Any advice for career burnout? Can’t think of a new interest to pursue?

Move to GA and open a deer cutting business..... They are shutting down left and right and people have nowhere to take their deer to get processed any more and the guys that are open stay so busy that they have to shut down 5 days a week just to get caught up.

I ran the numbers and a guy could easily clear 100K a year.....EASILY. We thought about it but I don't want to be so tied down during hunting season.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is your job title? What are your daily tasks? Have you done any other jobs n the past? How long ago? autoglass technician for the last 20 years. Prior to that I detailed cars and worked at donut shop while in school

What is your current income? How much do you think you should be paid for the job you do?
income varies but ranges $53-63k with benefits. I’d like to make $75 without killing myself with long hours.

Do you have a boss? How many bosses? How often do you interact with them? Do you get along with them? recently took a new job so it’s too soon to say.

Everyone has different needs so trying to gauge your situation.

On a side note there are many many job opportunities now. May push you out of your comfort zone but that’s what growth is about.

The biggest hindrance to a great job is a good job! So if you have a bad job it’s usually easier to quit and move on

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about finding a side hustle that could someday replace your income and more. It’s America

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the idea, just don’t know what I’d have to offer or how to start.

Rich M

WKR
Any way you can get some new training?
- Lotsa stuff online. I spent $8900 with a tech school, I’m really shy of spending again unless it actually excites me. That’s my main issue, finding something that’s exciting.

I can understand that. I went and got an MBA when I hit a low - it helped quite a bit. I had it before I left that job described below.

Anyway you can contact the school and see if they can provide some placement or leads to folks who are looking?

You may be able to slightly shift focus into a new career. Use your talents in a diff capacity.
- I just need out of my industry, looking at how I might shift out of it.

What you can do is break your job down into tasks and responsibilities. Auto Glass technician - Assess damage, determine correct replacement, Select proper window from inventory - Verify inventory and Order more if running low, etc. Then break it down into words - Assess, Select, Verify, Order and run with those. That's what you actually do, the window part just helps provide a way to do it.

Imo, burnout often comes from above.
- not sure what that means?

A bad boss makes for a poor work environment. Sometimes you have to plow thru and just put up with it if you can see something positive in the future.

Had a job for 2 years and it sucked. I was supposed to be the manager but they ultimately put a field guy in the office manager spot over me but i was still responsible for the technical end of things and had to sign off on all the reports. He gave me 2 bad reviews 2 years running for being micromanaged and doing what he told me to do. Told him to start doing what i did. He said he didnt have the qualifications, just said I know and left after the magical 2 weeks. 10 years later Im a partner at a diff company.
-Similar situation with me lately. Took a job that wanted my industry experience as they were new to it. Turns out they also hired a guy who can’t do the physical work so he’s the one spearheading things and I’m back to being grunt.

That sucks. What I was talking about how our satisfaction often comes down to our bosses and such. BTDT more than once. What's the other guy got that you don't? More experience? Friends with boss? Management experience?

Did you enjoy spearheading stuff? A semi-lateral move to another similar company where you supervise? Maybe talk to your existing employer and tell him that you thought you they hired you for your experience and abilities, not for your sweat labor. Yes, Bob is a great guy, but you didn't sign-on to do the work, you were fine doing it at the last place you came from... Would that hurt the employer relationship?

My company has about 40 folks total. We would rather know someone is unhappy and be able to fix a situation than to lose a good employee. Then there is that guy or two where if they left, they weren't really providing a good return to the company - high maintenance, shoddy work, drama, etc. I gotta say it - Be careful if you are one of those.

ODB

WKR
I feel your pain. I am paid fairly well, have a solid job, but am pretty burned out with the day-to-day.

I am pursuing two side projects in the hopes of replacing my day job salary: one is building a 3-4 site lodge for vacation rentals/Airbnb, the other is small scale publishing.

I don’t know if either will work. I am seeing more land pop up for sale right now I think in anticipation of a more serious economic retraction and hope to capitalize if/when things look more reasonable. Part of both of these projects is building something that my kid can run and eventually take over.

I have no idea how to do work from home stuff, it would be a nice change of pace and flexibility. I got nothing to hustle on the side.
If you don't mind talking to people on the phone and can speak and type the king's english, you could become a recruiter. That's really all there is to it to get started.

Initial pay may be in the 50K range, but after you get a few years of experience you can jump up to the 80K mark, then find the right company and you can go way above 100K

Pros:
Work from home.
Decent money

Cons:
Talking to people on the phone who want something from you (fake conversations that may be repetitive in nature).
Teammates and managers you interact with are generally stereotypical corporate types who don't know how to change a tire, are probably libs, and mostly women.
Working from home can make a man soft. You will have to be diligent about an exercise regimen.
Soul sucking, thankless, never-ending job.

2 kinds of recruiting:

Agency: head hunting, eat what you kill....pay can be $0-$600K. You will be micro-managed....it's a production environment. They want you to produce fees or be gone. All about making money.

Corporate: managing the process....stabile income....6 figures is doable with experience, but won't make near what you can in agency role. Lots of corporate meetings, lame team events (Office Space), more work than time, but no one breathing down your back. Work life balance.

Last edited:
Now is a great time to get into a different trade. Have you thought about becoming an electrician or plumber? I don't know how the Denver area is, but in the Boise metro area, the building trades are literally screaming for help. My middle daughter is a second year electrician apprentice, she will be close to making your target salary this year (lots of OT) . Every heavy construction company here is short handed and are compensating very well.

archp625

WKR
I’m pretty certain that I’m just too burned out to feel a passion or interest in anything new. I’ve seriously contemplated just quitting so I could have a clear mind but paying bills needs to happen. Unfortunately I live in a high cost of living area so just taking a random intermediate job isn’t going be enough income. Relocation is a possibility after the kids are out (oh wait I live in Denver, they’ll never be able to afford living on their own😀) but I still need to have a direction for myself.
This has been going on for several years so I don’t think it’s just a phase.
I have been there as well as you and others. Its so dang hard but I did it 5.5 years ago and do not regret it one bit. I still dabble in my other career so there is that. I am now light years away in pay as well. Just get in a hustle and the money will come.

Another recommendation is you need some time off to just do you.

gbflyer

WKR
There are only 2 bad jobs my friend. That’s the one I’m leaving, and the next one I’m going to.

There are always exceptions, say if your job involves being put into unwanted physical danger. But generally speaking change comes from within, new scenery is just that.

For sure this is a good time to get work, anyone who doesn’t mind getting dirty will have a job, new or old, immediately. I can certainly appreciate wanting to GTFO of Denver. Yuck. But a change will present many other difficulties which may or may not be worth it.

Good luck man, you’re not alone in your thoughts.

Everytime I changed jobs, the reason was not the job but frustration with incompetent management. When I had enough I started looking for new opportunities. I advanced my education, made contacts at other jobs of interest so I had an insider view of the opportunities as well as an understanding of what I was getting into.

Most changes took 1-2 years. Some of the jobs only lasted 1-2 years but I moved on to the next one. As I have aged I have become less and tolerant of idiots. Thankfully being a contractor and having a retirement has allowed me the ability to be as honest as I need to be in accepting jobs.

Increase your knowledge and skills and don't be shy in exploring for potential opportunities. You only have one life. Just don't make rash decisions.

freshta

WKR
Transition and become self-employed. Your time, your hours, your choice of customers or clients, your choice to work or take the day off. Unlimited opportunity in this country for people who actually want to work and not wait on the next government handout.
^^^ This

*zap*

WKR
I feel for those who are not higher income homes.....and are raising kids as the nation goes down the tubes and things become more and more unaffordable. I hear there is a baby formula shortage now or coming soon....what a mess...
Bringing third world living to the USA.....no wonder they want many tens of millions of third world people here...
Thanks joe.

Last edited:

AZ8

WKR
I was in your boat at the end of 2020. I took a huge risk and walked away from a very large income and compensation package. Although there was some burnout, I left mostly due to stress. Not gonna lie, it was scary.

Pay check today is significantly less, but I’m in a good place now. You’ll never see a hearse pulling a U-Haul.

I can’t offer any advice that hasn’t been presented by others, but with wife and kids, make sure you think it out first. Hope you find a path that leads to other opportunities. Best of luck!

Geewhiz

WKR
Tell you what man, I'm finding out right now more than ever, there is an insane amount of work out there (making good wages) for a go getter.

Relocate to an area with a lower cost of living like mentioned and find something that you really do enjoy.

tony

WKR
So are you a mechanic?
so much side money potential there. People can’t and won’t fix vehicles these days.
Friend of mine opened his own garage and is making money like gangster.
Another friend works for the water company for benefits and retirement.
Does oil changes, brakes, tune ups after work and on the week ends in his home garage.

Don’t go to nursing school 😁

I think finding that place that has a lower cost of living is becoming more and more difficult. I made a slight career change back in 2019, went from field clinician working with Home Health patients to managing the office staff for that Home Health and Hospice agency, mainly took the job to get more experience and access to the Electronic Health Record that we used. I then became very proficient with that program and used that experience to segway completely away from the patient care side of healthcare and got into the computer side of healthcare. Do I sit behind a computer all day yes, but is it better than what I was doing and pay me more, yes. It also is a step into a career path that has a broad opportunity range. I won't have to stay in healthcare forever and likely won't. I guess moral of the story is this, if you are at all computer literate you would be surprised the jobs you could qualify for and likely get, most of the training is on the job.

Could you take your industry knowledge and get into sales? That experience and knowledge is valuable to the right company somewhere.