Another spotting scope ?

Darrindlh

FNG
Okay,
I’m new to the forum and I love reading comments on people’s opinions over optics. I’m in the hunt for a spotting scope. I can’t afford the best, a Swaro. But I want to get as close optically as possible . My my choices have been narrowed down to
1. Meopta meopro Hd 80mm
2. Vortex Razor 80 or 65
3. Nightforce tsn -80
4. Leupold santium 80
5. Athlon Ares 80 or Cronus 80
6. Maven S2 80 mm
What’s yall’s opinion? I love in Utah plan to hunt here and Idaho and well all western states. Thank you so

Darrin

Which ones have you ruled out would be good data to have. I had the vortex and no where close to swaro. I got a Kowa 773 and it was very very nice. I now have a swaro atx and im having a tough time seeing how its $1300 better than the Kowa. That Kowa is very nice and if the swaro doenst pass my extended field use I’ll be going back.

Maven also very nice but heavy, my dad has one.

You’re throwing out scopes across huge price differences. Buy a Kowa, Maven, or Meopta if you can spend over $1000. Athlon Ares is the best option IMO in the $500 range. Each price category gets closer to Swaro but isn’t there.

I’m happy with the Ares and it doesn’t hold me back at all. Light, packable, clear glass I can use past shooting light.

Love my Athlon Ares 65 mm, check out Idaho hiker’s post on his review. Dynamite coverage for free.

rob86jeep

WKR
Love my Athlon Ares 65 mm, check out Idaho hiker’s post on his review. Dynamite coverage for free.
I have one and don't like it. I've never really used a spotter before though so it might just be me not liking to look through a single eye piece. I'm holding onto it for a while longer until I can look through a more expensive spotter to really know if it's me or the Athlon.

OP
Darrindlh

Darrindlh

FNG
Thank you for the help. Yes @idahohiker I read the review! Fantastic review. That is why I put the ares in there. The Ares is the only scope I think that is under $1000.00 . I did try to keep my dudget close.. but I guess I didn’t. The first I’m ruling out is the Maven. The only reason I can not look through it before dropping that coin and for $2200.00 I’m pretty close to the Swarovski 20-60x65 ats! Might as well get that. I defiantly need to take a close look at the Kowa. There is a dealer near by . Thank you for the help.

I have one and don't like it. I've never really used a spotter before though so it might just be me not liking to look through a single eye piece. I'm holding onto it for a while longer until I can look through a more expensive spotter to really know if it's me or the Athlon.

There are some people who just don’t jive the with close one eye deal. I spot game like crazy with the spotter and don’t experience really any eye strain. Buy 15x binos if spotters don’t jive.

rob86jeep

WKR
There are some people who just don’t jive the with close one eye deal. I spot game like crazy with the spotter and don’t experience really any eye strain. Buy 15x binos if spotters don’t jive.
That's what I want to do; I'm just waiting to try an expensive spotter first to make sure it's a me problem first.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Vanguard optics are reasonably priced and have had good experiences with them, warranty is also unconditional on endeavor models

tdot

WKR
Kowa is absolutley on par with Swaro.

I cant speak to any of the others specifically, but I quit looking thru inexpensive spotting scopes as I constantly ran into more eye strain issues. So I just quit comparing them.

Try to keep both eyes open, even if you have to cover one.

OP
Darrindlh

Darrindlh

FNG
I don’t have experience with Kowa but I have read plenty of reviews and I have read nothing but great things

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Under $1,000.00 I would suggest the Athlon Ares Spotters over $1,000.00 and under $2,000.00 we have the Meopta MeoStar 20-70x82 S2 on sale for only $1,799.99
I'm back in the store 1st thing tomorrow, and everyday till Christmas. if you'd like to give a call to discuss what would be best for you Have a great Thanksgiving.
OH, and don't eat too much at dinner, save room for dessert :)

Jimss

WKR
Do yourself a favor....beg and borrow but buy a Swaro! You'll never need another scope! You can get a lightly used one for close to the same price as other brands....and it will still have a lifetime warrantee. I got mine around the price of several of the scopes prices listed above and it was barely used. It may take time and work to find the right deal but they are out there. I bought mine on the classified section of this website and also kept an eagle eye on Ebay, craigslist, and several other hunting classified sites.

When I was updating my hunting stuff several years ago I sold a bunch of stuff I didn't need so I could afford the more expensive items. If you plan on hunting the West a bunch you'll find it is well worth investing in the best!

Speaking of Athlon, I spotted my first two collared does in the backcountry this year - both on the same day?! These pics are using my old iPhone with no attachment on the 65 mm Athlon spotter.

6137BAFE-9602-4AA2-9858-D3B6A7B53440.jpegFD96DB97-3F26-43B4-8D8B-5EEF320DECBB.jpeg

Pics don’t look that sweet embedded so maybe this ain’t the best sales pitch. But two necklaces in one day was exciting for some reason?

If you’re wanting to keep it close to $1000 the Kowa 66 series is tough to beat. If you’re in Utah/Juab county area you’re welcome to come take a look through mine