Shed Hunting: Where’s the beef and what’s the best way to manage it?

CorbLand

WKR
Im just not into drugs, and haven't needed to have someone murdered yet, and full auto just isn't that cool.
But brown shed antlers on the other hand.
If brown sheds are that important to you. Just break the law when it gets regulated.

Nobody has ever said you don’t have a choice.

Can we just ban you tube.
Or Eric Chesser or maybe the entire Hush brand?

Id say that would holt a big chunk.

And can Veteran's be grandfathered in?

If I'm not out shed hunting. Then all I do in the spring is sit on the couch depressed, getting fat and risking the chance of a ban on Rok with every post.
Endlessly hiking with my pups is the best treatment I've found available.

May 1 is way to late in my areas. By then the green up is so high you have to kick elk sheds to find them.

TSAMP

WKR
To the " we have enough laws" crowd. As if thats an actual argument. Like ok we've hit the quota nothing new can be done until we remove one old law or I won't be free anymore.

This is literally how America works. We decide the laws and how they should be implemented. If you objectively read the thread and then look at how state agencies have reacted in the last few years it's fairly apparent something needs done. No I don't particularly like that it's come to that.

We have a history as outdoorsman of policing ourselves, this is no different. I see the scales tipped heavily toward valid reasons for oversight being needed on shed hunting.

Even here in Iowa. A few parks have been discussing having their own rules about access for shed hunting as there were late season hunters complaining of shed hunters pushing deer around (Early January)

Options:
Requiring a license won't do much.
Implementing a season seems the least invasive and best way to start.
Banning sale of antlers doesn't bother me necessarily, but then what about trapping and fur sales?
Banning access to winter range for all seems to be most extreme and likely the best for critters And worse for everyone else.

To the " we have enough laws" crowd. As if thats an actual argument. Like ok we've hit the quota nothing new can be done until we remove one old law or I won't be free anymore.

This is literally how America works. We decide the laws and how they should be implemented. If you objectively read the thread and then look at how state agencies have reacted in the last few years it's fairly apparent something needs done. No I don't particularly like that it's come to that.

We have a history as outdoorsman of policing ourselves, this is no different. I see the scales tipped heavily toward valid reasons for oversight being needed on shed hunting.

Even here in Iowa. A few parks have been discussing having their own rules about access for shed hunting as there were late season hunters complaining of shed hunters pushing deer around (Early January)

Options:
Banning sale of antlers doesn't bother me necessarily, but then what about trapping and fur sales?
Banning access to winter range for all seems to be most extreme and likely the best for critters And worse for everyone else.
Create more laws because these ones we don't enforce is the same play anti 2A uses.

Murder is already illegal.
Game harassment is already illegal.

OP
Huntinaz

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
How is the meat any different than a shed?

What are these better ways?
I’ve outlined them already, and you said you agreed with them. And, I’m not sure how to better explain the difference of selling something dead vs an inanimate object that was never alive

How is meat like a shed?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve outlined them already, and you said you agreed with them. And, I’m not sure how to better explain the difference of selling something dead vs an inanimate object that was never alive

How is meat like a shed?
They both come from animals. They both lead to the death of animals. Obviously to different extents. One is legal to sell and one is not. It’s been stated on here multiple times.

I’m sorry that we are advocating against your ability to make money off a public resource. This is what it comes down to. I feel like I’m talking to newberg. As much as you say it isn’t about profiting off a public resource we all know it is.

They both come from animals. They both lead to the death of animals. Obviously to different extents. One is legal to sell and one is not. It’s been stated on here multiple times.

I’m sorry that we are advocating against your ability to make money off a public resource. This is what it comes down to. I feel like I’m talking to newberg. As much as you say it isn’t about profiting off a public resource we all know it is.
People make money off firewood.
Matter of fact yesterday I just saw another big crop of trees rung so they are standing dead.

Let's ban it.

And let's ban outfitters. No making money off public resources.

And oil.
Oil should not be for profit.

Ucsdryder

WKR
People make money off firewood.
Matter of fact yesterday I just saw another big crop of trees rung so they are standing dead.

Let's ban it.

And let's ban outfitters. No making money off public resources.

And oil.
Oil should not be for profit.
Don’t all of those require a permit? Don’t all of those cost money to get a permit? Don’t all of those have government oversight? Doesn’t the government tell you when where how you can do all of those? I think we are arguing for the same thing! Finally!

Don’t all of those require a permit? Don’t all of those cost money to get a permit? Don’t all of those have government oversight? Doesn’t the government tell you when where how you can do all of those? I think we are arguing for the same thing! Finally!
And I think the selling of firewood cut on public should be illegal.
Cause I'm pretty sure those permits are for personal use.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m glad that I’m old and in my hey day did not have to deal with some stuff of today. I have sold about 10k through the decades but keep most as well. There is a way it can be done with little to no impact. heavy wintering grounds and some areas should have some restrictions in play. Paying to do this is plain silly imo. All states and areas are not equal on how it can or may impact things. There are things on the landscape that do a lot more harm 365 days a year than a shed hunter. For 99% of guys your spending way more than you can ever make selling so you better enjoy hiking. Till my next go🤙 And like my elk addiction I like big antlers😍

Attachments

• 46A6F131-3665-4910-ACCF-8856EFBDB15C.jpeg
    46A6F131-3665-4910-ACCF-8856EFBDB15C.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 38
  • FDD02F04-D14A-450F-9C24-E8458F49983D.jpeg
    FDD02F04-D14A-450F-9C24-E8458F49983D.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
Huntinaz

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in real close alignment in thought with @Ross

Some beauties in there!

Last edited:
OP
Huntinaz

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider

There’s just as much entitlement in this response than in any of mine

I’m sorry we disagree but I’m also comfortable with the disagreement. I like to sell the sheds I don’t keep and it’s nice to be able to do. That’s not the only reason I do it nor is it the main source of enjoyment I get from it. We disagree a lot about the impact of shed hunting on herds

Regarding your first paragraph there, one is legal to sell and one is not due to the “different extents” you mentioned. Those differences are stark, create starkly different incentives, and is the reason why they are not and should not be treated the same. The incentives created by the ability to sell meat and the ability to sell a shed are wildly different

svivian

WKR
Speaking of things Roksliders hate on public land... how about them Ebikes? How many sheds can I have on me while riding one of those things out of a wintering range that's a wilderness area?

Oh and don't forget to smash the like button and subscribe for more content

#HUSHLIFE#BROWNTOWN#ATL#MTNOPS#KEEPHAMMERING#FATTIRERIDER

CorbLand

WKR

How is meat like a shed?
Meat and a shed both come from an animal. With meat you are required to purchase a tag, sheds you are not. What else are you legally able to take and sell on public land without having to buy a permit of some type?

I don’t agree with making people buy a license or anything to pick or sell sheds but the smartest things shed hunters could do is shut their mouths. The more the issue gets pushed and brought to the forefront, the more questions are going to be asked. It would be well within a States preview to require some sort of permit to pickup and/or sell sheds.

Oldffemt

WKR
Yep, lets make a shed season to "protect" wildlife in the winter range (starting in 2018). But in the same vein, introduce wolves?

The shed laws in Colorado have no logic behind them. If I can traverse the winter range then that means winter is over and there is plentiful vegetation for the animals to eat. If I can't, then there is either 3 ft+ of snow on the ground or its runoff and a complete mud fest. Where you would find sheds here its near impossible to traverse until early April.

May 1st is way too arbitrary to cover "west of I-25". Most of the western slope has been snow free for a few weeks, while Kremmling is finally coming out of winter in the lower areas.
I can assure you that there absolutely has not been enough vegetation to feed herds of elk, deer and antelope around kremmling yet this year. There won’t be until sometime in may. Doesn’t stop the shed hunters from getting an early start and stashing piles of em though. Pushing herds around the whole time. Me and another guy spent half a day trying to catch a guy on a snowmobile that was chasing herds of elk to try and get them to drop antlers. I had to stand there and just watch 2 dudes on 2 side by sides do donuts and throw rooster tails getting within feet of a small herd of elk. They’re not from here and don’t give a crap. Once I caught up with them I tried to use enough profanity and personal insults to make them never want to come back. That’s all I had to work with! CPW doesn’t seem to have LE on staff on the weekends, all you get is a recording when you call. It’s really helpful.
I do predator hunt around the wintering grounds but there’s no reason to put enough pressure on the herd to make them want to move. If you’re getting that close to try to call you’ve likely already blown out any predators in the area, at least in my area.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I can assure you that there absolutely has not been enough vegetation to feed herds of elk, deer and antelope around kremmling yet this year. There won’t be until sometime in may. Doesn’t stop the shed hunters from getting an early start and stashing piles of em though. Pushing herds around the whole time. Me and another guy spent half a day trying to catch a guy on a snowmobile that was chasing herds of elk to try and get them to drop antlers. I had to stand there and just watch 2 dudes on 2 side by sides do donuts and throw rooster tails getting within feet of a small herd of elk. They’re not from here and don’t give a crap. Once I caught up with them I tried to use enough profanity and personal insults to make them never want to come back. That’s all I had to work with! CPW doesn’t seem to have LE on staff on the weekends, all you get is a recording when you call. It’s really helpful.
I do predator hunt around the wintering grounds but there’s no reason to put enough pressure on the herd to make them want to move. If you’re getting that close to try to call you’ve likely already blown out any predators in the area, at least in my area.
That sucks. Just south of town in the valley the deer have had plenty to eat (not as much as last year though). I've also seen elk in areas I haven't seen in a hot minute. Herds have definitely stayed much closer to the roads this year.

Ucsdryder

WKR
this right here. Should pretty much put an end to the debate. My experiences have been similar, but not as extreme.

Reactions: OMB

OMB

WKR

Options:

Bingo- this isn't just a problem out West. Between influencers hyping up shed hunting, and the commercial market, it's created a lot of issues in the East too. I'm to the point I'm actively advocating in my circles that commercial sales of shed antlers be banned. I used to pull trail cameras at my family's farm in Iowa on Thanksgiving so I wouldn't leave them out over winter, and now I'm having to leave them up to catch people trespassing in January and February looking for sheds. For what? An antler off a deer from a farm that isn't within 20 miles of where you're legally able to hunt? I'm just dumbfounded every time we even have people ask for permission to do it.

I would bet that I'm as conservative, small government minded as anyone registered to post on this site, and I'm 100% on board with any government regulation that turns "shed hunting" back into a hobby instead of an industry. It's like fanning turkeys, people within the hunting "industry" (not the sport) refuse to hold themselves accountable because god forbid they pee in the tent and jeopardize their income and we're worse off as a group of hunters.

It's too ironic that the people most vocally against "participation trophies" are sticking up for the most literal participation trophy of them all: an antler that's no longer on the head of animal.