shared on this forum and less unit information sharing.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I usually give non residents my elk spots, that way when they arrive there, they can help me carry my meat out.

In all seriousness though, I won’t give away locations to active areas, but I will help a guy/gal out with road access or places to camp. I have never had to deal with the nonresident issues of travel and spending lots of money, I usually get a hunt in before and after work, so I understand where they are coming from. If I can save them a little time by getting to their trailhead faster and setting up camp, then they’ll have a better chance of finding elk on their own and actually hunting their elk instead of following a GPS point that some dude PM’d them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
I think most of the issues can be blamed on inexperience. Once you put in a lot of time and sweat to figure out spots to hunt you generally recognize the value of that knowledge. Everyone on here is either looking for help or looking to help. There is a lot of unwritten rules in life that most do not appreciate until they are on the right side of the fence. Asking about otc units on a public forum is not a good strategy in general. I believe most those issues are due to the lack of experience in the field. Buttttt...... there are always selfish folks(A-HOLES) that think the world should be given to them. Put your time in on the forum, at the least, before you start expecting people to give up 20 years of hunting knowledge on an area. It always bothers me to see members have to put newbies in check when the newbie joins and ask for all the knowledge in the world the same day. But it is a necessary filter to keep this forum from turning into a shit show. I joined in 2012. It took a few years of following the forum after joining for me to feel comfortable asking for info or giving info. And if you are the guy with knowledge to give, be respectful enough to other hunters , and hunting in general , to keep the info on private messages.

It is inexperience and laziness. You see it in the gear forum too with “what is the best tent/boot/jacket” questions. People want to be told what to buy and where to go without doing any research or even knowing how they will use the products or info.

Last edited:
Reactions: lif

lif

WKR
I couldn’t agree more Muleyfever. I know how much time I spend researching everything in hunting and it is quite a commitment. My buddy I hunt with let’s me do the majority of the research for our trips and he is always super grateful of my efforts. He sees first hand the time spent and understands the time and suffering we go through. I don’t see too many grip and grins where the hunter has blood under his finger nails anymore.

I have always wanted to hunt Colorado, I have family there and even access to private land (probably just big enough to hunt and work a herd, in a high odd draw zone). I am looking at other states, due to the amount of people that I see, just when visiting in non hunting times of the year. Only way I am hunting Colorado is if I have something set up with family. Have fun.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I have always wanted to hunt Colorado, I have family there and even access to private land (probably just big enough to hunt and work a herd, in a high odd draw zone). I am looking at other states, due to the amount of people that I see, just when visiting in non hunting times of the year. Only way I am hunting Colorado is if I have something set up with family. Have fun.

The “non-hunting” times in CO are the busiest, especially July. I find plenty of solitude during hunting season, but yeah CO elk hunting sucks, if I had the money I’d look at other states too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In regards to point the op expressed. This all reminds me of the character in A.B. Guthrie mountain man novel "The Big Sky". If you have read it you know what I mean.... if not you should read the book and get a good understanding of how some of these hardcore guys feel. Although, change is constant and public land is just that public. You are going to have some company unless you can work harder than the rest and hope google earth poops!

"...proud injuns. They ain't gonna let no white man spile their country"

The guys that don't get it haven't spent much time in the woods.

Im a flatland whitetail killer. Ive wore out a lot of boots learning some public areas and I sure wouldn't hand it over for "free" and theres not even any mountains involved lol!

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to point the op expressed. This all reminds me of the character in A.B. Guthrie mountain man novel "The Big Sky". If you have read it you know what I mean.... if not you should read the book and get a good understanding of how some of these hardcore guys feel. Although, change is constant and public land is just that public. You are going to have some company unless you can work harder than the rest and hope google earth poops!

"...proud injuns. They ain't gonna let no white man spile their country"

I didn't read the book but it is my favorite movie! I have actually never heard it being referenced before. Thanks for the quote from Zeb.

If a man is standing on the sidewalk with "Anything Helps" written on a cardboard sign, do you give him a house and a job? No, but you give him a few dollars.

If a man posts on Rokslide asking for unit specific help, do you give him coordinates? No, you give him fake coordinates.

If a man standing on the sidewalk with "Anything Helps" written on a cardboard sign, do you give him a house and a job? No, but you give him a few dollars.

If a man posts on Rokslide asking for unit specific help, do you give him coordinates? No, you give him fake coordinates.

Doesn't that mean you give the guy on the sidewalk fake money. They are probably living better than me anyway begging instead of getting a job.

Well they definitely aren't working as hard.

I will help folks that have drawn low odds tags in units I am familiar with. Being fairly new here, I have noticed the plethora of generic posts regarding OTC unit "X". I think general info is ok, and I will definitely help people with pre-trailhead logistics if they have committed to a unit and want to know about camping, road conditions, parking, local amenities etc. Usually via PM though.