Antler chews legality

Had a conversation that made me wonder. It's illegal to sell antler that doesn't have a burr attached to prove it was a shed to a buyer.

How can people prove cut antler chews sold privately are actual sheds, and not acquired maliciously?

Where is it illegal to sell antler w/o a burr attached?
Not positive if it's illegal persat, but shed buyers that are legitimate usually will pass on antler that can't be proven to be legally obtained. Anything missing a burr could potentially be ripped from a poached animal, or deadhead that they didn't have a tag/receipt for.
If you can't prove it's a shed it's sketchy.
Especially these days with everyone and their brother trying to turn it into a job.

Odd question- definitely not illegal to sell an antler without a burr, but even if it was- I’ve cut plenty of antlers off of skulls, the burr is still attached- I don’t see how this could ever be an issue?

Odd question- definitely not illegal to sell an antler without a burr, but even if it was- I’ve cut plenty of antlers off of skulls, the burr is still attached- I don’t see how this could ever be an issue?
Not sure. But NM you can't possess a deadhead without a receipt, or tag. And cutting antlers off them prior to owning them is illegal.

I don't have any horses in this race.
Just curious on if any law enforcement, or antler buyers could chime in. Like how can someone be sure a antler chew isn't actually a illegal deadhead cut?

Not sure. But NM you can't possess a deadhead without a receipt, or tag. And cutting antlers off them prior to owning them is illegal.

I don't have any horses in this race.
Just curious on if any law enforcement, or antler buyers could chime in. Like how can someone be sure a antler chew isn't actually a illegal deadhead cut?

I’m not a buyer, but I sell antlers and have buyer friends.
Basically, to answer your question..there is no way to tell if cut-off’s came from a poached animal.

In Colorado (for example), it’s not illegal to possess cut-off antlers and salvage tags are not required for deadheads.

There are very few states that require salvage tags, so for the most part...it’s a non-issue as far as legality.

In OK you are not not allowed to sell anything related to wild game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In OK you are not not allowed to sell anything related to wild game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Same for Ca, with an exemption for Taxidermist to recoup costs when a customer bails on them.

On a related thought, I imagine this can be an issue for Antler handle knives in some states, yet such knives can be bought all day long online.

Interesting how it all varies. Doesn't Colorado have seasons now to prevent winter kill? I could see the NM units that get decent winters getting on board with that. But it seems to be less of an issue with the milder winters.

Little side note to add. A lot of NR people travel to shed hunt now to sell the resource. I bet licenses will start being required in western states when they realize the potential for funds.

A lot of non hunters are shed hunting now. Seems like a license requirement would be a solid way to get money back into the conservation if they're not putting anything into (by having licenses, tags.. ect).

Interesting how it all varies. Doesn't Colorado have seasons now to prevent winter kill?

Little side note to add. A lot of NR people travel to shed hunt now to sell the resource. I bet licenses will start being required in western states when they realize the potential for funds.

A lot of non hunters are shed hunting now. Seems like a license requirement would be a solid way to get money back into the conservation if they're not putting anything into (by having licenses, tags.. ect).

Colorado has a shed season for public land (starts May 1st)

Not so much to prevent winter kill, but to stop the shit heads from doing things like running down bulls on ATV’s to try and force-shake off their antlers.

You can shove that shed hunting license. I'm not buying it and I don't want non hunters to have more of a voice. We take there money and we have to hear more voice.
And people buy and sell mounts and hide all the time without tags.
Look at all the mounts in stores. Totally legal.

Colorado has a shed season for public land (starts May 1st)

Not so much to prevent winter kill, but to stop the shit heads from doing things like running down bulls on ATV’s to try and force-shake off their antlers.
Makes sense. People have been doing that here now.

BTW these shed hunting threads get locked up often.
Seems to be pretty split on here with passionate people on both sides.
Lot of guys doing antler chew businesses that got my wondering about it. All grey area for sure.

Makes sense. People have been doing that here now.

Lot of guys doing antler chew businesses that got my wondering about it. All grey area for sure.
I don't think it is.
If it was illegal im sure some authorities would swing in. No way there are multitudes of people doing this without someone crapping in there punch bull.
Just seems to be something you have a hard on for.

I don't think it is.
If it was illegal im sure some authorities would swing in. No way there are multitudes of people doing this without someone crapping in there punch bull.
Just seems to be something you have a hard on for.
Was just wondering. It's blatantly illegal to saw antler off heads in NM. I know other states are different that's why I was curious if there was something to it I didnt know about. It has to be sold with the cap still and a receipt.

I imagine threads don't get locked for discussion until guys like you come into the convo. You can just say "Oregon allows it" and move on.

License I meant just a normal hunting license like we already have. To bring more funds to the states conservation. Not a new one.

Back